Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Tell 3rd parties what games they SHOULD be making on WII

y oblivion, goldeneye, banjo, warcraft



 "I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Around the Network
Chrizum said:
Mummelmann said:
I don't see Oblivion type games on the Wii, sorry. The massive environments just wouldn't work on the Wii, that's one consequence out of many when you choose to disfavour power. But Resident Evil type games, or Silent Hill would be nice!
And perhaps a more polished Red Steel clone.

Unfortunately, I think that 3rd parties won't make an effort with their titles, since it pretty much sells well just becasue it's on the Wii...

Wait, what? You mean Morrowind didn't happen on Xbox? Twilight Princess didn't have a huge overworld? Might and Magic IX and Gothic 2 weren't possible on inferior hardware?

Needless to say, Oblivion type games were possible long before the Wii.


 Morrowind on X-Box is something entirely different than Oblivion on Wii. The Wii is a lot weaker hardware wise than the PS3 and the 360, and even those two consoles were hard pressed to make decent framerates and visuals. Last gen, all three machines were roughly equal, that is not the case this time around.

Don't tell me that Oblivion would work on the Wii, that is just not the case.

Needless to say, there were no games like Oblivion (with extreme system req's and a world that huge rendered in such splendor) before Oblivion... My old PC ran Oblivion horridly, despite being a 3 GHz Pentium 4, 1024 MB DDR RAM, and an X800 Pro on a raptor harddisk...



End of 2016 hardware sales:

Wii U: 15 million. PS4: 54 million. One: 30 million. 3DS: 64.8 million. PSVita: 15.2 million.

Mummelmann said:
Chrizum said:
Mummelmann said:
I don't see Oblivion type games on the Wii, sorry. The massive environments just wouldn't work on the Wii, that's one consequence out of many when you choose to disfavour power. But Resident Evil type games, or Silent Hill would be nice!
And perhaps a more polished Red Steel clone.

Unfortunately, I think that 3rd parties won't make an effort with their titles, since it pretty much sells well just becasue it's on the Wii...

Wait, what? You mean Morrowind didn't happen on Xbox? Twilight Princess didn't have a huge overworld? Might and Magic IX and Gothic 2 weren't possible on inferior hardware?

Needless to say, Oblivion type games were possible long before the Wii.


Morrowind on X-Box is something entirely different than Oblivion on Wii. The Wii is a lot weaker hardware wise than the PS3 and the 360, and even those two consoles were hard pressed to make decent framerates and visuals. Last gen, all three machines were roughly equal, that is not the case this time around.

Don't tell me that Oblivion would work on the Wii, that is just not the case.

Needless to say, there were no games like Oblivion (with extreme system req's and a world that huge rendered in such splendor) before Oblivion... My old PC ran Oblivion horridly, despite being a 3 GHz Pentium 4, 1024 MB DDR RAM, and an X800 Pro on a raptor harddisk...


You know as well as I do we were talking about Oblivion TYPE games, as in Massive Offline Role Playing Games. I never said Oblivion was possible on Wii. But Oblivion isn't that much different from Gothic 2 and Morrowind. Oblivion is in fact MUCH smaller than Morrowind, just prettier.



Chrizum said:
Mummelmann said:
Chrizum said:
Mummelmann said:
I don't see Oblivion type games on the Wii, sorry. The massive environments just wouldn't work on the Wii, that's one consequence out of many when you choose to disfavour power. But Resident Evil type games, or Silent Hill would be nice!
And perhaps a more polished Red Steel clone.

Unfortunately, I think that 3rd parties won't make an effort with their titles, since it pretty much sells well just becasue it's on the Wii...

Wait, what? You mean Morrowind didn't happen on Xbox? Twilight Princess didn't have a huge overworld? Might and Magic IX and Gothic 2 weren't possible on inferior hardware?

Needless to say, Oblivion type games were possible long before the Wii.


Morrowind on X-Box is something entirely different than Oblivion on Wii. The Wii is a lot weaker hardware wise than the PS3 and the 360, and even those two consoles were hard pressed to make decent framerates and visuals. Last gen, all three machines were roughly equal, that is not the case this time around.

Don't tell me that Oblivion would work on the Wii, that is just not the case.

Needless to say, there were no games like Oblivion (with extreme system req's and a world that huge rendered in such splendor) before Oblivion... My old PC ran Oblivion horridly, despite being a 3 GHz Pentium 4, 1024 MB DDR RAM, and an X800 Pro on a raptor harddisk...


You know as well as I do we were talking about Oblivion TYPE games, as in Massive Offline Role Playing Games. I never said Oblivion was possible on Wii. But Oblivion isn't that much different from Gothic 2 and Morrowind. Oblivion is in fact MUCH smaller than Morrowind, just prettier.


You directly compared Morrowind (which had smaller system req's for it's time by far) on a previous gen console with Oblivion (or of the same size and intricacy) on a system that is perhaps 30-40 times less powerful than the others in this gen, which was silly.

And btw; Gothic 2 had loading zones, over 50 of them as far as I recall, and Morrowind is infact MUCH smaller than Oblivion... Morrowind has 6 square miles, and Oblivion has 16 square miles of land. Oblivion also sports a whole slew of dynamic effects, from flora and fauna, to weather and time and topography. High dynamic range shadows and true HDR as well as up to 6X AA and trillinear filtering and vert. sync in full.



End of 2016 hardware sales:

Wii U: 15 million. PS4: 54 million. One: 30 million. 3DS: 64.8 million. PSVita: 15.2 million.

Mummelmann said:
Chrizum said:
Mummelmann said:
Chrizum said:
Mummelmann said:
I don't see Oblivion type games on the Wii, sorry. The massive environments just wouldn't work on the Wii, that's one consequence out of many when you choose to disfavour power. But Resident Evil type games, or Silent Hill would be nice!
And perhaps a more polished Red Steel clone.

Unfortunately, I think that 3rd parties won't make an effort with their titles, since it pretty much sells well just becasue it's on the Wii...

Wait, what? You mean Morrowind didn't happen on Xbox? Twilight Princess didn't have a huge overworld? Might and Magic IX and Gothic 2 weren't possible on inferior hardware?

Needless to say, Oblivion type games were possible long before the Wii.


Morrowind on X-Box is something entirely different than Oblivion on Wii. The Wii is a lot weaker hardware wise than the PS3 and the 360, and even those two consoles were hard pressed to make decent framerates and visuals. Last gen, all three machines were roughly equal, that is not the case this time around.

Don't tell me that Oblivion would work on the Wii, that is just not the case.

Needless to say, there were no games like Oblivion (with extreme system req's and a world that huge rendered in such splendor) before Oblivion... My old PC ran Oblivion horridly, despite being a 3 GHz Pentium 4, 1024 MB DDR RAM, and an X800 Pro on a raptor harddisk...


You know as well as I do we were talking about Oblivion TYPE games, as in Massive Offline Role Playing Games. I never said Oblivion was possible on Wii. But Oblivion isn't that much different from Gothic 2 and Morrowind. Oblivion is in fact MUCH smaller than Morrowind, just prettier.


You directly compared Morrowind (which had smaller system req's for it's time by far) on a previous gen console with Oblivion (or of the same size and intricacy) on a system that is perhaps 30-40 times less powerful than the others in this gen, which was silly.

And btw; Gothic 2 had loading zones, over 50 of them as far as I recall, and Morrowind is infact MUCH smaller than Oblivion... Morrowind has 6 square miles, and Oblivion has 16 square miles of land. Oblivion also sports a whole slew of dynamic effects, from flora and fauna, to weather and time and topography. High dynamic range shadows and true HDR as well as up to 6X AA and trillinear filtering and vert. sync in full.



You keep missing the point. Do you read my posts at all? I DO NOT SAY Oblivion will work on Wii. We were talking about Oblivion TYPE games. Oblivion wasn't the first game in its genre. You keep talking about technical nonsense, which hasn't a THING to do with what type of game it is.

I will say it one more time, so listen good: Oblivion TYPE games will work on Wii, just as they worked on Xbox, 2002 PCs, and other hardware that is inferior or on par with Wii.



Around the Network

I'd actually like more games designed for the classic controller, preferably 2D. Now we've had Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games a 2-games-on-1-disc new Mario and Sonic 2D platformers isn't outside the realms of possibility. I'd also love to see a new Streets of Rage. But I can't imagine my wants are going to tally very well with everyone else's.



Dare I say it? Menu-based strategy games (similar to RoTK, PTO, etc.). You have a pointer like device, which makes menu-based games far less kludgy than normal for a console. I admit these are not the most popular games ever these days (even on PC) but a handful of well made games would do well on the Wii since there is so little competition in that area. 



an oblivion type wii game would be really awesome to bad they might not make one though



Chrizum said:
Mummelmann said:
Chrizum said:
Mummelmann said:
Chrizum said:
Mummelmann said:
I don't see Oblivion type games on the Wii, sorry. The massive environments just wouldn't work on the Wii, that's one consequence out of many when you choose to disfavour power. But Resident Evil type games, or Silent Hill would be nice!
And perhaps a more polished Red Steel clone.

Unfortunately, I think that 3rd parties won't make an effort with their titles, since it pretty much sells well just becasue it's on the Wii...

Wait, what? You mean Morrowind didn't happen on Xbox? Twilight Princess didn't have a huge overworld? Might and Magic IX and Gothic 2 weren't possible on inferior hardware?

Needless to say, Oblivion type games were possible long before the Wii.


Morrowind on X-Box is something entirely different than Oblivion on Wii. The Wii is a lot weaker hardware wise than the PS3 and the 360, and even those two consoles were hard pressed to make decent framerates and visuals. Last gen, all three machines were roughly equal, that is not the case this time around.

Don't tell me that Oblivion would work on the Wii, that is just not the case.

Needless to say, there were no games like Oblivion (with extreme system req's and a world that huge rendered in such splendor) before Oblivion... My old PC ran Oblivion horridly, despite being a 3 GHz Pentium 4, 1024 MB DDR RAM, and an X800 Pro on a raptor harddisk...


You know as well as I do we were talking about Oblivion TYPE games, as in Massive Offline Role Playing Games. I never said Oblivion was possible on Wii. But Oblivion isn't that much different from Gothic 2 and Morrowind. Oblivion is in fact MUCH smaller than Morrowind, just prettier.


You directly compared Morrowind (which had smaller system req's for it's time by far) on a previous gen console with Oblivion (or of the same size and intricacy) on a system that is perhaps 30-40 times less powerful than the others in this gen, which was silly.

And btw; Gothic 2 had loading zones, over 50 of them as far as I recall, and Morrowind is infact MUCH smaller than Oblivion... Morrowind has 6 square miles, and Oblivion has 16 square miles of land. Oblivion also sports a whole slew of dynamic effects, from flora and fauna, to weather and time and topography. High dynamic range shadows and true HDR as well as up to 6X AA and trillinear filtering and vert. sync in full.



You keep missing the point. Do you read my posts at all? I DO NOT SAY Oblivion will work on Wii. We were talking about Oblivion TYPE games. Oblivion wasn't the first game in its genre. You keep talking about technical nonsense, which hasn't a THING to do with what type of game it is.

I will say it one more time, so listen good: Oblivion TYPE games will work on Wii, just as they worked on Xbox, 2002 PCs, and other hardware that is inferior or on par with Wii.


 What you should say is; Morrowind type games will work on Wii, and yes they will.

Oblivion and Morrowind is more different than most people know. Including you, it seems, calling Oblivion a smaller and prettier and Morrowind is very faulty. I got your point, but your comparisons were irrelevant in any case since this gen is very different from the last. Gothic is also quite different from Morrowind in its own sense, I've played them both to death!

If you were to make a 16 square mile game on the Wii, you'd have to use cel-shading (Windwaker) or some other old fashioned visual instrument to make it work at all, and I just don't see any 3rd party developer bothering to do that. One can't expect huge and processive demanding titles on the Wii, that is a sad fact one has to get used to if you own it. Like I said; 3rd parties will keep on spewing out half-assed and cheap games just to make quick money, rather than concoct immersive, deep visually and audiovisally impressive titles (you could hope for original and sound art direction, however). On a rare occassion, a game that almost meet those criteria will arrive, but they'll be extremely sparse.

What you see is what you get, and that applies to the Wii, the 360 and the PS3 equally. 



End of 2016 hardware sales:

Wii U: 15 million. PS4: 54 million. One: 30 million. 3DS: 64.8 million. PSVita: 15.2 million.

Avinash_Tyagi said:
Create games that are better than Nintendo's

 That's a tall order!



End of 2016 hardware sales:

Wii U: 15 million. PS4: 54 million. One: 30 million. 3DS: 64.8 million. PSVita: 15.2 million.