Forums - Gaming Discussion - About those Ligthning Returns ads...

Tagged games:

Will you buy Lightning Returns?

My money is ready! 28 53.85%
 
Maybe later... 8 15.38%
 
No, I want Sleeping Cats 16 30.77%
 
Total:52

I'm shocked that people still don't understand why its being made. They spent so long on XIII, they were forced to re-use a lot of the assets and the work put into the world with the sequels. This has resulted in much lower costs and much quicker dev times. A perfect storm for them and Lightning Returns will sell a nice 2 million+ lifetime and they'll be happy at home.



Around the Network

Im beyond excited for the game

And the ads are beautiful. Im sure SE are going to promote it quite a bit as they should.



VGKing said:
pokoko said:
It's going to sell around 2M copies, probably, while not being all that expensive to make, relatively speaking. I see no problems. A lot of games would love to sell at that level. It's not going to sell like the main entries, of course, but no spin-off ever will. I guess they could fire a lot of their staff and just churn out main series releases, though I'd prefer to have them years apart.

As far as the ads, I don't really know. It's probably more of a small preliminary campaign to generate buzz and get people aware. They'll start up again closer to release.

2 Million would be a complete flop for a Final Fantasy game.

XIII-2 has trouble reachign 3 million on PS360, and THAT is a flop. Why is Square Enix making another one? WTF?

Well, yeah, I guess if forum opinion were currency.  Fortunately it's not, which means that publishers care about profit more than dozens of people yelling that everything is a "flop".



outlawauron said:
I'm shocked that people still don't understand why its being made. They spent so long on XIII, they were forced to re-use a lot of the assets and the work put into the world with the sequels. This has resulted in much lower costs and much quicker dev times. A perfect storm for them and Lightning Returns will sell a nice 2 million+ lifetime and they'll be happy at home.

What about protecting their IP? Putting out a game when you KNOW it won't sell well and when it will get bashed by reviewers. They are damaging the Final Fantasy brand...is that worth a few extra profits?



VGKing said:
outlawauron said:
I'm shocked that people still don't understand why its being made. They spent so long on XIII, they were forced to re-use a lot of the assets and the work put into the world with the sequels. This has resulted in much lower costs and much quicker dev times. A perfect storm for them and Lightning Returns will sell a nice 2 million+ lifetime and they'll be happy at home.

What about protecting their IP? Putting out a game when you KNOW it won't sell well and when it will get bashed by reviewers. They are damaging the Final Fantasy brand...is that worth a few extra profits?

Everyone is worth it for more cash.

In their view, they'll make the best game possible with what they have. They feel by listening to feedback and trying to appeal to the ridiculous demands of the West will bring sales and good reviews. Realistically, it still sell well and will get bashed for being a JRPG and have points deducted for things that have nothing to do with the game itself.

Most people argue the FF brand is dead, etc. Why would you bring up that as a counter-point if it's dead? And wouldn't a good game help that brand?



Around the Network
pokoko said:
VGKing said:
pokoko said:
It's going to sell around 2M copies, probably, while not being all that expensive to make, relatively speaking. I see no problems. A lot of games would love to sell at that level. It's not going to sell like the main entries, of course, but no spin-off ever will. I guess they could fire a lot of their staff and just churn out main series releases, though I'd prefer to have them years apart.

As far as the ads, I don't really know. It's probably more of a small preliminary campaign to generate buzz and get people aware. They'll start up again closer to release.

2 Million would be a complete flop for a Final Fantasy game.

XIII-2 has trouble reachign 3 million on PS360, and THAT is a flop. Why is Square Enix making another one? WTF?

Well, yeah, I guess if forum opinion were currency.  Fortunately it's not, which means that publishers care about profit more than dozens of people yelling that everything is a "flop".

What profit?
Shift focus finally on Versus13,bring it as a PS3 Exclusive and advertise it > 8-10  Million sold units especially after all the other FF Games in this Gen were complete garbage.
2 Million Units are a complete waste of time for such a big franchise...This is Final Fantasy.The former king of J-RPGs.
It will just only interesting to see how those 2 Million will split up and how much fans they lost in Japan again.
Cause we remember that Tales of Xillia destroyed FF13-2 in Japan if we compare the numbers of the 1st few weaks.
It will be interesting to see how much Lightning and the PS3 can carry the whole mess SquareEnix is creating here...1,8 Million PS3 and 200k 360 i would say at most.
Hopefully this is all that brand name destruction worth.Former known for top notch quality and now...well...not so much quality.



VGKing said:
d21lewis said:
I don't think I finished 20% of FF XIII-2. After a few months passed, I started the whole game over and still couldn't get into it. Then, I bought all of the DLC and I haven't played it. You just can't polish a turd. With that said, I'll be powerless and still end up buying Lightning Returns. More than likely, on day one. And, for what it's worth, I NEVER liked Lightning as a character. She sucks. Vanille and Sazh FTW!

WTF? Why?
Don't support Square Enix and their current milky ways. If you buy the game that tells them that you want more of Final Fantasy XIII.

Salmon have to swim upstream.  Roosters have to crow at sunrise.  d21lewis has to buy the big games.  It is nature's way.



Twitter: @d21lewis  --I'll add you if you add me!!

I know for sure it won't be the last game I play since I won't play it



    R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(


outlawauron said:
VGKing said:
outlawauron said:
I'm shocked that people still don't understand why its being made. They spent so long on XIII, they were forced to re-use a lot of the assets and the work put into the world with the sequels. This has resulted in much lower costs and much quicker dev times. A perfect storm for them and Lightning Returns will sell a nice 2 million+ lifetime and they'll be happy at home.

What about protecting their IP? Putting out a game when you KNOW it won't sell well and when it will get bashed by reviewers. They are damaging the Final Fantasy brand...is that worth a few extra profits?

Everyone is worth it for more cash.

In their view, they'll make the best game possible with what they have. They feel by listening to feedback and trying to appeal to the ridiculous demands of the West will bring sales and good reviews. Realistically, it still sell well and will get bashed for being a JRPG and have points deducted for things that have nothing to do with the game itself.

Most people argue the FF brand is dead, etc. Why would you bring up that as a counter-point if it's dead? And wouldn't a good game help that brand?

Why are they trying to appeal to the West with a JRPG? LMFAO!

Many reviewers said XIII-2 was better than the first and fixed many of the problems.....yet they gave it a lower score. That's what I call a damaged brand.
The Final Fantasy XIII brand is damaged, Square Enix need stot milking it with sequels or they'll risk destroying the entire FInal Fantasy brand altogether.



Good OP.