Quantcast
PS3 UNDERTRACKED in Na this week? (SONy Press Release -- 300% ++)

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS3 UNDERTRACKED in Na this week? (SONy Press Release -- 300% ++)

"Our top retailers have reported a 300% lift in PS3 hardware sales and an increase of 140% in total hardware revenue across the PlayStation portfolio when comparing the first week of September to the week before the $299 price adjustment."

Sony isn't comparing to last week, but to the period before the price drop (so when it was doing 30-40k a week).



Around the Network

One final thing

VGC has PS3 at 50K less than it is in NPD

if adjustments are made to go up (as they usually are) to the last week of september.....then technically PS3 will have been undertracked as the 300% increase won't hold true

but we'll know in a month



All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

The only discrepancy (if you believe NPD is spot on with 210k) is that Slim did about 130k the week before rather than the 75k we have. This is possible, although with the retailer confusion it is hard to say for sure. Personally I feel NPD have overtracked a little for August and we have probably undertracked - that week where Slims were available at some retailers and not others is a very tough one to track!!



I think its close enough to not care.



ioi said:
The only discrepancy (if you believe NPD is spot on with 210k) is that Slim did about 130k the week before rather than the 75k we have. This is possible, although with the retailer confusion it is hard to say for sure. Personally I feel NPD have overtracked a little for August and we have probably undertracked - that week where Slims were available at some retailers and not others is a very tough one to track!!

That would mean PS3 sold about 100k 2 weeks in row in NA which would be crazy, or lower this week's sale.



 Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
Around the Network

Sony gives out shipping numbers, VGChartz tracks sales numbers. It could very well be that the Slim is simply failing to sell out, which would not be unusual by any stretch of the imagination for that system.



Complexity is not depth. Machismo is not maturity. Obsession is not dedication. Tedium is not challenge. Support gaming: support the Wii.

Be the ultimate ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today! Poisson Village welcomes new players.

What do I hate about modern gaming? I hate tedium replacing challenge, complexity replacing depth, and domination replacing entertainment. I hate the outsourcing of mechanics to physics textbooks, art direction to photocopiers, and story to cheap Hollywood screenwriters. I hate the confusion of obsession with dedication, style with substance, new with gimmicky, old with obsolete, new with evolutionary, and old with time-tested.
There is much to hate about modern gaming. That is why I support the Wii.

Millennium said:
Sony gives out shipping numbers, VGChartz tracks sales numbers. It could very well be that the Slim is simply failing to sell out, which would not be unusual by any stretch of the imagination for that system.

They aren't in this instance.  They are reporting the sales numbers that their retailers are passing on to them.  Pretty much the same as what vgchartz does.

It wouldn't even make any sense as shipped because the slims would have come in before the first of september, and they had pretty much dried up the supply of the old model.



Millennium said:
Sony gives out shipping numbers, VGChartz tracks sales numbers. It could very well be that the Slim is simply failing to sell out, which would not be unusual by any stretch of the imagination for that system.

Sony isn't referencing themselves but retailers here.



The truth about the sales is: The PS3 is most likely over tracked.
Sony press conference can never be trusted.



numonex said:
The truth about the sales is: The PS3 is most likely over tracked.
Sony press conference can never be trusted.

Yes! PS3 is always overtracked!