Quantcast
Locked: The Official Pro Wrestling Thread

Forums - Sports Discussion - The Official Pro Wrestling Thread

d21lewis said:


Maybe WWE will buy them.  WWE is the NFL while TNA is the XFL.  Just because nobody cares about them doesn't mean the sport is dead.  If fans aren't flocking to TNA despite all of the talent they've had, whose fault is that?  Maybe they need to go back to one arena (if they aren't doing that) like they used to.  They've had some of the biggest names and most innovative matches of the past decade but they just didn't know how to manage it into something great.


WWE buys TNA and has even more reason to stick to the same old tired crap while brainwashing the majority of its fans into thinking its the only wrestling promotion in the world.



Around the Network

One of the best parts about WWE Network? The old commercials. Seeing Bushido Blade or Playstation as a sponsor brings back memories.



Twitter: @d21lewis  --I'll add you if you add me!!

Mirson said:

He was also a superhero

This is why I don't buy him as champ; he went through numerous comedy gimmicks throughout his TNA career to be taken seriously. He needed a better build-up, but WWE/DB is most likely the reason he won it.

As much as I like Magnus, his reign kind of sucked, so hopefully EY's reign will be better than his and Chris Sabin's.


He had a run as a serious heel back in '09-'10 as the leader of World Elite, and it actually wasn't bad. Then the Hogan Nation attacked...



burninmylight said:
d21lewis said:


Maybe WWE will buy them.  WWE is the NFL while TNA is the XFL.  Just because nobody cares about them doesn't mean the sport is dead.  If fans aren't flocking to TNA despite all of the talent they've had, whose fault is that?  Maybe they need to go back to one arena (if they aren't doing that) like they used to.  They've had some of the biggest names and most innovative matches of the past decade but they just didn't know how to manage it into something great.


WWE buys TNA and has even more reason to stick to the same old tired crap while brainwashing the majority of its fans into thinking its the only wrestling promotion in the world.

I don't know.  NXT is pretty amazing.  I'm pretty sure WWE wrestles the way they do because of their grinding schedule.  They wrestle relatively safely because they want their wrestlers to avoid injury and being burned out (and still make as much money as possible).  I think WWE buying TNA would give them exposure, set up some good storylines, and possibly SAVE the organization from death.  Just let them keep creative control of their product and let them "invade" every now and then.

Hell, I'd be happy if the WWE Network became an outlet for all things wrestling--WWE, Chikara, RoH, TNA, whatever.  WWE stands for "World Wrestling Entertainment" so let's get the whole wrestling world involved!  If they don't buy the others, let the others buy airtime.



Twitter: @d21lewis  --I'll add you if you add me!!

d21lewis said:
burninmylight said:
d21lewis said:


Maybe WWE will buy them.  WWE is the NFL while TNA is the XFL.  Just because nobody cares about them doesn't mean the sport is dead.  If fans aren't flocking to TNA despite all of the talent they've had, whose fault is that?  Maybe they need to go back to one arena (if they aren't doing that) like they used to.  They've had some of the biggest names and most innovative matches of the past decade but they just didn't know how to manage it into something great.


WWE buys TNA and has even more reason to stick to the same old tired crap while brainwashing the majority of its fans into thinking its the only wrestling promotion in the world.

I don't know.  NXT is pretty amazing.  I'm pretty sure WWE wrestles the way they do because of their grinding schedule.  They wrestle relatively safely because they want their wrestlers to avoid injury and being burned out (and still make as much money as possible).  I think WWE buying TNA would give them exposure, set up some good storylines, and possibly SAVE the organization from death.  Just let them keep creative control of their product and let them "invade" every now and then.

Hell, I'd be happy if the WWE Network became an outlet for all things wrestling--WWE, Chikara, RoH, TNA, whatever.  WWE stands for "World Wrestling Entertainment" so let's get the whole wrestling world involved!  If they don't buy the others, let the others buy airtime.


None of what you said will ever happen. That would require WWE to acknowledge to the public that there are other wrestling promotions in the world. If WWE buys anyone's company, it gets absorbed as quietly as possible, the every worker gets a complete gimmick makeover and all but a few lucky guys turn into jobbers for up to a year before getting sent packing. Everyone once in a while, WWE goes "There may have been another company called ___, watch this classic match while we edit out all the names, logos and whatnot and pretend like the superstars never existed before we made them."

I get why WWE workers wrestle so safely, and even applaud it in some ways. I love the wellness policy and how chair shots to the head, blading and some moves are outlawed. I'll champion that about WWE any day. But it still makes for a less exciting product. I watch wrestling for ring psychology, athletic prowess, showmanship and technical wizardry. If you can't give me that, then give me some sick bumps and "Oh shit!" spots. I'm not sticking around for chinlocks, arm drags and Five-Knuckle Shuffles.



Around the Network

On the Nancy grace issue: I have no clue why wrestlers even go on CNN. They seem to have an institutionalized boner for ragging on wrestling, wrestling fans, and pretending it's the 1980's (steroids for instance). They should have been blacklisted after that John Cena interview where they edited his responses to a bunch of blindsided questions to make him look like he wasn't answering anything.



spdk1 said:
On the Nancy grace issue: I have no clue why wrestlers even go on CNN. They seem to have an institutionalized boner for ragging on wrestling, wrestling fans, and pretending it's the 1980's (steroids for instance). They should have been blacklisted after that John Cena interview where they edited his responses to a bunch of blindsided questions to make him look like he wasn't answering anything.

Nancy Grace and Jane Valez Mitchell (I think that's how you spell it).  Everybody knows that these two are never informed.  They're just there to cause outrage.  Whenever some expert is there and actually disputes what they're saying, they are taken off camera, their mic is cut, or they aren't allowed to say whatever they were saying.  That's part of the reason why HLN loses pretty much any credibiltiy from people trying to actually learn what's going on in the world.  They're just "entertainment" like a B-Grade talk show.



Twitter: @d21lewis  --I'll add you if you add me!!

d21lewis said:
spdk1 said:
On the Nancy grace issue: I have no clue why wrestlers even go on CNN. They seem to have an institutionalized boner for ragging on wrestling, wrestling fans, and pretending it's the 1980's (steroids for instance). They should have been blacklisted after that John Cena interview where they edited his responses to a bunch of blindsided questions to make him look like he wasn't answering anything.

Nancy Grace and Jane Valez Mitchell (I think that's how you spell it).  Everybody knows that these two are never informed.  They're just there to cause outrage.  Whenever some expert is there and actually disputes what they're saying, they are taken off camera, their mic is cut, or they aren't allowed to say whatever they were saying.  That's part of the reason why HLN loses pretty much any credibiltiy from people trying to actually learn what's going on in the world.  They're just "entertainment" like a B-Grade talk show.

and why they're CEO got promoted and tasked with running CNN.

 

...sadly.



d21lewis said:
One of the best parts about WWE Network? The old commercials. Seeing Bushido Blade or Playstation as a sponsor brings back memories.



Im pretty sure THQ also sponsor a few of those, so old smackdown game commericals!



d21lewis said:
spdk1 said:
On the Nancy grace issue: I have no clue why wrestlers even go on CNN. They seem to have an institutionalized boner for ragging on wrestling, wrestling fans, and pretending it's the 1980's (steroids for instance). They should have been blacklisted after that John Cena interview where they edited his responses to a bunch of blindsided questions to make him look like he wasn't answering anything.

Nancy Grace and Jane Valez Mitchell (I think that's how you spell it).  Everybody knows that these two are never informed.  They're just there to cause outrage.  Whenever some expert is there and actually disputes what they're saying, they are taken off camera, their mic is cut, or they aren't allowed to say whatever they were saying.  That's part of the reason why HLN loses pretty much any credibiltiy from people trying to actually learn what's going on in the world.  They're just "entertainment" like a B-Grade talk show.

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=10761995

Starting at about 5:40, Colin Cowherd on ESPN takes a shit on the pro wrestling industry after The Warrior's passing. Some of his points are well-founded and are one of the reasons I don't care for the WWE, like Vince's dominance over the industry forcing workers to be independent contractors and not providing them insurance. On others, he's just plain uninformed and partying like it's 1999. He doesn't acknowledge the WWE's wellness policy. He's a shock jock that I listen to a few times a week, so don't take everything he says to heart.