Quantcast
Horizon: Zero Dawn worldwide sales top 2.6 million (sell-through)

Forums - Sony Discussion - Horizon: Zero Dawn worldwide sales top 2.6 million (sell-through)

Jaicee said:

I think that in some cases (like Naughty Dog's recent past) you're right about that. However, I think you'll find that it's just as often the case that when a major publisher achieves success with a particular story, they respond to that by endlessly repeating more or less the same story on the belief that, hey, this one is safe. (See Japanese RPGs broadly during the first decade of this century, for example.) We're talking about a business here, after all. You'll find that quality art more often than not comes from quarters where there's no realistic possibility of a significant return on investment (like Steam), as this results in different motivations. Or maybe I'm just too skeptical of capitalism to see all the great exceptions that are out there.

Anyway, no worries on getting a little off-topic. I'm enjoying this conversation. :P NieR: Automata's length depends on how you approach it. To simply complete the basic quest takes about 10 hours, but it will take you three playthroughs as different characters (you unlock another more each of your first couple playthroughs) to actually get the crux of the story and the "true ending" of the game and each playthrough will take you about 10 hours. I highly recommend going for the "true ending", which is achieved by completing all three of the endings in the third playthrough. That will pretty much oblige you to do the majority of the side missions. In grand total, it should take you about 30 to 35 hours to finish with the "true ending", which is totally worth it for the unorthodox story and fascinating conclusion. So if you average about two hours a day on the game, you should be able to finish it with the "true ending" before Persona 5 comes out.

I'd be down to play 100 more versions of TLOU In seriousness though, i guess we'll have to wait and see how it goes. Before it can be any kind of influence (either positive or negative), it needs to actually be good first. ND have earnt my confidence on that front, but a lot can go wrong when making a game. 

I think there are some great exceptions, but i do agree Steam and the like are better places to look for such titles. Art often needs a degree of uncompromised honesty, and that can be difficult when your end goal is to sell as many copies as possible. 

Me too! We clearly disagree on a lot of stuff (or more specifically the extent of some things), but it's nice to have a constructive conversation on the internet.

I didn't know Nier had a multi-playthrough narrative, that's pretty neet. I think the last time i played something like that was 999 in 2013 or 2014. Sounds like it's worth the time though, so i'll get that downloaded today. Thanks for the details~



Around the Network
Madword said:
So if we have say a standard drop off, the game has probably already done over 3.5m. Amazing.... in fact so great, I'm going to load it up now and play some more :D

That's for 2 weeks sales. I'm not sure what the standard 3rd week drop off is, but I doubt it's small enough for it to have sold another 900k that week.



Bet Shiken that COD would outsell Battlefield in 2018. http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8749702

Ka-pi96 said:
Madword said:
So if we have say a standard drop off, the game has probably already done over 3.5m. Amazing.... in fact so great, I'm going to load it up now and play some more :D

That's for 2 weeks sales. I'm not sure what the standard 3rd week drop off is, but I doubt it's small enough for it to have sold another 900k that week.

Ah my Bad,

I think we're looking good for 3m anyway.. Perhaps 1.6, 1.7 first week, 900k second week, then maybe 300k-400k+ third week.

 



Making an indie game : Dead of Day!

Zekkyou said:
 

I'd be down to play 100 more versions of TLOU In seriousness though, i guess we'll have to wait and see how it goes. Before it can be any kind of influence (either positive or negative), it needs to actually be good first. ND have earnt my confidence on that front, but a lot can go wrong when making a game. 

I think there are some great exceptions, but i do agree Steam and the like are better places to look for such titles. Art often needs a degree of uncompromised honesty, and that can be difficult when your end goal is to sell as many copies as possible. 

Me too! We clearly disagree on a lot of stuff (or more specifically the extent of some things), but it's nice to have a constructive conversation on the internet.

I didn't know Nier had a multi-playthrough narrative, that's pretty neet. I think the last time i played something like that was 999 in 2013 or 2014. Sounds like it's worth the time though, so i'll get that downloaded today. Thanks for the details~

I have considerable confidence in Naughty Dog as well at this point as well. TLOU II is definitely one I'm looking forward to a lot.

(Not that I think it'd make as big a splash in this country, but I also wish a U.S. release of Blue Reflection would be announced. It seems like, structurally speaking, it's basically Persona, but revolving around girls. There are so many interesting things you could with that that I wish I could experience it for myself!)

And yeah, I kind of like multi-playthrough games myself. The first one I played was Chop Suey for my now-ancient Macintosh computer back in 1995. That game introduced me to the concept of looping narratives. I believe it may have been the first video game to employ that approach, actually. That I've always thought was one of the most wrongly overlooked gems of all time. WAY ahead of its time. Lots of modern indie games use that kind of story structure too, as it helps pack in more content in a way that avoids pricier alternatives like building larger worlds and adding more play modes that can't necessarily be afforded or narratively justified while also adding more weight to your in-game choices. It often works really well! Undertale and Oxenfree are a couple of particularly solid examples from the last couple of years. Of course, NieR: Automata's version of multi-playthrough is more continuous than looping, but it not only makes for interesting storytelling, but also helps keep the scale of the semi-open world navigable (which is a big plus for me because I HATE detective vision :P ).



Jaicee said:
Safiir said:

Source?

Here you go.

I'm not sure interest=sales and in any case this is about a poll among a set of gamers and not an analysis on who bought the game (which would also be irrelevant since there's no way to know if you're buying it for yourself or someone else anyway).



Around the Network

Healthy for the industry that new IPs come in strong. Also well done that it had no season pass or microtransactions and the DLC is being thought of after it was done.



Game kinda deserves it. I'm having a lot of fun with it. It's a real testament to GG and how they can transition from Killzone to an open world game. I will say... if they make a sequel, I expect it to be even better.



Slade the Spade - Reborn

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCiuZkJjGLEh0IikHnSkfSyA

https://twitter.com/kwipgaming

Covert Agent | Professional Troll | Unbiased Fanboy

Jaicee said:
Zekkyou said:

I'd be down to play 100 more versions of TLOU In seriousness though, i guess we'll have to wait and see how it goes. Before it can be any kind of influence (either positive or negative), it needs to actually be good first. ND have earnt my confidence on that front, but a lot can go wrong when making a game. 

I think there are some great exceptions, but i do agree Steam and the like are better places to look for such titles. Art often needs a degree of uncompromised honesty, and that can be difficult when your end goal is to sell as many copies as possible. 

Me too! We clearly disagree on a lot of stuff (or more specifically the extent of some things), but it's nice to have a constructive conversation on the internet.

I didn't know Nier had a multi-playthrough narrative, that's pretty neet. I think the last time i played something like that was 999 in 2013 or 2014. Sounds like it's worth the time though, so i'll get that downloaded today. Thanks for the details~

I have considerable confidence in Naughty Dog as well at this point as well. TLOU II is definitely one I'm looking forward to a lot.

(Not that I think it'd make as big a splash in this country, but I also wish a U.S. release of Blue Reflection would be announced. It seems like, structurally speaking, it's basically Persona, but revolving around girls. There are so many interesting things you could with that that I wish I could experience it for myself!)

And yeah, I kind of like multi-playthrough games myself. The first one I played was Chop Suey for my now-ancient Macintosh computer back in 1995. That game introduced me to the concept of looping narratives. I believe it may have been the first video game to employ that approach, actually. That I've always thought was one of the most wrongly overlooked gems of all time. WAY ahead of its time. Lots of modern indie games use that kind of story structure too, as it helps pack in more content in a way that avoids pricier alternatives like building larger worlds and adding more play modes that can't necessarily be afforded or narratively justified while also adding more weight to your in-game choices. It often works really well! Undertale and Oxenfree are a couple of particularly solid examples from the last couple of years. Of course, NieR: Automata's version of multi-playthrough is more continuous than looping, but it not only makes for interesting storytelling, but also helps keep the scale of the semi-open world navigable (which is a big plus for me because I HATE detective vision :P ).

If it's successful enough we might see a western release of Blue Reflection eventually. We normally get a Gust release every year or two, and if not there's always the chance of a fan translation. Only a few more decades and i'll be able to read Chaos;Child!

When they're well presented they can definitely be interesting. It's a type of story telling fairly unique to gaming too, which makes it especially nice. The medium really needs to take better advantage of the benefits it presents to narrative presentation. Even basic stuff like "you're able to have the player literally experience events through the protagonist's eyes" goes remarkably unused.

Anyway, thanks again for the Nier info. I'll probably start playing it tomorrow afternoone ^^



Zekkyou said:

If it's successful enough we might see a western release of Blue Reflection eventually. We normally get a Gust release every year or two, and if not there's always the chance of a fan translation. Only a few more decades and i'll be able to read Chaos;Child!

When they're well presented they can definitely be interesting. It's a type of story telling fairly unique to gaming too, which makes it especially nice. The medium really needs to take better advantage of the benefits it presents to narrative presentation. Even basic stuff like "you're able to have the player literally experience events through the protagonist's eyes" goes remarkably unused.

Anyway, thanks again for the Nier info. I'll probably start playing it tomorrow afternoone ^^

Good points all! (And the Chaos;Child remark was funny. :P ) And you're welcome!

Well...I think I'm now officially out of things to add to this convo. :P