Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why I don't care about Evolve

Blek, Jim Sterling. I'll need to see information from someone I can trust, first.



Around the Network

The game has more to be worried about than its DLC...like how boring it is..



I was actually thinking about getting this game. I didn't know about all thqt dlc stuff thought

I guess I might not be getting this after all..



pokoko said:
Blek, Jim Sterling. I'll need to see information from someone I can trust, first.

Why do you think you can't trust him? Just curious.



Fei-Hung said:
Twitter adds:

2K games: @2K
Turtle Rock: @TurtleRock
Phil Spencer: @XboxP3
Yoshida: @yosp

For those who want to be proactive.

why yosp? This isn't tied to playstation



Around the Network

Wow, I honestly thought that the game had potential but this?

I'm not going to support a company or their game if all it will try to do is shove more DLC in my face. I don't want other companies seeing this until it become seven more normal with Triple A releases than it already is.



S.T.A.G.E. said:
Twilord said:

I like the concept, but at the same time conceptually it makes more sense of the Wii-U's eShop than for PS4/Xbone retail release. Imagine it being played in local multiplayer with one player on the gamepad and the others on pro-controllers but also having free online that worked day one.

 

Also apparently it sounds like it should be freemium.


It probably should be free to play. Problem For Nintendo is that no one is going to dumb down the quality of their games for them.

That is the thing though, other than being a shooter (easiest 3D genre to make by miles) its major idea is pretty much the expansion of a couple of the ideas from Nintendoland. If its done as local-play, that sounds like fun - if its done online then even with voice chat I don't see it standing out that well. Just feels like an eShop title from what I know of it...

 

Maybe if the game is executed well I should look into making an 'indie' game inspired by it, I have most of the relevant skills and I'm already working on getting the ones I don't yet, and I'm already working on building a network of people I can hire so it should take a year or two instead of a single-handed century.

 

I mean if three highly skilled people can make Ironfall surely fifteen half-skilled people can make a game that merges ideas from Evolve with perhaps some Deus Ex: Human Revolution and Mario Chase/Luigi's Ghost Mansion to outweigh the (likely to be cut for indie reasons) RPG elements with simpler fun ideas.



TRAVIS!!! said:
pokoko said:
Blek, Jim Sterling. I'll need to see information from someone I can trust, first.

Why do you think you can't trust him? Just curious.

Destructoid used to be my gaming home a few years ago.  After awhile, it became obvious to me that that Sterling was just a tabloid writer who depended on sensationalism for his "internet fame".  Everything was a rant, often with little regard for facts, often with little or poor sourcing.  When people would point out his mistakes, he'd then rant about gamers, along with the excuse that he was just a blogger so he didn't have to worry that much about accuracy.  While I do agree that we shouldn't be calling anyone in the gaming media a "journalist" without anything to back that up, I completely disagree with the idea that a writer on a major website has no responsiblity to their readers to be as factually correct as possible.

I remember when he wrote a rant about the Vita (I think it was called the NGP then) being a ripoff of the Nintendo DS because it was going to have "two touchscreens".  His source was some obscure blog, but if you went to the real source linked from that, which had the patent information for the console, it was perfectly clear that it did NOT have two touchscreens.  Seriously, how can you not check your information better than that?  I don't think he ever fixed the article.

Stuff like that is why I have zero faith in anything he says unless it's confirmed elsewhere.

Besides that, his reviews would almost always mention cum and piss.  Why?  I can think of no other reason than to be controversial.  That's tabloid writing.



LudicrousSpeed said:
They made a huge mistake with the PR they released that announced all this stuff a few days ago. It was worded terribly, poorly written, and was just confusing.

But when you get down to the bottom line, there's no big deal here. They don't have day one DLC outside of some worthless skins. The DLC was NOT promoted before the game was revealed or a screen shot was shown as Jim is trying to claim. The game was revealed in an issue of Game Informer, and the website had loads if pics and videos and even developer interviews up for days before they announced the pre-order bonus.

The quote about Evolve being more ready for DLC than any game was taken out of context and was a response to a direct question about DLC asked in another magazine interview. What they meant by that is that compared to L4D, Evolve is much more open to DLC. And it is. You can have new maps, new modes, new weapons, new hunters, and new monsters, all interchangeable with one all independent.

At the end of the day they announced some preorder and DLC stuff before the game was released, and their pricing for the DLC is so laughably bad, I have to believe it's not real. In other words, all things that are pretty much industry standard now. GAF is in a tizzy over this and I think it's just awesome to read.

Idk where people are getting the idea that it's not a complete game either. You can play solo or online. There is a twist on a campaign mode with Evacuation. The grinding required to level up the characters is real. It's just as complete as any other game.

based on what they've announced so far there is less game on the disc than just the multiplayer portion of destiny...



pokoko said:
TRAVIS!!! said:

Why do you think you can't trust him? Just curious.

Destructoid used to be my gaming home a few years ago.  After awhile, it became obvious to me that that Sterling was just a tabloid writer who depended on sensationalism for his "internet fame".  Everything was a rant, often with little regard for facts, often with little or poor sourcing.  When people would point out his mistakes, he'd then rant about gamers, along with the excuse that he was just a blogger so he didn't have to worry that much about accuracy.  While I do agree that we shouldn't be calling anyone in the gaming media a "journalist" without anything to back that up, I completely disagree with the idea that a writer on a major website has no responsiblity to their readers to be as factually correct as possible.

I remember when he wrote a rant about the Vita (I think it was called the NGP then) being a ripoff of the Nintendo DS because it was going to have "two touchscreens".  His source was some obscure blog, but if you went to the real source linked from that, which had the patent information for the console, it was perfectly clear that it did NOT have two touchscreens.  Seriously, how can you not check your information better than that?  I don't think he ever fixed the article.

Stuff like that is why I have zero faith in anything he says unless it's confirmed elsewhere.

Besides that, his reviews would almost always mention cum and piss.  Why?  I can think of no other reason than to be controversial.  That's tabloid writing.

Don't remember that NGP post, so I can't comment on that. All I can say is that there definitely have been a few instances where Jim accepted that he was wrong about stuff, (like when he changed his mind about the whole Mass Effect 3 ending debate, or that time he apologized for potentially misunderstaning something about Tomodachi Life) and I also think he has changed as a person. Jim himself has said that he was sometimes kind of a not-so-nice person a few years ago.

Personally, I've come to the opinion that he's a very trustworthy guy, especially when it comes to reviewing games. He can have very strong opinions on things, but is also able to explain why he likes or dislikes something in great detail, which is a sign of a good reviewer, I think.

Now to the point of him being controversial: I remember an episode of podtoid where Jim said that his "controversial" reviews (FF XIII, or Vanquish, come to mind) didn't even get any more views/clicks than his uncontroversial ones, so it was never his intention to actually be controversial. Especially now that he's independent, page-views are something he really doesn't have to care for anymore. Oh, and the language he uses is simply his sense of humor, nothing else.

Just my two cents :)