Would piracy for the Switch...

Kill it's potential 59 28.92%
 
Help with sales 113 55.39%
 
Other 32 15.69%
 
Total:204

 

 



Around the Network
NATO said:

Over the past couple of days, console hackers known for their work on the Vita and other consoles have started work on the Switch console, already dumping the systems NAND flash and finding some reference for AndroidN7 (Android Nougat 7.0) due to it's use of libstagefright  but because of that discovering that the NAND flash itself is at least partially unencrpyted, over on a channel (that I won't mention since it goes against VGC rules) hackers have been systematically peeling back the security of both the system and it's interaction with game cartidges.

Contrary to previous guesses, the hackers claim that the base system does not run on a modified FreeBSD kernel, but instead a kernel based on the same codebase as the Nintendo 3DS, with so many eyes and hands already tinkering with the inner workings of the Switch, it's only a matter of time before news that Nintendo would no doubt dread, may hit the front page of gaming sites.

So question is, do you think piracy happening so early in the consoles life would be a death toll for the console, or an unexpected boost to sales?

Sources:
https://twitter.com/qlutoo
https://twitter.com/maximus64_

I really don't think it matters all that much one way or the other.



"The OS will be Nintendo developed and totally not be based on Android" ~Anonymous Nintendo fanboy

edit: overread the 3DS Kernel. Still waiting for more info.



If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

 

 



vivster said:
"The OS will be Nintendo developed and totally not be based on Android" ~Anonymous Nintendo fanboy

Well it seems the fanboy is not entirely incorrect since the kernel is based on 3ds but yeah...obviously it needed to have some code from android.

As far as the impact...if it is an easy solution similar to psp then it would definitely boost hardware sales and absolutely kill software. Which would be disastrous to Nintendo.



Around the Network

Console makers need to find a way to make it impossible to access anything via a computer. If thats possible who knows lol



think-man said:
Console makers need to find a way to make it impossible to access anything via a computer. If thats possible who knows lol

Maybe they should stop making computers and calling it a console then.



If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Of course, every new console must at some point be hacked to run linux :)



Homebrew is more likely to help a console's sales than to hurt it. Software sales are another matter, though.That said, if this is anything like the 3ds, Nintendo's rapid fire firmware updates will mitigate some of the"damage."

Come to think of it, I might want to buy a switch early just in case it is cracked.



Safiir said:
vivster said:
"The OS will be Nintendo developed and totally not be based on Android" ~Anonymous Nintendo fanboy

Well it seems the fanboy is not entirely incorrect since the kernel is based on 3ds but yeah...obviously it needed to have some code from android.

As far as the impact...if it is an easy solution similar to psp then it would definitely boost hardware sales and absolutely kill software. Which would be disastrous to Nintendo.

Wasn't the psv hacked? At least that's what I heard. Sales remained unaffected. Nds was also hacked yet softaware sales were great (same with wii). So who know how it would affect it?