Quantcast
The audacity! Obama changes the name of Mt. Mckinley to Mt. Denali! Past is the past people!

Forums - Politics Discussion - The audacity! Obama changes the name of Mt. Mckinley to Mt. Denali! Past is the past people!

Soundwave said:
Robert_Downey_Jr. said:

might is right.  I mean honestly people need to stop being such sore losers.  All is fair in love and war


You mean kinda like those ISIS fighters that feel they have the right to blow up temples and shrines and architecture that's existed for thousands of years before them in a region they farted their way into? 

eh that's different.  They're A-holes.  What we did was perfectly acceptable at the time.  It was the age of imperialism.  ISIS is a bunch of religious fanatics.  They should have done that back around the Crusades not nowadays where it is unacceptable.



I am Iron Man

Around the Network

Sounds like Alaskans prefer it to be Denali

So, good for Obama to change it



thismeintiel said:
Machiavellian said:
thismeintiel said:
What a slippery slope.

Seriously, though, this is just ridiculous. It's been called Mount McKinley for over 115 years by those outside of Alaska. And those who knew it as Denali, still called it that, so the change is just to pander to a minority of a minority who just wanted it known as Denali to the rest of the US. Basically, it's just to prove he can unilaterally do something.

I think it would funny as hell if the next president just changes it back. That would definitely piss Obama off.

It’s interesting how people feel when it’s not their culture.  It’s pandering, insignificant or just useless to you but if it was the same for the people of Alaska why would they make it an issue to change the name.  It's not my heritage but who knows how the actual people who lived there for hundreds of years feel about something you consider as pandering.  Anyway it’s pretty standard for the minority to have their ideals, culture and heritage dismissed like this by the majority who cannot understand or in some ways care.  Such small things seem very insignificant to you but for the native Indians in Alaska this might feel like change.  It might feel like a little more respect.

 

Actually if he next president changed it back, it would not piss Obama off but I am sure there are a hell of a lot of native Alaskan Indians who sure would feel very disrespected.  Then again, I am sure the majority would not care.

I bet the majority of native Alaskans don't give a shit if it is or isn't called Mount McKinley by the rest of the US.  Know why?  Cause they still call it Denali themselves.  Just like the majority of Native Americans don't give a shit about the name Redskins, but the left just has something in there heads that makes them need to have the name changed.  This pandering, PC BS has got to stop.  The majority of the US is now being beholden to less than 1% of the population.

And I'm sure it would piss Obama off.  He's extremely thin-skinned.  He always gets annoyed/pissed when he is actually challenged on something. I also think it's quite funny that if a Rep president did come around and change the name back, the same people in here who are saying "who cares, it's a mountain" would change their tune real quick. 


Actually it seems Alaskans prefer the name to be Denali

Sounds like the person pissed off is you (and Ohio politicians)

sucks to be you I guess



WolfpackN64 said:
KLAMarine said:
WolfpackN64 said:
KLAMarine said:
WolfpackN64 said:

Now they just need to get rid of Mt. Rushmore.

Why?

It was built on Lakota ground without their permission.

Are you suggesting we destroy the sculpture?

I suggest the grounds be given back to the Lakota, if they want to keep it, there's no problem.

yeah except it's ours now so sucks to be them.  You don't see us asking Cuba back or the British asking for their colonies back.  Winners decide what things are called.



I am Iron Man

axt113 said:
thismeintiel said:
Machiavellian said:
thismeintiel said:
What a slippery slope.

Seriously, though, this is just ridiculous. It's been called Mount McKinley for over 115 years by those outside of Alaska. And those who knew it as Denali, still called it that, so the change is just to pander to a minority of a minority who just wanted it known as Denali to the rest of the US. Basically, it's just to prove he can unilaterally do something.

I think it would funny as hell if the next president just changes it back. That would definitely piss Obama off.

It’s interesting how people feel when it’s not their culture.  It’s pandering, insignificant or just useless to you but if it was the same for the people of Alaska why would they make it an issue to change the name.  It's not my heritage but who knows how the actual people who lived there for hundreds of years feel about something you consider as pandering.  Anyway it’s pretty standard for the minority to have their ideals, culture and heritage dismissed like this by the majority who cannot understand or in some ways care.  Such small things seem very insignificant to you but for the native Indians in Alaska this might feel like change.  It might feel like a little more respect.

 

Actually if he next president changed it back, it would not piss Obama off but I am sure there are a hell of a lot of native Alaskan Indians who sure would feel very disrespected.  Then again, I am sure the majority would not care.

I bet the majority of native Alaskans don't give a shit if it is or isn't called Mount McKinley by the rest of the US.  Know why?  Cause they still call it Denali themselves.  Just like the majority of Native Americans don't give a shit about the name Redskins, but the left just has something in there heads that makes them need to have the name changed.  This pandering, PC BS has got to stop.  The majority of the US is now being beholden to less than 1% of the population.

And I'm sure it would piss Obama off.  He's extremely thin-skinned.  He always gets annoyed/pissed when he is actually challenged on something. I also think it's quite funny that if a Rep president did come around and change the name back, the same people in here who are saying "who cares, it's a mountain" would change their tune real quick. 


Actually it seems Alaskans prefer the name to be Denali

Sounds like the person pissed off is you (and Ohio politicians)

sucks to be you I guess

I love the bold bit. It's especially ironic because the 1% everyone is beholden to is definitely not the people who have been angling for a change in the name of this mountain. It's more like the actual 1% who run things are happy for the rest of us to piss and moan about these matters and to think that we've got a "win" with this sort of thing to keep us distracted from the actual important problems in the world.

Edit: what happened to the auto-cropping of quote trees?



“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

 

Around the Network
Robert_Downey_Jr. said:

yeah except it's ours now so sucks to be them.  You don't see us asking Cuba back or the British asking for their colonies back.  Winners decide what things are called.


...and now the winner of two consecutive elections is deciding what it's called so I guess it sucks to be you :P



bouzane said:
Robert_Downey_Jr. said:

yeah except it's ours now so sucks to be them.  You don't see us asking Cuba back or the British asking for their colonies back.  Winners decide what things are called.


...and now the winner of two consecutive elections is deciding what it's called so I guess it sucks to be you :P

yeah cause that's totally the same lol.  winning an election is not the same as winning a territory.  The great thing about political victories is that they're always temporary.  Besides Alaska had already changed it back so he really had little to do with this.  I think he's mainly just trying to pull attention to this rather than the people in the streets saying "pigs in a blanket fry em like bacon" since he played a big part in creating that terrible mentality.



I am Iron Man

Normchacho said:
Lawlight said:
He should also rename The United States of America.


Not sure if you're being sarcastic to make fun of how silly this is...but god I hope so.


Stop trolling. Give the USA the name that was most used by native Americans. No different principle from the mountain.



Don't worry Ryan.. When Trump gets elected you'll live in the united states of Trump, with King Trump The first.. Vote Trump!



 

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

NiKKoM said:
Don't worry Ryan.. When Trump gets elected you'll live in the united states of Trump, with King Trump The first.. Vote Trump!


pff! he will build a new, its gonna be HUUUGE, and the natives will have to pay for it.