Forums - Sony Discussion - Anonymous Explains why they hacked Ps3. April 21/22 2011

Wagram said:
SmokedHostage said:

I hope they keep the PSN down for quite some time.

Is it so wrong to be wanting to see Sony burn?


So you want the other 49.5M people with PS3s to suffer too? Anonymous is a bunch of jackasses.

I'm not mad at Sony and i'll be sure to set my friends straight if they think this is Sonys fault.

Its entirely Sony's fault.



PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453
 
Around the Network
richardhutnik said:
pitzy272 said:
richardhutnik said:
scottie said:
Slimebeast said:

I dont understand the OP, it's awkardly written.

Additionally, if I am reading it right, it is the most biased thing ever

What I watched in the video is NOT why the network going down happened.  I saw they were planning attacks against Sony that wouldn't impact customers.  The network being out doesn't line up with this.  So now, individuals on here are going to become corporate lackeys and supplicants who rush to the defense of Sony NO MATTER what they do?  Do you really have to be that much of a fanboy you will defend EVERYTHING your preferred company does?  Keep doing this.  Soon, look for it that you NEVER are able to own software and merely rent it.  And you will, if Sony implements this, DEFEND their action.  You do realize that you don't get anything for this type of loyalty, outside of having things made worse for you.

Seriously? I keep hearing conspiracy theory crap like this, and it completely baffles me. Sony didn't want the ps3 jailbroken in order to prevent piracy and cheating. Geohot thought he couldn't be touched and got cocky, and so he released the code to the world. The moment he did, there was massive amounts of cheating across PSN; so, I don't see how Sony fighting to prevent this mess is unreasonable in ANY way. And I especially don't understand the connection between Sony's actions and your conspiracy theory bolded above. Sony's been making game consoles for what, 25 years now? Please explain the things they've done that lead you to your prediction.

Companies will do whatever they can get away with in the market.  Look for the music industry, for example, to shift to a subscription model.  Sony is doing this now with Playstation Plus also.  You keep paying them every month to access more and more content.  You borrow the content, you don't own it.  Actually, according to licensing agreements, the way software is based, you do NOT own the software, you merely have a license to use it. This license can change to be one where you pay to renew it also.  In the case of MMOs, it is that way also. 

What you have seen is, first, the crack down on piracy (the rationale behind going after GeoHotz).  After this, the industry is looking to go after used game sales, again showing that you don't OWN the software, you only pay for the right to use it.  You see with Netflix there is the trend to pay for usage basis, and not own anything.  That is happening, and the game industry feels it can get away with it, they will do that.  You will rent the title, not own it.  Go on OnLive to see how this works also.

The purpose of Netflix IS renting, so what do you mean by that?

I understand that there are now subscription services for music, but how popular are these services? I know I heard about them, and had absolutely no interest. iTunes is a download service, and it, from what I know, is still the largest digital music service. I think most people aren't really interested in subscription services, just as I'm not; so, if people won't support the concept of subscription only services, how will an industry make that transition?

From what I see, subscription services are an ALTERNATIVE to purchasing a product, rather than an attempt to replace it. I think they can co-exist, just as movie renting coexists with movie purchasing. I think this coexistence is what the consumer prefers, and that if major changes are made against the consumers' wishes (i.e. converting to an all subscription service), then support will decline and/or drop.



NoCtiS_NoX said:

read this on gaf and credit to: brucewaynegretzky

And  think he have great points.


Ok reading this thread is making my head explode. It's particularly painful because I'm studying for a copyright final right now. People are sitting here screaming "consumer rights" at the top of their lungs. Sony was exercising part of their copyright over the PS3 OS. The point here is NOT that Sony "owns" your PS3. The point is that as the "authors" of the system they are entitled to specific rights. The purpose of these rights is to create a system where people are incentivized to create new things. If people were allowed to create copies, hack their systems, etc. it would not be worth it for companies like Sony or Microsoft to create new systems because piracy would steal from their profits. In this particular case the right Sony was exercising was the right to prevent people from circumventing their security measures in order to allow people to create unlawful copies. Sony does not claim to "own" any part of your PS3. They do however, have certain rights in dictating how you use it. Artists have some similar rights over their works, even after they've been sold. There are certain uses protected, but you are NOT allowed to distribute the types of things GeoHot did. You can't circumvent security measures. It's an economic incentive. Another software example: If you're a small game developer why would you ever create a PC game with no DRM? The reason is because it'll be copied in 2 seconds and you would never make a dime. This is why the security measures are protected. So go ahead, keep playing with your systems. The point here is that Sony can prevent certain uses in order to maintain a system where it makes sense for them to make new consoles.

I love how he states The purpose of these rights is to create a system where people are incentivized to create new things, then says you have no right. Notice how screwed up the argument is? How are you supposed to create new things if you can't modify your product? that kills innovation!!!! Its why copywrong needs to be thrown the f**k out.

Also the DRM argument is false...



PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453
 

 

I personaly don't care what they do to sony, never liked the company and my PS3 YLOD'ed i won't be recieving my new one i ordered till the beginning of may so PSN being down those days didn't effect me i was on Steam/Live ahahaha!



NoCtiS_NoX said:

read this on gaf and credit to: brucewaynegretzky

And  think he have great points.


Ok reading this thread is making my head explode. It's particularly painful because I'm studying for a copyright final right now. People are sitting here screaming "consumer rights" at the top of their lungs. Sony was exercising part of their copyright over the PS3 OS. The point here is NOT that Sony "owns" your PS3. The point is that as the "authors" of the system they are entitled to specific rights. The purpose of these rights is to create a system where people are incentivized to create new things. If people were allowed to create copies, hack their systems, etc. it would not be worth it for companies like Sony or Microsoft to create new systems because piracy would steal from their profits. In this particular case the right Sony was exercising was the right to prevent people from circumventing their security measures in order to allow people to create unlawful copies. Sony does not claim to "own" any part of your PS3. They do however, have certain rights in dictating how you use it. Artists have some similar rights over their works, even after they've been sold. There are certain uses protected, but you are NOT allowed to distribute the types of things GeoHot did. You can't circumvent security measures. It's an economic incentive. Another software example: If you're a small game developer why would you ever create a PC game with no DRM? The reason is because it'll be copied in 2 seconds and you would never make a dime. This is why the security measures are protected. So go ahead, keep playing with your systems. The point here is that Sony can prevent certain uses in order to maintain a system where it makes sense for them to make new consoles.


Thank you for this. Excellently stated sir.



Around the Network
ssj12 said:
Wagram said:
SmokedHostage said:

I hope they keep the PSN down for quite some time.

Is it so wrong to be wanting to see Sony burn?

So you want the other 49.5M people with PS3s to suffer too? Anonymous is a bunch of jackasses.

I'm not mad at Sony and i'll be sure to set my friends straight if they think this is Sonys fault.

Its entirely Sony's fault.

If ssj12 is a writer for this website as it suggests under his avatar, i hope he gets fired.

Is it so wrong to be wanting to see ssj12 burn?

EDIT: This post has been moderated for flaming. -d1



Hellstrom said:

 

I personaly don't care what they do to sony, never liked the company and my PS3 YLOD'ed i won't be recieving my new one i ordered till the beginning of may so PSN being down those days didn't effect me i was on Steam/Live ahahaha!


Wow that's selfish? And if you never liked Sony then why'd you order another ps3?



So they're the reason for the new systems?  Amazing!!!!!! So anonymous is the reason we're getting PS4,Xbox 720 and the Wii2? Wow Anonymous is perfect! Ok so if i mess around with my car i can make a jet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks ssj12! 





"We don't always hack sites but when we do, we prefer Sony"-Anonymous

http://www.cristgaming.com/pirate.swf

Xenostar said:
ssj12 said:
Wagram said:
SmokedHostage said:

I hope they keep the PSN down for quite some time.

Is it so wrong to be wanting to see Sony burn?


So you want the other 49.5M people with PS3s to suffer too? Anonymous is a bunch of jackasses.

I'm not mad at Sony and i'll be sure to set my friends straight if they think this is Sonys fault.

Its entirely Sony's fault.

If ssj12 is a writer for this website as it suggests under his avatar, i hope he gets fired.


Is it so wrong to be wanting to see ssj12 burn?


Is it wrong for me to have my own opinions?

edit:

why don't you look at a realistic picture here. Sony is basically saying you do not really control your console, and if you do mess with it and tell others about it, you will be sued. This completely goes against the basics of freedom of information. Information is supposed to be free, and what the USA's founding fathers wanted. Copyright laws go completely against what this country was founded for.



PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453
 
Kamiyama said:

So they're the reason for the new systems?  Amazing!!!!!! So anonymous is the reason we're getting PS4,Xbox 720 and the Wii2? Wow Anonymous is perfect! Ok so if i mess around with my car i can make a jet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks ssj12! 




truthfully, I see no issue with that, if you can make yourself a flying jet car all the power to you. If that is what you dream of doing, no one should be able to stop you, only you can stop you. Follow your goal till the end.



PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453