Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Should Nintendo give Wii U owners a free Zelda: BotW NX copy when they upgrade?

Should they offer Zelda: BotW NX for free?

Yes 17 12.98%
 
Yes if they buy the Wii U version 44 33.59%
 
No, people will buy it anyway 22 16.79%
 
No, offer something else 2 1.53%
 
No, Nintendo does not need to offer anything 36 27.48%
 
see results 10 7.63%
 
Total:131

Simple question. In order to build an early momentum for the first year sales of the NX, should Nintendo award their fans who bought the Wii U with a free copy of Zelda: BotW for NX? Or would that be leaving money on the table since many consumer upgrading to the NX will buy the game anyway? The reason why they would might want to offer this incentive is because the Wii U's lackluster sales and software in its last two years and the fear that the NX has to compete with the Neo and Scorpio along with their former PS4 and Xbox One S sku. 

What do you guys think? Smart move to offer this incentive or is it leaving too much money on the table? Or should Nintendo offer another incentive for Wii U owners to continue buying Nintendo home console? 



Around the Network
t3mporary_126 said:

Simple question. In order to build an early momentum for the first year sales of the NX, should Nintendo award their fans who bought the Wii U with a free copy of Zelda: BotW for NX? Or would that be leaving money on the table since many consumer upgrading to the NX will buy the game anyway? The reason why they would might want to offer this incentive is because the Wii U's lackluster sales and software in its last two years and the fear that the NX has to compete with the Neo and Scorpio along with their former PS4 and Xbox One S sku. 

What do you guys think? Smart move to offer this incentive or is it leaving too much money on the table? Or should Nintendo offer another incentive for Wii U owners to continue buying Nintendo home console? 

I don't think they have a convenient way of doing this without some people trying to abuse the system. They are better off offering a zelda bundle later on



That might be a good way to motivate owners to buy the NX after (if) they felt shafted with the Wii U's early years. I'd definitely consider it. Maybe award it to people who buy a Wii U + BotW (Wii u version). I think that is a fair compromise.



sc94597 said:
That might be a good way to motivate owners to buy the NX after (if) they felt shafted with the Wii U's early years. I'd definitely consider it. Maybe award it to people who buy a Wii U + BotW (Wii u version). I think that is a fair compromise.

Yeah, I think this is the easiest way to offer something free for their consumer as well.



Wii U owners are more likely to get the NX regardless of anything. Will they be salty? Maybe. Will they buy Zelda? Of course. So no. We shouldnt get a free copy.

We could get some weird deal with MyNintendo tho. I could see that happening.



Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988

Around the Network
Slarvax said:
Wii U owners are more likely to get the NX regardless of anything. Will they be salty? Maybe. Will they buy Zelda? Of course. So no. We shouldnt get a free copy.

We could get some weird deal with MyNintendo tho. I could see that happening.

I agree, they don't have to give anything free. The question is if should they give it for free to build early momentum for NX sales. 



I don't think so. I believe that the game will be bundled with the NX, but I don't think Nintendo will just give away the superior version of game to those with the Wii U version. It's exactly like GTA V on PS3 and PS4. Even if I can transfer online progress from PS3 to PS4, I still had to pay for it again. I guess people will have to double dip.



No point. It will only be a short term gain. Look at what they did with MK8 for an example.



jason1637 said:
No point. It will only be a short term gain. Look at what they did with MK8 for an example.

I think first-impressions are quite important for any platform to gain momentum. It is easier to gain momentum if you have a good start (albeit that doesn't guarantee success: see Wii U.) 



No. Unless Sony gives PS4 owners a free PS3 copy of The Last Guardian.



If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.