Forums - Gaming Discussion - Exactly how much difference is there between the PS/XB and the Switch?

bigtakilla said:

Right now, the best way to tell the difference is by looking at Dragon Quest XI *edit* Heroes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgYM5g_auD0

This should say everything. Performance seems to take small hits on Switch, the shadows are harsh, the lighting flat, the textures are lower res, there is less foliage, worse geometry, ect. That's not to mention I don't really think Dragon Quest is all that demanding of a game, but more so than LCU and the snake game.

Although that probably is the best comparison so far (because there are so few), I suspect it's not a good one none the less as it's not a particularly graphic heavy game, and it gives me the impression of a lazy port, because they let the game run at around ~20 fps in undocked mode on Switch judging by digital foundry's performance analysis. (Runs at 60f on PS4). This is one of those games where framerate is important, so it's possible the game could have looked and run better if they put more effort into it, or even looked worse than it already does for them to reach a 30fps target for handheld mode.

I wonder how many, if any, graphically demanding game comparisons we'll be able to see in the future though.

bigtakilla said:

It goes a little deeper than that, I mean it won't even be the exact same game on Switch at 720p and 30fps. There will be less effects, and more than likely a cut back as far as foliage, textures, ect. I honestly don't think we will ever get a clear indication as I don't think any third parties will ever take the take to properly port a massive AAA game to max the Switch out.

In some cases they could possibly solve it by just lowering the resolution and framerate. I wouldn't be surprised if that's all they did to a game like I Am Setsuna for example. But in other cases for more demanding games where they scale back the graphics to the point where the game the starts looking like a poor representation of the original game, you have to start manually removing objects instead that can be crucial for the overal game presentation as well, and even the functionality.



Around the Network

only on xbox one 185 games

Titel Release-date
Action News Heroes released
AE Lucky Fishing TBA
Air Missions: HIND TBA
Amazing Princess Sarah released
Anarcute released
Anode released
Astroneer released
Ashen 2017
Azito x Tatsunoko Legends Bislang nur in Japan erhältlich
Beacon 2017
Beatsplosion for Kinect released
Ben-Hur released
Bike Mayhem 2 released
Blast Brawl 2 released
Book of Demons 2017
Boom Ball for Kinect released
Boom Ball for Kinect 2 released
Bridge Constructor Stunts released
Calibre 10 Racing Series 2017
Candleman 01. Feb 17
Castle Crashers: Remastered released
Chuck's Challenge 3D TBA
Clash released
Clouds & Sheep 2 released
ClusterPuck 99 released
Cobalt released
Conan Exiles 2017
Crabitron TBA
Crackdown 3 2017
Crash Force 2017
Crimson Dragon released
Crypt of the Serpent King released
Cubot - The Complexity of Simplicity released
Cuphead 2017
D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die released
Dad Beat Dads released
Dance Central Spotlight released
Dead Rising 3 released
Dead Rising 4 released
Death God University released
Dovetail Games Euro Fishing released
Dovetail Games Train Simulator 2016 2017
Draw a Stickman: EPIC released
Dungeon Of The Endless released
Elementales TBA
Energy Cycle released
Enigmatis 2: The Mists of Ravenwood released
ENKI TBA
Eventide: Slavic Fable released
Everspace released
Fantasia: Music Evolved released
Fermi's Path released
Fighter Within released
Fortified released
Forza Horizon 2 released
Forza Horizon 2: Presents Fast & Furious released
Forza Horizon 3 released
Forza Motorsport 5 released
Forza Motorsport 6 released
Friday Night Bullet Arena released
Fru released
Fruit Ninja Kinect 2 released
Gears of War 4 released
Gears of War: Ultimate Edition released
Gemini - A Tale of Two Stars TBA
Gigantic released
Glitchrunners 2017
Global Mission 2 TBA
G Prime Into The Rain released
Grim Legends: The Forsaken Bride released
GunWorld: Xbox One Edition released
Hack, Slash & Backstab released
Halo 5: Guardians released
Halo: Spartan Assault released
Halo: The Master Chief Collection released
Halo Wars 2 21. Feb 17
Halo Wars: Definitive Edition 2017
Happy Dou Dizhu TBA
Happy Dungeons released
Happy Mahjong TBA
Happy Wars released
Horse Racing 2016 released
Hyperdrive Massacre released
#IDARB released
I'm MT 2 TBA
In Between released
Into the Belly of the Beast released
Ion TBA
JumpJet Rex released
Kaiju Panic released
Kalimba! released
Killer Instinct released
Kinect Sports Rivals released
Kingdom: New Lands released
Knight Squad released
Kung Fu for Kinect released
KYUB released
Land It! released
Lies of Astaroth released
LocoCycle released
Magic Duels released
Magic: The Gathering – Duels of the Planeswalkers 2015 released
MagNets released
Massive Chalice released
Max: The Curse of Brotherhood released
Momentum released
Monkey King Saga released
MoNochroma released
Monster Buster: Agency 2017
Mystereet F: The Detectives’ Curtain Call TBA
Natsuki Chronicle 2017
Nevermind released
Nightmares from the Deep 2: The Siren's Call released
One Hundred Ways released
Orbit released
Outward - The Adventurer Life Sim 2017
Ori and the Blind Forest released
Path of Exile 2017
Perfect Woman released
Phantasmal: City of Darkness 2017
Phantom Dust 2017
Pit People released
Pixel Heroes: Byte & Magic released
Polychromatic released
Powerstar Golf released
Project Spark released
Q released
Quantum Break released
Quantum Rush: Champions released
Quatros Origins released
Raiden 5 released
Rare Replay released
ReCore released
Reversi Quest released
Rise & Shine released
Rivals Of Aether released
Roblox released
Ryse: Son of Rome released
Sea of Thieves 2017
Shape Up released
Shooting Love Trilogy 2017
Shred It! released
Screamride released
Slice Zombies for Kinect released
Slime Rancher (Game Preview) released
Snooker Nation Championship released
Soda Drinker Pro released
Solar Shifter EX released
Sombrero 2017
Spareware released
Speedboat Challenge released
Squid Hero for Kinect released
Standpoint released
Starpoint Gemini 2 released
State of Decay 2 2017
State of Decay: Year One Survival Edition released
Stranger of Sword City released
Students of the Round 2 2017
Sunset Overdrive released
Super Party Sports: Football released
Sword of Legends TBA
Swordy 2017
TACOMA 2017
Tenebrae: Twilight of the Gods 2017
The Adventure Pals 2017
The Culling 2017
The Living Dungeon released
The Long Dark (Game Preview) released
The Solus Project released
The Toilet Chronicles TBA
Thimbleweed Park Q1 2017
Threes released
Titanfall released
Toy Odyssey released
Trulon: The Shadow Engine Q1 2017
Unnamed Fiasco released
Voice Commander Bislang nur in den USA erhältlich
Voodoo Vince Remastered Q1 2017
We Happy Few (Game Preview) released
Westerado: Double Barreled released
World II: Hunting Boss released
Wulverblade TBA
Xbox Fitness released
Zoo Tycoon released



Hiku said:
bigtakilla said:

Right now, the best way to tell the difference is by looking at Dragon Quest XI *edit* Heroes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgYM5g_auD0

This should say everything. Performance seems to take small hits on Switch, the shadows are harsh, the lighting flat, the textures are lower res, there is less foliage, worse geometry, ect. That's not to mention I don't really think Dragon Quest is all that demanding of a game, but more so than LCU and the snake game.

Although that probably is the best comparison so far (because there are so few), I suspect it's not a good one none the less as it's not a particularly graphic heavy game, and it gives me the impression of a lazy port, because they let the game run at around ~20 fps in undocked mode on Switch judging by digital foundry's performance analysis. (Runs at 60f on PS4). This is one of those games where framerate is important, so it's possible the game could have looked and run better if they put more effort into it, or even looked worse than it already does for them to reach a 30fps target for handheld mode.

I wonder how many, if any, graphically demanding game comparisons we'll be able to see in the future though.

bigtakilla said:

It goes a little deeper than that, I mean it won't even be the exact same game on Switch at 720p and 30fps. There will be less effects, and more than likely a cut back as far as foliage, textures, ect. I honestly don't think we will ever get a clear indication as I don't think any third parties will ever take the take to properly port a massive AAA game to max the Switch out.

In some cases they could possibly solve it by just lowering the resolution and framerate. I wouldn't be surprised if that's all they did to a game like I Am Setsuna for example. But in other cases for more demanding games where they scale back the graphics to the point where the game the starts looking like a poor representation of the original game, you have to start manually removing objects instead that can be crucial for the overal game presentation as well, and even the functionality.

Agreed. Results will vary, but I was strictly talking about huge budget AAA games that push the PS4 and Xbone.



Went to a few stores today got a switch, but no zelda or mario kart in stock, all they had was 1 -2 switch, thanks nut no thanks, i reckon it will beat the wii but only if they can fix thr supply issue, didnt actually think id get a switch today, but i did. But no software damn nintendo.



old skool

When docked it's certainly twice as fast as a X360/PS3/Wii-U... but only a third as fast as a Xbox One and nearly a fourth as a PS4, already considering the differences between the Maxwell and the GCN architecture. But hey, it's better than a GTX 8800 (when docked) and can run gorgeous games like Rise of the Tomb Raider for X360 or Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception at double their framerates.







 

 

 

 

 

Around the Network
haxxiy said:
When docked it's certainly twice as fast as a X360/PS3/Wii-U... but only a third as fast as a Xbox One and nearly a fourth as a PS4, already considering the differences between the Maxwell and the GCN architecture. But hey, it's better than a GTX 8800 (when docked) and can run gorgeous games like Rise of the Tomb Raider for X360 or Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception at double their framerates.





When docked. When undocked it will net you about the same results as the PS3 Xbox 360. Anyways yeah, beefed up 7th gen and nowhere near 8th gen is the results we're getting currently, and I don't expect much more from this 9th gen machine.  



raidinglarastomb said:
Went to a few stores today got a switch, but no zelda or mario kart in stock, all they had was 1 -2 switch, thanks nut no thanks, i reckon it will beat the wii but only if they can fix thr supply issue, didnt actually think id get a switch today, but i did. But no software damn nintendo.

That's strange! I'd assume that it'd be easier to find software than hardware!!



On paper? XB1 is about 7x more powerful than a Switch in handheld mode and about 3.5x stronger than a docked Switch. PS4 is about 9x more powerful than a Switch in handheld mode and about 4.5x more powerful than a docked Switch.

In practice? XB1 is probably somewhere around 5x more powerful than a Switch in handheld mode and about 2.5x stronger than a Switch that is docked. PS4 probably around 7x more powerful than a Switch in handheld mode and 3.5x more powerful than a docked Switch.

It's a big enough power difference for most AAA devs to skip Switch rather than force parity on XB1/PS4/PC or design assets that are even lower quality than PC low settings just for Switch. 



bigtakilla said:
Barozi said:

Sure, but if the game is already running at 1080p 60FPS on PS4, the console probably isn't maxed out. It could probably run with a stable 70FPS if the framerate wasn't locked. Thus the Switch version is likely to be a lot closer to the other versions, since that one is surely going to be maxed out.

A multiplat game with a few framerate issues on the most powerful console would be an even more efficient comparison.

Those games won't come to Switch.

What games?

do you mean

http://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/nba-2k18-switch#game-details



Fancy hearing me on an amateur podcast with friends gushing over one of my favourite games? https://youtu.be/1I7JfMMxhf8

Ganoncrotch said:
bigtakilla said:

Those games won't come to Switch.

What games?

do you mean

http://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/nba-2k18-switch#game-details

If you believe NBA 2K18 is a game that will cause issues to the xbone/ps4 then yeah.... But it won't, so no not talking about that game.