Quantcast
Would a PS3 price cut do it?

Forums - Sales Discussion - Would a PS3 price cut do it?

the 360 had supply constraints, but regardless of all of that the 360 didn't sell that well during that time. It didn't really have to, it had no next gen competition at the time. You can compare the 2 launches all you want, but we're talking about right now. It didn't matter that the 360 didn't start out so well because it got its killer app at the release of the other systems and has picked up momentum. They didn't let the release of the other systems steal all the thunder. The fact remains that developers have a much better chance to get money on the 360 or Wii (look at the february charts). Highest selling game on ps3 was a launch title and ranked 19th. The fact still remains that the 360 has 8 million more consoles out there, and if developers want to make a game geared toward american audience they have about 5 times the consoles out there.



currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

Around the Network

Hmmm, most posts complain about the price of the ps3 then when a price drop is mentioned people say they wouldnt buy it anyway No pleasing some people



I really don't see a price cut coming of more than $50 this year. Sony's losing too much money as it is. Things will get brigher. In two years it could a $400 system. If by then it has amazing looking games impossible on the 360, and people are more interested in blue ray, at that price it could do extremely well. Also Sony should get off their ass and make that 20GB PS3 more available. So far they've only put it out in extremely limited quantities. It's $100 cheaper. Many would go for that if they're not worried about having to store lots of data.



Bubbles said: Hmmm, most posts complain about the price of the ps3 then when a price drop is mentioned people say they wouldnt buy it anyway No pleasing some people
Just really due to lack of games right now. May be a different story in about 12 months, until then it appears the 360 and Wii are the ones to put games on at the moment. Ack, all this 'Time Will Tell' stuff!



A system at (approximately) $200 is inexpensive enough that it can be bought by most families, as a gift for a single person in wealthier families, and by gamers for one game. A system at (approximately) $400 is too expensive for most families outside of the holiday season, is (probably) not going to be purchased as a gift for an individual person, and requires more than one game to interest most gamers. A system at (approximately) $600 becomes (essentially) a toy for the wealthy ... most families will think twice about buying it, and gamers will wait for enough high-quality content to come out to justify the price. It isn't that complicated and you see the pattern everywhere ... How many cars on the road cost $20,000 new as compared to the number of cars that cost $40,000 or $60,000? How many people buy the $2 name brand potato chips compared to the $6 bag of organic potatochips? Certainly there are millions of people who buy the priemium items, but most people just want something that gets the job done. Edit: In North America a price drop to $400 would do wonders to selling more PS3 units but it won't cross into the mainstream until the price approaches $200 ... A risk Sony faces by dropping the price is that they could cause a price war they're unable to win.



Around the Network

Christopher_G2 said: I really don't see a price cut coming of more than $50 this year. Sony's losing too much money as it is. Things will get brigher. In two years it could a $400 system. If by then it has amazing looking games impossible on the 360, and people are more interested in blue ray, at that price it could do extremely well. Also Sony should get off their ass and make that 20GB PS3 more available. So far they've only put it out in extremely limited quantities. It's $100 cheaper. Many would go for that if they're not worried about having to store lots of data.
20GB could work, at least you wouldn't be starting off with 13GB on the 360. (Not a dig at the 360 peeps).



Quartz said: Microsoft at that point probalby could at the afford the losses on the xbox at that time. But the significant drop in shares for Sony in the past, and it's drop in company value it is probably a wise choice to hold out on the price for the PS3 until parts are cheaper. At this point I don't think Sony wants to keep bleeding money for every PS3 they are making at this time.
The reason they price cut was because PS2 price dropped and they knew they would not be able to keep their system alive at 300 dollars and compete against the PS2, and also the gamecube which was also cheaper. WAS I THE ONLY ONE GAMING BACK THEN? I don't see how none of you remember this. Xbox was easily losing more than 200+ dollars a console when they dropped the price from 300 to 200. http://moneycentral.msn.com/investor/charts/charting.asp?iax=1&Symbol=SNE Huh, that's interesting. I wish I had bought Sony stock back in November, I would have made over a 20% gain in 3 months. You know Sony is profitable as a company, Sony Pictures, Sony Financing, Sony Electronics, and Sony Gaming. Just like Microsoft they can afford to take massive losses cause they are a massive company. Microsoft lost 4 Billion dollars after all software sales and hardware sales on the original Xbox, that certainly didn't disaude them. And as I already pointed out, they've taken steps to lower the part costs this year, in the range of 100+ dollars. 65nm technology saves them 40-50 bucks, the EE chip saaves them 27 dollars, and reduced price of blu-ray laser diodes should be at least 25 bucks. Yes Microsoft can afford to do a lot of things, like lose money on Zune, lose money on their search program (competing with google), lose money on Xbox. But so can a company like Sony. And the only thing they are losing any money on right now is the PS3, Financing is profitable, electronics are easily profitable, the picture company has been one of the most dominant at the box office the last several years.



johnsobas said: the 360 had supply constraints, but regardless of all of that the 360 didn't sell that well during that time. It didn't really have to, it had no next gen competition at the time. You can compare the 2 launches all you want, but we're talking about right now. It didn't matter that the 360 didn't start out so well because it got its killer app at the release of the other systems and has picked up momentum. They didn't let the release of the other systems steal all the thunder. The fact remains that developers have a much better chance to get money on the 360 or Wii (look at the february charts). Highest selling game on ps3 was a launch title and ranked 19th. The fact still remains that the 360 has 8 million more consoles out there, and if developers want to make a game geared toward american audience they have about 5 times the consoles out there.
Are you talking to me? I wasn't comparing anything about these systems. I'm talking about a price drop and the things that would factor into it.



Most of you can see what Sony is trying to do here. 1)They are trying to re-invent the processor (Cell), 2)They are trying to bring more 'cute' stuff to the table (LittleBigPlanet), 3)They are trying to lead the market for the next standard in media storage (Blue Ray), 4)They are also trying to get people from all backgrounds of life. Be it hard core gamer or mature casual/young professional to get online (Home), 5)Lots of PR stuff about using the console for science research (Stanford University) And many others I can't really think of right now.You think they will lower the price of the PS3 while trying to do all this at the same time (where the other 2 major players are just concentrating on a decent games console)? I don't think so, Sony is taking on a hell of a lot. And the way I'm looking at it they are trying to stick a finger in EVERY PIE. So really I don't see a price drop too soon, best bet for Sony in the short term would be to do some good deals. Then maybe in 6 months or so think about dropping prices. *Quartz hopes he has not killed the thread!



Christopher_G2 said: I really don't see a price cut coming of more than $50 this year. Sony's losing too much money as it is. Things will get brigher. In two years it could a $400 system. If by then it has amazing looking games impossible on the 360, and people are more interested in blue ray, at that price it could do extremely well. Also Sony should get off their ass and make that 20GB PS3 more available. So far they've only put it out in extremely limited quantities. It's $100 cheaper. Many would go for that if they're not worried about having to store lots of data.
Yeah, I agree on the 20GB. Still though, evidence shows a price drop is not out of the question, example Xbox price drop 6 months into production. It's perfectly plausible, and *if* Microsoft were to price drop it doesn't leave Sony much choice. Microsoft and Sony are competing for very similar markets and if the premium was 300 bucks that would be a 200 dollar price difference to the equivalent PS3 system. I would think Sony would have to.