Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Prediction: NSMB's successor will launch this year

New Super Mario Bros. is the bestselling Nintendo DS game with more than 25 million copies sold to date. The game was released roughly five years ago, so it's quite surprising that we are still waiting for its sequel. Especially because just about any other company pumps sequels out on a regular basis, either every year or every other year, and that for games that sold 10 % or less of what NSMB did.

Shigeru Miyamoto (if memory serves me right) had gone on record to hint at a 3D and a 2D Mario game being in development for the 3DS, but this year's E3 has passed and we still haven't gotten an official announcement for the latter. Despite this fact, I predict that we will get to play NSMB's successor by the end of this year.

Why?

Because I believe that Miyamoto didn't talk about two separate games, but one and the same: Super Mario 3DS.

The evidence:

  1. Super Mario 3DS features 3D gameplay.
  2. Flagpoles are present at the end of the level instead of stars.
  3. Some of Mario's usual techniques from the 3D games have been removed, like the sidewards somersault.
  4. Mario is capable of doing the moves present in both NSMB games, like wall jumps and stomping.
  5. Power-ups act in the same way as in 2D Mario games, thus removing the typical energy bars of the 3D Mario games.
  6. There's the Tanooki Suit.
  7. The game is still using its working title, suggesting Nintendo is still discussing on how to go about this.
Basically, we are looking at a hybrid between 3D Mario and 2D Mario here. Both series have to make (significant) compromises in order to make the game work and like it is with hybrids they often aren't especially good at any thing they try to do. As a likely result, 3D Mario fans will complain about the lack of exploration aspects (if you thought Super Mario Galaxy 2 was bad in regards to this, brace yourself for Super Mario 3DS) and 2D Mario fans will hate pretty much everything about it: Slower tempo, less precision, Tanooki Suit finally returning but not in a 2D Mario game and so on.
There won't be a true sequel to New Super Mario Bros. on the 3DS. Instead, Super Mario 3DS will be declared to be its successor.


Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Gamers Club

Around the Network

Likely. They're clearly making an effort to synthesize the two sides.



Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Mr Khan said:
Likely. They're clearly making an effort to synthesize the two sides.

Which brings up a question: Why, what's the point?

If you have two series that can easily co-exist and put up great and fantastic sales, respectively, why do they have to be combined into one? It would make much more sense in pretty much every way to keep continuing both series separately.



Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Gamers Club

RolStoppable said:
Mr Khan said:
Likely. They're clearly making an effort to synthesize the two sides.

Which brings up a question: Why, what's the point?

If you have two series that can easily co-exist and put up great and fantastic sales, respectively, why do they have to be combined into one? It would make much more sense in pretty much every way to keep continuing both series separately.

One team, one set of development resources to cover what two teams and two games used to cover


Though it will likely end up worse overall, since Galaxy plus NSMBWii is a solid 30 million, and i don't think Super Mario 3D would be able to match that, even if it itself matches NSMB sales levels



Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Mr Khan said:

One team, one set of development resources to cover what two teams and two games used to cover


Though it will likely end up worse overall, since Galaxy plus NSMBWii is a solid 30 million, and i don't think Super Mario 3D would be able to match that, even if it itself matches NSMB sales levels

If it would be about development resources, then it would make more sense to axe 3D Mario as 3D games take much more manpower to create levels (textures and all that stuff).

But none of the two series is a moneypit anyway. There's no fear that the games won't turn a profit.



Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Gamers Club

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
Mr Khan said:

One team, one set of development resources to cover what two teams and two games used to cover


Though it will likely end up worse overall, since Galaxy plus NSMBWii is a solid 30 million, and i don't think Super Mario 3D would be able to match that, even if it itself matches NSMB sales levels

If it would be about development resources, then it would make more sense to axe 3D Mario as 3D games take much more manpower to create levels (textures and all that stuff).

But none of the two series is a moneypit anyway. There's no fear that the games won't turn a profit.

I'm not saying its a smart idea or one that i agree with, just trying to rattle off potential reasons.



Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

I've been recently thinking the same thing too. I'm also predicting the game to a degree (a degree which I can't predict without more info) alienate advocates of 2d and 3d Mario platformers. Nintendo is being quite risky IMO. However, I've doubted them far more in the past.




Well honestly, would you expect them to make a 2D game for the 3DS? And yet at the same time they wouldn't want their handheld division to totally ignore that opportunity. So it would make sense that they decided to make a hybrid to incorporate 3D gaming while not abandoning Mario's roots.

I would not expect Nintendo to fail where Mario is concerned.



Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

On the other hand, it would have been kind of funny to see Mario swap to having 2D on the console and 3D on the handheld. You could even say SNMBWii presaged it, with Galaxy 2 as the last gasp. But I don't think that's what's happening.



Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Final-Fan said:
Well honestly, would you expect them to make a 2D game for the 3DS? And yet at the same time they wouldn't want their handheld division to totally ignore that opportunity. So it would make sense that they decided to make a hybrid to incorporate 3D gaming while not abandoning Mario's roots.

I would not expect Nintendo to fail where Mario is concerned.

If Ubisoft puts their Rabbids into a 2D platformer as a launch title, then yes, absolutely. As soon as Mario makes the jump into the third dimension (literally), Nintendo has abandoned Mario's roots.



Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Gamers Club