Quantcast
Interesting PS3 cost-of-goods news...

Forums - Sales Discussion - Interesting PS3 cost-of-goods news...

johnsobas said:
Retailers don't make barely anything on consoles, they make the money from games and accessories. I doubt they make more than 5-10 bucks on a console alone.

From someone who worked at the retailer store (Makingmusic? Maybe outlawauron?) They said it was like 8-10%

Around the Network
JEDE3 said:
John - why so skeptical? a few months ago they were only losing 10% per PS3... MAYBE!... JUST MAYBE!!!! the ps2 isnt as profitable as everyone made it seem. Ever think of that? But of course when I got in arguements and said they dont work for sony and they have no clue how profitable PSP and Ps2 were and it might not all be from Ps3 I got laughed at.

Sony has said themselves the PSP hardware is quite profitable, and no way PS2 hardware isn't profitable.  Gamecube was the same price nearly 6 years ago and is more powerful.  Yes PSP and PS2 are less profitable than before because they aren't selling as much software and hardware.   Less profitable, but still profitable as they have been for a long time.  The PS3 is obviously the one losing money.



currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

TheSource said:

Well if it cost $850 to make at launch as Isupply said, 70% down would be $255. The thing is...they sell PS3 to retail, who then mark it up to make a profit. So if it is sold for $400 to you and I, Walmart bought it for $340...so it would be about $95 in profit per unit. My issue with it is if they drop the price $50 or $100 then you can buy it for $350 or $300, but Walmart buys it for...$255 or $297. In which case all the gains could be wiped out again. But its hard to say, Sony said that the game division profitability was down this quarter anyway. 

I bought a metal gear bundle in wisconsin at a half off mark up sale and they took $2.50 cents off so they make $5 profit on the system i bealive that because when my uncle worked at game stop back in the ps2 hay day he said they bought the system at a dollar more then they sold it for making money on perfirals and games.



People need to understand why sony was losing so much before. People liked to blame the Ps3 for most of it but now we can see clearer than months ago. A. R&D Ps3 slim. B. R&D PSP Go. C. R&D Ps4 D. R&D Ps wand. E. R&D PSP2.... That's a lot of money getting sucked up on items which aren't making anything for them right now. Add in the fact that the Ps3 isn't making money and you are left with huge loses.



johnsobas said:
JEDE3 said:
John - why so skeptical? a few months ago they were only losing 10% per PS3... MAYBE!... JUST MAYBE!!!! the ps2 isnt as profitable as everyone made it seem. Ever think of that? But of course when I got in arguements and said they dont work for sony and they have no clue how profitable PSP and Ps2 were and it might not all be from Ps3 I got laughed at.

Sony has said themselves the PSP hardware is quite profitable, and no way PS2 hardware isn't profitable.  Gamecube was the same price nearly 6 years ago and is more powerful.  Yes PSP and PS2 are less profitable than before because they aren't selling as much software and hardware.   Less profitable, but still profitable as they have been for a long time.  The PS3 is obviously the one losing money.


So you work at sony?

Around the Network
JEDE3 said:
johnsobas said:
JEDE3 said:
John - why so skeptical? a few months ago they were only losing 10% per PS3... MAYBE!... JUST MAYBE!!!! the ps2 isnt as profitable as everyone made it seem. Ever think of that? But of course when I got in arguements and said they dont work for sony and they have no clue how profitable PSP and Ps2 were and it might not all be from Ps3 I got laughed at.

Sony has said themselves the PSP hardware is quite profitable, and no way PS2 hardware isn't profitable.  Gamecube was the same price nearly 6 years ago and is more powerful.  Yes PSP and PS2 are less profitable than before because they aren't selling as much software and hardware.   Less profitable, but still profitable as they have been for a long time.  The PS3 is obviously the one losing money.


So you work at sony?

It's called using common sense.  Do you honestly think the PS2 isn't profitable?  People will laugh at you.



currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

johnsobas said:
JEDE3 said:
johnsobas said:
JEDE3 said:
John - why so skeptical? a few months ago they were only losing 10% per PS3... MAYBE!... JUST MAYBE!!!! the ps2 isnt as profitable as everyone made it seem. Ever think of that? But of course when I got in arguements and said they dont work for sony and they have no clue how profitable PSP and Ps2 were and it might not all be from Ps3 I got laughed at.

Sony has said themselves the PSP hardware is quite profitable, and no way PS2 hardware isn't profitable.  Gamecube was the same price nearly 6 years ago and is more powerful.  Yes PSP and PS2 are less profitable than before because they aren't selling as much software and hardware.   Less profitable, but still profitable as they have been for a long time.  The PS3 is obviously the one losing money.


So you work at sony?

It's called using common sense.  Do you honestly think the PS2 isn't profitable?  People will laugh at you.


Are you honestly going against Sony head huncho? People will laugh at you

JEDE3 said:
johnsobas said:
JEDE3 said:
johnsobas said:
JEDE3 said:
John - why so skeptical? a few months ago they were only losing 10% per PS3... MAYBE!... JUST MAYBE!!!! the ps2 isnt as profitable as everyone made it seem. Ever think of that? But of course when I got in arguements and said they dont work for sony and they have no clue how profitable PSP and Ps2 were and it might not all be from Ps3 I got laughed at.

Sony has said themselves the PSP hardware is quite profitable, and no way PS2 hardware isn't profitable.  Gamecube was the same price nearly 6 years ago and is more powerful.  Yes PSP and PS2 are less profitable than before because they aren't selling as much software and hardware.   Less profitable, but still profitable as they have been for a long time.  The PS3 is obviously the one losing money.


So you work at sony?

It's called using common sense.  Do you honestly think the PS2 isn't profitable?  People will laugh at you.


Are you honestly going against Sony head huncho? People will laugh at you

yea how dare i go against Sony PR that has no credibility and gives out vague percentage numbers as usual.



currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

...70%... doesn't seem so vague to me... sounds like he means 70%



JEDE3 said:
...70%... doesn't seem so vague to me... sounds like he means 70%

it's vague because no matter what happens nobody can call them wrong because we don't know the start and end to those percentages.



currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X