basic economics?? Things go up in price, ALL products do, thats the way of the world (1). YOu really think that this Wii U would cost the same as the WII did at launch?? That makes no damn sense. THe WIi was just a GC with motion controls attached to it(2), and even the motion tech was kinda cheap, of course it eas inexpensive(3). This thing is supposed to be more powerful than PS3 and has to transfer info to at least two tablets(4). Unless you want Ninty to sell at a loss they cant sell this thing too cheap, and how expensive is too expensive?? Cause 350 for a NEW console is not that bad. PS3 hit the sweet spot around 300(5)
N64 and GC, maybe they didnt do as well because the PS products at the time were just THAT much better(6). and please it wasnt like they were really expensive either. SO i dont know what price has to do with those. (7)
How about some people have no personal or financial stakes in NINTY's affairs(8). Some people need to prioritize their lives, if Ninty shoots themselves in the foot, what difference does it make to you??(9) Dont mean nothing to me, cause they dont put food on my plate(10). Worst case scenerio, they get another ass kicking and they have survived those, so whatever(11). Why are they disrespecting customers, by trying to make a product thats not cheap??(12) WHat kinda logic is that. By that logic Prada, Ferrari any buisness that makes not so cheap products are disrespectful??(13)
1. Tech doesn't necessarily work that way, thanks to things like Moore's Law. Lots of game systems were able to launch in the same $200-$300 range from the early 1980s to now.
2. What? You really think the Wii was just a GC? You mean you think the specs and components were the same? People actually took apart the system at launch and confirmed that the parts are different.
3. I didn't claim the motion tech was expensive. That is why the Plus took a few years for its costs to go down.
4. More powerful than a system launched 5 years ago is not that much. The PS3 itself dropped in price a hell of a lot since launch. As for the streaming, that requires showing the transmitter would be expensive, in which case it would be too much for the mass market at the moment anyway.
5. That's still assuming it even sells that low. But it's still $100 more than the Wii, and that came with a game bundled. In Japan, the Wii launched at the same price as the GC, N64, and SuperFam (not sure about the Famicom though).
6. I hope you mean the games, and not the tech. The former is most certainly why they did better.
7. I didn't claim that low price equals good sales. It needs to be paired with good games. I'm stating that too high a price will hurt good sales, even if the games are good.
8. Why do people need that to care about this? And I don't mean in terms of fanboyishness. You're acting as though Nintendo's finances exist in a vacuum, or is somehow disconnected to their ability to make products.
9. Nintendo makes games we like isn't enough? You think being concerned about them not ruining themselves isn't related to this?
10. NOBODY HERE IS CLAIMING THAT NINTENDO DOES ANYTHING OF THE SORT. Sorry for the allcaps, but that is such a bullshit strawman claim. And it shows you're priorities are skewed, as you are claiming concern should only be given for those who can give you something you personally need. The world doesn't stop existing outside of one's needs.
11. No, the worse case scenario is they don't stop shooting themselves until they go bankrupt. Now it's more likely they will have problems and have to turn around, but we'd like for Nintendo to stop doing that stupid cycle.
12. How is making a flagship product, that costs more money than other iterations of that product, showing respect to customers? It's the content of the product that shows respect, not how flashy and pricey the tech is. And a large touchscreen controller is flashy.
13. If they suddenly jacked up their prices without any actual improvements to the product beyond the norm and inflation, that would be what Nintendo is doing.
And last I checked, Nintendo was NOT in that league. They are Levis and Honda.