The gamecube was a console way ahead of its time, the things coming out for it bend the rules so hard, it was hard for Nintendo fans to fully appreciate it. Some of us were not so happy about Wind Waker at first, until the sheer quality of the game charmed us back.
Nowadays, colors and rule-defying game mechanics are common, but back then all this was almost so new people didn't know what to do with it.
Here are some rule-defying gamecube moments:
- Wind Waker: Cell-shaded graphics
- Luigi's Mansion: A Luigi launch title
- Super Mario Sunshine - Using a water tank to progress, and cleaning up paint was not how we expected to play the next Mario
- Crystal Chronicles - Controlling an RPG with a GBA
- Wario Ware - Mega Party Game$ - No need to explain, just nothing existed like it
- Donkey Kong Jungle Beat - Playing on bongas
- Mario Kart: Double Dash - Two people playing on the same kart at the same time, almost too fun to make sense in a mainline mario kart game. Proof is, they never did it again.
- Of course you guys could pump this list with more examples like Animal Crossing or Eternal Darkness.
For a failed console, the cube sure had some top-tier games. Here, the cream of the crop:
Resident Evil 4
Donkey Kong Jungle Beat
FE: Path of Radiance
Waverace Blue Storm
Paper Mario TtTYD
Super Mario Strikers
Tales of Symphonia