Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Halo: MCC is “a Black Eye for Us” "Halo 5 Made By Completely Different Team", Says Frank O'Connor

Halo Franchise Development Director Frank O'Connor believes that Halo: The Master Chief Collection’sdisastrous launch and long-running online problems are “definitely a black eye for us”.

Speaking to XBA a few weeks back at the at the EGL’s “Battle For Europe” event in the Halo Championship Series, O'Connor discussed the mistakes that were made with the remastered compilation, while reassuring players that the same problems won’t occur with Halo 5: Guardians.

“Halo: The Master Chief Collection is definitely a black eye for us,” said O’Connor. “We’re not going to rest on our laurels or hide from the mistakes we made. However, I will say that the nature of The Master Chief Collection - you’ve got five different game engines, you’ve got five different studios working on it, you’ve got 343 working on putting it all together - the footprint and complexity was outrageous.

“To be perfectly honest, there were a lot of things that happened when we got it into a retail environment that we simply didn’t see in a test environment, so that’s what really caught us by surprise. We’ve been sort of scrambling to get it first in a playable stage and now we’re going to get it in a polished stage, so that people are getting what they deserved in the first place. We’re never going to back away from that or shy away from that.

“However, Halo 5 is being made by a completely different team. It’s a singular product. It was built from the ground up for this new technology, rather than being sort of dragged kicking and screaming from 2001 and forced and shoehorned into a 2014 console. So the problem spaces are still very challenging but they’re radically different. I think the beta is already a decent first step, in a retail environment, showing that we don’t have the same problems.”

The quote comes from a larger interview discussing Halo 5’s eSports aspirations, as well as how 343 Industries is attempting to juggle the needs of eSports players and your average scrub. It’s interest stuff. Give it a watch below. Halo 5: Guardians is out on Xbox One this October 27th.


View on YouTube

http://www.xboxachievements.com/news/news-21047-Halo--The-Master-Chief-Collection-is---%EF%BF%BDa-Black-Eye-for-Us--%EF%BF%BD--Says-Frank-O-Connor-.html



Around the Network

This article could have come with a survey regarding whether Halo 5 will suffer from online connectivity issues or not.



The_BlackHeart__ said:
This article could have come with a survey regarding whether Halo 5 will suffer from online connectivity issues or not.


That isnt necessary.  Polls arent exactly accurate and display a large amount of bias a lot of the time

Anyways, its a different team working on Halo 5 plus the beta im sure helped.  I doubt it will have similar problems



Considering the massive train wreck that was MCC's online multiplayer, this is great to hear, and I'm hoping Halo 5 ends up being a perfectly solid game on day 1.



Halo 5 seems to be well infront when it comes to development. It will be well tested and should be pretty damn good at launch.



Around the Network

I personally don't think Halo5 will be 100% ready by launch. I feel Microsoft will rush it out to take advantage of the holiday season. I hope I am wrong but the development cycle just seems too short for a mainline next-gen Halo game considering Halo 4 only came out in 2012... 3 year cycle.... This isn't like Halo 1 and2 where it was on the same console or Halo 3 and ODST...



Guitarguy said:

I personally don't think Halo5 will be 100% ready by launch. I feel Microsoft will rush it out to take advantage of the holiday season. I hope I am wrong but the development cycle just seems too short for a mainline next-gen Halo game considering Halo 4 only came out in 2012... 3 year cycle.... This isn't like Halo 1 and2 where it was on the same console or Halo 3 and ODST...


Not sure what you're getting at. Its the same situation as Halo 2 to Halo 3. 3 years and a new console.



Good hopefully will Halo 5 will be a masterpiece and not a mastermess.



jlmurph2 said:
Guitarguy said:

I personally don't think Halo5 will be 100% ready by launch. I feel Microsoft will rush it out to take advantage of the holiday season. I hope I am wrong but the development cycle just seems too short for a mainline next-gen Halo game considering Halo 4 only came out in 2012... 3 year cycle.... This isn't like Halo 1 and2 where it was on the same console or Halo 3 and ODST...


Not sure what you're getting at. Its the same situation as Halo 2 to Halo 3. 3 years and a new console.


Valid point, I do think games ten years ago were a bit simpler and didn't take quite as long as nowadays though. What do you think?



Guitarguy said:

I personally don't think Halo5 will be 100% ready by launch. I feel Microsoft will rush it out to take advantage of the holiday season. I hope I am wrong but the development cycle just seems too short for a mainline next-gen Halo game considering Halo 4 only came out in 2012... 3 year cycle.... This isn't like Halo 1 and2 where it was on the same console or Halo 3 and ODST...

You're talking about a 300 dev strong team that have engineers that have worked on the console, devs (especially bosses) that have been working on Halo since CE, they released a Beta a year out running butter "smoov". Snags always happen but I beliebe 343i is the best suited dev team to work on X1.