Quantcast
Why cant the Xbox 360 have a browser on it?

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Why cant the Xbox 360 have a browser on it?

Where is the PS3's NES emulator? Where is the PS3's SNES emulator? Imagine that... the power of MCE and you didn't even know it existed



Around the Network
WereKitten said:
Ghstlyflme said:
@WereKitten - you obviously haven't had the privilege of being attacked by the "antivirus" virus. That comes in through normal web browsing, and I see it almost every day @ my job. It affects pc, mac, and linux so it could possibly infect ps3/wii/x360.

If the browser does not allow executing software from the web, then there's no way to be infected by a virus unless someone finds some very specific kinds of bug in the browser itself. In normal web browsing there's two kinds of software you want to run: Flash and JS. If those two engines are coded so that they have no direct access to the hardware or HDD, then the worst they can do is crashing the browser itself, but they can't cause any permanent change on the machine.

Really, it's that simple.


It is all about risk. You introduce an external source you potentially introduce risk. You may think you have it nailed right now but then life has a habit of coming up and biting you on the arse.

That aside it is the control that Microsoft want to retain but I am sure that security was also a consideration.



W.L.B.B. Member, Portsmouth Branch.

(Welsh(Folk) Living Beyond Borders)

Winner of the 2010 VGC Holiday sales prediction thread with an Average 1.6% accuracy rating. I am indeed awesome.

Kinect as seen by PS3 owners ...if you can pick at it   ...post it ... Did I mention the 360 was black and Shinny? Keeping Sigs obscure since 2007, Passed by the Sig police 5July10.

Never under estimate the power of Integration. You may have a web browser and you may be able to visit Facebook but it will not be a pleasureable experience as the site is not designed for the console browser.

A good example of this would be the BBCi Player. Availble previously through 3rd party products but not easy to use. Suddenly it is integrated into the PS3 OS and boom you have huge take up of the service.

Netflix would be a similar example for the US and the Xbox and I have not doubt that the social sites will benefit hugely.



W.L.B.B. Member, Portsmouth Branch.

(Welsh(Folk) Living Beyond Borders)

Winner of the 2010 VGC Holiday sales prediction thread with an Average 1.6% accuracy rating. I am indeed awesome.

Kinect as seen by PS3 owners ...if you can pick at it   ...post it ... Did I mention the 360 was black and Shinny? Keeping Sigs obscure since 2007, Passed by the Sig police 5July10.

yes...because it's not a browser if you can't use a snes emulator.




They should create a browser that uses a selected allocated partition on the HDD, so if you do get viruses, they would only affect your selected section on the HDD, and you could just reformat that partition. The third Xbox will have lots of improvements, and I wouldnt be surprised if IE9 came to the third Xbox, that way they could also give more incentive to buy a bigger HDD to download videos off of the web and also buy text chat pads for browser input.



PREDICTIONS:
(Predicted on 5/31/11) END of 2011 Sales - Xbox 360 = 62M;  PS3 = 59M;  Wii = 97M

Around the Network
Cueil said:
Where is the PS3's NES emulator? Where is the PS3's SNES emulator? Imagine that... the power of MCE and you didn't even know it existed

That's not a NES emulator nor a browser for 360, that's software running on your Windows PC and exporting its graphic to your TV via the 360.

This is done via RDP (the protocol used by Windows for remote desktops), for which incidentally I have clients on my PS3's Linux. On which I can install SNES and NES emulators directly, btw.

The whole point was using your console when you quickly need to check your ebay auction or a forum page or a youtube video, if I had to get up and go to fire up my PC upstairs, I might as well use it directly for that quick browsing need. If we bring home servers into this, everything changes, including the PS3 not having Netflix. I'd say let's stick to the original point, that is: why there's no browser on the 360.

Plus, I wonder: can you download and upload files from/to your 360 by using the remote browser?



"All you need in life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure." - Mark Twain

"..." - Gordon Freeman

wii browser>>>>>>PS3 browser

ps3 freezes 99% of the time! sucks because it has a better flash player than the wii.



 

   

About the Facebook Twitter Last FM thing btw. Doesnt it seem more user friendly and/or appealing to have Facebook like the Xbox will, all intergrated to the NXE than the Ps3's browser which has no flash? Its kinda like the Facebook app on the Iphone. Much easier and more user friendly, at least to me tho



welshbloke said:

Never under estimate the power of Integration. You may have a web browser and you may be able to visit Facebook but it will not be a pleasureable experience as the site is not designed for the console browser.

A good example of this would be the BBCi Player. Availble previously through 3rd party products but not easy to use. Suddenly it is integrated into the PS3 OS and boom you have huge take up of the service.

Netflix would be a similar example for the US and the Xbox and I have not doubt that the social sites will benefit hugely.

There's a great downside to specialized integration, and that's flexibility/robustness.

Create an integrated facebook/twitter interface and the next time the backend interface / protocol of those services changes, the software on your console brokes until it's updated. A web interface is always up-to date, as the web browser just has to be coded to the HTML/JS/Flash standards and not to the single services specs.

Frankly I'd prefer to have a web browser that works with things such as gmail and even lets me check my incoming google-office documents or Picasa albums shared by my friends, rather than waiting for the console maker to provide me with interfaces to the services I want to use.



"All you need in life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure." - Mark Twain

"..." - Gordon Freeman

GamerOhaLAA said:
About the Facebook Twitter Last FM thing btw. Doesnt it seem more user friendly and/or appealing to have Facebook like the Xbox will, all intergrated to the NXE than the Ps3's browser which has no flash? Its kinda like the Facebook app on the Iphone. Much easier and more user friendly, at least to me tho

Uh?  The PS3 browser plays Flash.



"All you need in life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure." - Mark Twain

"..." - Gordon Freeman