Quantcast
I'm starting to give up on Phil Spencer...

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - I'm starting to give up on Phil Spencer...

He's taken Xbox back to a position of hardware power.
He's been at the helm for amazing consumer oriented programs like EA Access, Xbox Gamepass, Play Anywhere, 360 BC, and now OG Xbox BC.
If this E3 was any indication, he's brought indies/smaller titles back to the forefront, like they were at the end of the 360 lifespan, which was a great time to be a 360 owner.

I'm sure he wants to bring first party investment up, but it takes time. They had a strong first party showing at this E3, just nothing we didn't already know about aside from Forza 7. Also, PlayerUnknowns Battleground? Exclusive launch for Xbone? That's a big deal.

I think he's done a good job so far given what he inherited. Games take years to make. I'd love to see what his team brings for a new gen console launch.



Around the Network
LudicrousSpeed said:
He's taken Xbox back to a position of hardware power.
He's been at the helm for amazing consumer oriented programs like EA Access, Xbox Gamepass, Play Anywhere, 360 BC, and now OG Xbox BC.
If this E3 was any indication, he's brought indies/smaller titles back to the forefront, like they were at the end of the 360 lifespan, which was a great time to be a 360 owner.

I'm sure he wants to bring first party investment up, but it takes time. They had a strong first party showing at this E3, just nothing we didn't already know about aside from Forza 7. Also, PlayerUnknowns Battleground? Exclusive launch for Xbone? That's a big deal.

I think he's done a good job so far given what he inherited. Games take years to make. I'd love to see what his team brings for a new gen console launch.

Phil Spencer had a good first party showing but when compared to the competition pales in comparison when you look at them side by side. When you close your show with a game you have marketing rights for it shows what you think of your product.



S.T.A.G.E. said:
LudicrousSpeed said:
He's taken Xbox back to a position of hardware power.
He's been at the helm for amazing consumer oriented programs like EA Access, Xbox Gamepass, Play Anywhere, 360 BC, and now OG Xbox BC.
If this E3 was any indication, he's brought indies/smaller titles back to the forefront, like they were at the end of the 360 lifespan, which was a great time to be a 360 owner.

I'm sure he wants to bring first party investment up, but it takes time. They had a strong first party showing at this E3, just nothing we didn't already know about aside from Forza 7. Also, PlayerUnknowns Battleground? Exclusive launch for Xbone? That's a big deal.

I think he's done a good job so far given what he inherited. Games take years to make. I'd love to see what his team brings for a new gen console launch.

Phil Spencer had a good first party showing but when compared to the competition pales in comparison when you look at them side by side. When you close your show with a game you have marketing rights for it shows what you think of your product.

When Sony closed their psx 2015 with epic games's paragon, which is for PS4 and Microsoft Windows, they called it a "drop the mic moment". A multiplat. What did that say about Sony? 



Didn't they close 2016 with Andromeda? But I'm sure these don't count for uh, reasons :)



LudicrousSpeed said:
He's taken Xbox back to a position of hardware power.

He's been at the helm for amazing consumer oriented programs like EA Access, Xbox Gamepass, Play Anywhere, 360 BC, and now OG Xbox BC.
If this E3 was any indication, he's brought indies/smaller titles back to the forefront, like they were at the end of the 360 lifespan, which was a great time to be a 360 owner.

I'm sure he wants to bring first party investment up, but it takes time. They had a strong first party showing at this E3, just nothing we didn't already know about aside from Forza 7. Also, PlayerUnknowns Battleground? Exclusive launch for Xbone? That's a big deal.

I think he's done a good job so far given what he inherited. Games take years to make. I'd love to see what his team brings for a new gen console launch.

Introduced more expensive hardware that historically has not done well. Removed the boundaries on their exclusives, and with it partially the incentive to stick to gaming within the Xbox family, and that's one really interesting way of putting that they lack AAA exclusives.

It takes time? They've had adequate time. Hes been running the whole divison for over three years. A veteran of the business. They've had to shut a few studios and cancel games, but the re-investment in their first party, or in third party deals, should have happened by now.



A thing of beauty, strength, and grace lies behind that whiskered face.

Around the Network
UltimateGamer1982 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Phil Spencer had a good first party showing but when compared to the competition pales in comparison when you look at them side by side. When you close your show with a game you have marketing rights for it shows what you think of your product.

When Sony closed their psx 2015 with epic games's paragon, which is for PS4 and Microsoft Windows, they called it a "drop the mic moment". A multiplat. What did that say about Sony? 

Dunno... but sonys internal first party says more about them. EA and crystal dynamics have even copied their first party. Ever played stars wars the force unleashed, dantes inferno and time or tomb raiders reboot? A couple names.



Tomb Raider was heading in the direction it's at now before Uncharted came around. Play TR Anniversary :)

As if Sony invented the narrative driven action game anyway LOL.



A brutally honest assessment. Well said Super, you're seeing the light. You'll be more then welcome to playstation next year.



It's so hard to tell where they went wrong. But, I think they let the whole power issue drive them nuts this gen, to the point where they overshot the specs for their upgrade and, well, overestimated the market in comparison. Phil Spencer is a man who paid attention to social media and message board chatter about his division, and it kind of became an undoing. Having to match their competitors step by step, or trying to outdo them with PR moves led them to this point. Trying to convince people that weren't buying their consoles, and customers that were lukewarm on their exclusives, to buy a new console from them at double the price to improve their experience.

All that's fine to try and keep your customers happy and bring attention to your product, but now they've painted themselves in a corner. They've basically made a Steambox that ONLY plays Xbox games. It's a higher spec walled garden with a casual-unfriendly price. Maybe they've priced themselves out of the game, but, I've been wrong about these things before.

They ended up envying Sony's multiplat position, so they backed off the prospect of first party exclusives and doubled down on new hardware. Anyway, maybe it's not as bad as it seems, but I'm failing to see the silver lining right now.



Kerotan said:
A brutally honest assessment. Well said Super, you're seeing the light. You'll be more then welcome to playstation next year.

The true light is the non-fanboy route, not the PlayStation route!