Forums - Sony Discussion - PSP Master Keys found in the PS3

KillerMan said:

Considering how dead PSP is software wise already in west this really doesn't matter that much. Actually as this probably leads to increased hw sales for PSP Sony could get more money out of PSP this way (PSP hw must have pretty high profit margin). PS3 is of course different thing...


....hmmm, i wonder why that would be. 

humanity, a long history of fucking themselves...



Around the Network
NiKKoM said:
bmmb1 said:

I don't get it - I thought the PSP was already completely hacked a long time ago?


Neh... the Go and the 3000 weren't hacked or partialy hacked.. with this you don't even need custom firmware anymore..


Actually 3000 was partially hacked, but the way of doing this is annoying, and it constantly gets reset. 3000 and late 2000 models should be open now. 



 

Wyrdness said:
Baalzamon said:

I can see how Sony is probably upset about this and whatnot, but hasn't Xbox 360 basically been able to be hacked like this right from the get-go, and they've still had amazing hardware and software sales.  I personally think its kind of funny, but I hope it doesn't make Sony completely change everything next generation as it would be so pleasant to just have an upgraded PS3 where devs know what the hell they are doing.

Edit: Not to mention if PSP2 is similar to PSP, it may well be a buy for me, but I really don't want too terribly much to change on me.


This isn't really the same as the 360, for one you can't go online with a modded or hacked 360 as it gets locked by MS sooner or later and secondly people don't have access to the master encryption governing all 360s here the data in question is at the PS3s core so firmware can't touch it and the data can be used to sign software so the console itself will always see the software as legit with out the need of hacks running and Sony won't be able to track it as the console will tell PSN everything is normal. It's a nightmare if you're trying to stop piracy and this happens as effectively pirates can now sign the software they rip.

Ok, that sort of makes sense.  The only problem I still have is how do people mod games on Xbox live then, or is that a completely different thing?



Money can't buy happiness. Just video games, which make me happy.

Baalzamon said:
Wyrdness said:
Baalzamon said:

I can see how Sony is probably upset about this and whatnot, but hasn't Xbox 360 basically been able to be hacked like this right from the get-go, and they've still had amazing hardware and software sales.  I personally think its kind of funny, but I hope it doesn't make Sony completely change everything next generation as it would be so pleasant to just have an upgraded PS3 where devs know what the hell they are doing.

Edit: Not to mention if PSP2 is similar to PSP, it may well be a buy for me, but I really don't want too terribly much to change on me.


This isn't really the same as the 360, for one you can't go online with a modded or hacked 360 as it gets locked by MS sooner or later and secondly people don't have access to the master encryption governing all 360s here the data in question is at the PS3s core so firmware can't touch it and the data can be used to sign software so the console itself will always see the software as legit with out the need of hacks running and Sony won't be able to track it as the console will tell PSN everything is normal. It's a nightmare if you're trying to stop piracy and this happens as effectively pirates can now sign the software they rip.

Ok, that sort of makes sense.  The only problem I still have is how do people mod games on Xbox live then, or is that a completely different thing?

I don't know if that is different thing or not, but eventually a serge of them start getting banned.



 

Baalzamon said:

Ok, that sort of makes sense.  The only problem I still have is how do people mod games on Xbox live then, or is that a completely different thing?


Not 100% sure but much like the Wii it requires some effort using a PC, L4D for example has some people streaming the 360 game through a PC where they use software to mod it, they eventually get banned as Live picks up on something being unsual as the software used to hack is not official so it's not digitally signed and the 360 security will let Live know that "Hey somethings feels strange here".

With the PS3 the main master key is now exposed an example of how bad this is for Sony is that someone could copy a game like Black Ops modify data on a PC maybe add some new guns here and there, sign it then save it on their PS3 and play the game on PSN with Sony unable to track them or someone could create custom maps/tracks/levels for any game and distribute them effectively nullifying DLC. Basically the PS3 is now open to full modding games, apps and all and Sony have little to no way of dealing apart from resetting and rewriting every PS3 out there which could brick a load of them.



Around the Network
Wyrdness said:
Baalzamon said:

Ok, that sort of makes sense.  The only problem I still have is how do people mod games on Xbox live then, or is that a completely different thing?


Not 100% sure but much like the Wii it requires some effort using a PC, L4D for example has some people streaming the 360 game through a PC where they use software to mod it, they eventually get banned as Live picks up on something being unsual as the software used to hack is not official so it's not digitally signed and the 360 security will let Live know that "Hey somethings feels strange here".

With the PS3 the main master key is now exposed an example of how bad this is for Sony is that someone could copy a game like Black Ops modify data on a PC maybe add some new guns here and there, sign it then save it on their PS3 and play the game on PSN with Sony unable to track them or someone could create custom maps/tracks/levels for any game and distribute them effectively nullifying DLC. Basically the PS3 is now open to full modding games, apps and all and Sony have little to no way of dealing apart from resetting and rewriting every PS3 out there which could brick a load of them.

Oh my goodness...that's terrible news!!!



Money can't buy happiness. Just video games, which make me happy.

Sony is working on a solution. But the damage has been done.

Once it was hacked....it was hacked.

A pretty sad thing has happened indeed.



The Anarchyz said:

This just went up to Astronomically Epic Fail... As if the PSP homebrew scene wasn't large enough, now it's going to skyrocket... 

Legitimate PSP software is already dead. This can really only be a good thing: it's high-quality, new, PSP software.



(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

gamrReview - Arthur Kabrick | My All-Time Top 50 | 2013 Metascores

                                        

"<Mathieulh> looks like they emulate *

<Mathieulh> I think we shall see full psp emulators on pc soon
<Mathieulh> the kirk engine was all what was missing"



Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

sieanr said:

"<Mathieulh> looks like they emulate *

<Mathieulh> I think we shall see full psp emulators on pc soon
<Mathieulh> the kirk engine was all what was missing"

well... that's.. awesome... I won't lie about that... being able to play those games on the PC



 

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!)