Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Ideas for improving Wii U's controller

superchunk said:
Griffin said:
superchunk said:
I could see the multi-touch screen but the rest is mostly unimportant and adding extra cost where it would not return high value.

How is not having clickable thumbsticks important.  I can't even think of a PS3/360 game that don't use them and all the buttons.  Lets take CoD for a moment, the analog sticks are used to run on the left stcik and knife or crouch on the right.   Would they now need to start adding standard buttons/actions to the touch screen.  You can say this won't be a big problem, but it will just slowdown games and response times.  Not only that but needing to use a massive screen just to get the buttons you need seems like a waste of bateries. 

And with the WiiU, are they getting rid of rumble now?

CoD plays really well on Wii and it uses a completely different control screen without clickable sticks. Its just not important and will work just find without it. However, I do see that it would be a added value as it does give two extra button options.

My only problem with clickable sticks is that I often accidentally click them.  While playing Gran Turismo, my windshield wipers are always turning on and off.  I guess I tend to jam the sticks around rather hard, but having important things mapped to the clicks has always annoyed me.  I realize I'm in the minority in this regard, though.



Around the Network

how about we get it so that more than one of these things can work on ONE console, to me thats priority number 1. And is anybody else getting Jaguar flashbacks??? Now that was a crazy control, Wii U looks tame by comparison



I'd also say multitouch would be great.
Other than that make it as light as possible.



Need something off Play-Asia? http://www.play-asia.com/

taking out the touch screen



Not sure if it has it, but a headphone/headset port would be nice. Um I agree with clickable thumbsticks as well, of course they have the issue of getting "stuck" and "loose" and replacing one of these controllers is quite the pretty penny haha. That's about all I can think of for now.



Around the Network
tarheel91 said:
superchunk said:
Griffin said:
superchunk said:
I could see the multi-touch screen but the rest is mostly unimportant and adding extra cost where it would not return high value.

How is not having clickable thumbsticks important.  I can't even think of a PS3/360 game that don't use them and all the buttons.  Lets take CoD for a moment, the analog sticks are used to run on the left stcik and knife or crouch on the right.   Would they now need to start adding standard buttons/actions to the touch screen.  You can say this won't be a big problem, but it will just slowdown games and response times.  Not only that but needing to use a massive screen just to get the buttons you need seems like a waste of bateries. 

And with the WiiU, are they getting rid of rumble now?

CoD plays really well on Wii and it uses a completely different control screen without clickable sticks. Its just not important and will work just find without it. However, I do see that it would be a added value as it does give two extra button options.

My only problem with clickable sticks is that I often accidentally click them.  While playing Gran Turismo, my windshield wipers are always turning on and off.  I guess I tend to jam the sticks around rather hard, but having important things mapped to the clicks has always annoyed me.  I realize I'm in the minority in this regard, though.


Yea I accidently press them as well.  When playing some games that use it to zoom, can have zoom going off like crazy and messes up haha (in Halo whenever I use the shotgun, I always go into zoom unnecessarily after shooting haha).



superchunk said:
Griffin said:
superchunk said:
I could see the multi-touch screen but the rest is mostly unimportant and adding extra cost where it would not return high value.

How is not having clickable thumbsticks important.  I can't even think of a PS3/360 game that don't use them and all the buttons.  Lets take CoD for a moment, the analog sticks are used to run on the left stcik and knife or crouch on the right.   Would they now need to start adding standard buttons/actions to the touch screen.  You can say this won't be a big problem, but it will just slowdown games and response times.  Not only that but needing to use a massive screen just to get the buttons you need seems like a waste of bateries. 

And with the WiiU, are they getting rid of rumble now?

CoD plays really well on Wii and it uses a completely different control screen without clickable sticks. Its just not important and will work just find without it. However, I do see that it would be a added value as it does give two extra button options.


The new controller has force feedback



manuel said:
I'd also say multitouch would be great.
Other than that make it as light as possible.


According the press, the controller is already very light, so it's looking good on that part.



Zucas said:
Not sure if it has it, but a headphone/headset port would be nice. Um I agree with clickable thumbsticks as well, of course they have the issue of getting "stuck" and "loose" and replacing one of these controllers is quite the pretty penny haha. That's about all I can think of for now.


The controller does already have a headphone/headset port, and that's very cool



PSN ID: lightbleeder

Wii Friend Code: 1176-2599-2195-2652

Super Smash Bros Brawl code: 0388-0514-3237

Feel free to add me and let me know when you do!

PLAYSTATION®3 is the future.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

I think a rear camera is the only thing on that list that would be useful.. Everything else has issues and aren't worth the trouble/cost