Forums - PC Discussion - Is it worth going for a Radeon 7790 at this point (for 85)?

allblue said:
Kantor said:
Since literally everyone is saying "no 7790" I won't get one. I'm glad I asked first

Can someone explain what this Never Settle Forever AMD thing is? It claims to give me two free games, and I can't find any list of the games anywhere. http://www.aria.co.uk/amd/never-settle-forever


http://sites.amd.com/us/promo/never-settle/Pages/nsreloadedforever.aspx

7950 7970 give you a gold tier reward for a choice of 3 games.

7800 series give you a silver tier reward for a choice of 2.

7790 7770 give you 1 choice in bronze tier.

 

You have to purchase from selected retailers, the retailer will give you the reward code :) Participating retailers are listed if you scroll down. It's the same for US/UK.

They are still adding games, they've hinted battlefield 4 upcoming later possibly in December.

So I'm looking at silver tier and I am underwhelmed.

There are two 2013 titles on there and one is DLC (Blood Dragon). The others are 2012 or older (and I own all of the good ones from there), and two of them are Dirt games. The only one from that list I would want is DMC, and even then I don't have any great desire to play it.

I remember when trasharmdsister bought his new card, they gave him BioShock Infinite (at launch). Does Nvidia have better deals on these or something?



(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

gamrReview - Arthur Kabrick | My All-Time Top 50 | 2013 Metascores

                                        

Around the Network
Kantor said:
So I'm looking at silver tier and I am underwhelmed.

There are two 2013 titles on there and one is DLC (Blood Dragon). The others are 2012 or older (and I own all of the good ones from there), and two of them are Dirt games. The only one from that list I would want is DMC, and even then I don't have any great desire to play it.

I remember when trasharmdsister bought his new card, they gave him BioShock Infinite (at launch). Does Nvidia have better deals on these or something?

Batman Arkham Origins seems to be the only thing offered with Nvidia designed GPUs right now.  With a few exceptions.   So Bioshock was probably the only thing offered, whether you consider that better though is up to opinion.  



Kantor said:
allblue said:
Kantor said:
Since literally everyone is saying "no 7790" I won't get one. I'm glad I asked first

Can someone explain what this Never Settle Forever AMD thing is? It claims to give me two free games, and I can't find any list of the games anywhere. http://www.aria.co.uk/amd/never-settle-forever


http://sites.amd.com/us/promo/never-settle/Pages/nsreloadedforever.aspx

7950 7970 give you a gold tier reward for a choice of 3 games.

7800 series give you a silver tier reward for a choice of 2.

7790 7770 give you 1 choice in bronze tier.

 

You have to purchase from selected retailers, the retailer will give you the reward code :) Participating retailers are listed if you scroll down. It's the same for US/UK.

They are still adding games, they've hinted battlefield 4 upcoming later possibly in December.

So I'm looking at silver tier and I am underwhelmed.

There are two 2013 titles on there and one is DLC (Blood Dragon). The others are 2012 or older (and I own all of the good ones from there), and two of them are Dirt games. The only one from that list I would want is DMC, and even then I don't have any great desire to play it.

I remember when trasharmdsister bought his new card, they gave him BioShock Infinite (at launch). Does Nvidia have better deals on these or something?

Bioshock infinite and crysis 3 were being given away about 3 months ago before they changed it to this bundle. From what I've gathered the roster is constantly changing and expanding. Saints row 4 was just added this month.

Nvidia is currently offering Arkham origins for their 660/670/680 760/770/780 GT series card.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7253/nvidia-announces-fall-gpu-bundle-batman-arkham-origins scroll down for the table.

AMD is known for their game bundles. They are official battlefield 4 partners and hinted it upcoming addition to the roster.



Intel core i7 930 OC @ 4.0 ghz

XFX Double dissipation Radeon HD 7950 356 bit 3gb GDDR5 OC @ 1150 MHz core + 1575 x 4 memory

Triple channel DDR 3 12gb RAM 1600 MHz

Okay, so assuming a 7870 is too much, what do you guys think of this 2GB 7850?

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-191-MS&groupid=701&catid=56&subcat=411



(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

gamrReview - Arthur Kabrick | My All-Time Top 50 | 2013 Metascores

                                        

And if I pick up an AMD GPU now, can I wait to redeem the reward ticket until a new set of games is added?



(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

gamrReview - Arthur Kabrick | My All-Time Top 50 | 2013 Metascores

                                        

Around the Network
Kantor said:
Okay, so assuming a 7870 is too much, what do you guys think of this 2GB 7850?

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-191-MS&groupid=701&catid=56&subcat=411


Yeah that's a great deal, 2gb and slightly tweaked above reference frequency. MSI are pretty reliable and overclockers themselves are great retailers. You can overclcok it further with MSI after burner without voiding warranty.

Make sure you know what the silver rewards offer as I don't think they have bioshock or crysis in the selection anymore.

You can keep your code until the end of 2013, it will expire afterwards :)



Intel core i7 930 OC @ 4.0 ghz

XFX Double dissipation Radeon HD 7950 356 bit 3gb GDDR5 OC @ 1150 MHz core + 1575 x 4 memory

Triple channel DDR 3 12gb RAM 1600 MHz

Kantor said:
Okay, so assuming a 7870 is too much, what do you guys think of this 2GB 7850?

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-191-MS&groupid=701&catid=56&subcat=411


buy the HD 7850, ebay the game codes for around £10-£15, the card should cost you about £100 after that, i did the same thing when i bought my HD 7950.



Wii/Mario Kart Wii Code:2793-0686-5434
Kantor said:
Okay, so assuming a 7870 is too much, what do you guys think of this 2GB 7850?

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-191-MS&groupid=701&catid=56&subcat=411


A 7850 is still a good card. I'm having the 7870 because here where I live its only 10€ more (maybe 7pounds)
for 10€ its a great boost, but for 23pounds hmmm ... if you really are on a tight budget and only can afford the 7850 go for it.

otherwise spend the 20pounds more, but price/performance might not sooooo nice.
maybe try to shop around and try to get one for 130 pounds ...



that seems a good deal, me personally il be getting a hd 7750 after xmas, im suprised how well my 5670 works if the 7750 is any better thats a bonus to me



...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

I think it is.

Except the R9 290... all the news cards from AMD are only brandered names... so your HD 7790 is the R7 260.