Quantcast
Locked: Analyst: "The Wii is already past its prime days."

Forums - Sales Discussion - Analyst: "The Wii is already past its prime days."

Shanobi said:
salaminizer said:

I agree with the analyst, I think the fad is coming to an end, soccer moms are now tired of waving their arms around holding a remote and are ready for the next step: waving their arms around without a controller and eliminating the controller barrier. annedoctal evidence suggests that Wii owners are finishing their studies and ready to graduate to the HD machines, so the WiiHD will also be useless and Nintendo will become a software-only company. there's also the issue of japanese Wii owners selling their consoles after the rumor of a Monster Hunter 3 port to the Xbox 360, so Nintendo is doomed in America, Europe and Japan too.

So you agree with him that the reason the future is brighter for the other companies, is because they have motion controls of their own coming out.

Sorry, but you're crazy on all accounts within your post.

And dear god, it's been a while since the "nintendo will be a software only company" argument got bandied about. Yeah, that'll happen after all the years of profitable hardware. (Remember, even when they were third with the Gamecube, they were the company that made the most money.)

It's so sad that I have to read posts like this.

I see another "you got me" edit in your future. 



Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Around the Network

L.C.E.C., I have to say, I may not have approved of your post, but the results it got are unquestionable.



Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Bubble pop my ass. I'd say losing 50% of your market share despite having cut prices in half, is popping your bubble



Grampy said:

Bubble pop my ass. I'd say losing 50% of your market share despite having cut prices in half, is popping your bubble

We got Grampy?!  Big fish! 



Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

RolStoppable said:

June 29th, 2009 - "The Wii is already past its prime days", analyst Sebastian Kramer from market research firm NTH* told us, following the news about first estimates of Wii Sports Resort sales in Japan. "Its sales numbers are very disappointing for such a high profile game and the modest increase in hardware sales seems to indicate that the Wii has already peaked. People just aren't as interested in the Wii anymore as they were a year before when sales across the globe were in a much healthier condition."

"Nintendo probably expected a bigger impact of its flagship title for the new Wii Motion Plus accessory, but it looks like most people are already holding out for Sony's and Microsoft's technologically superior motion control devices that are going to be launched next year.", he continued. Nintendo is indeed facing a big problem. If they are going to lose the grip on the casual market, they would have to compete directly on the hardcore front and that's going to be an uphill battle for them as Mr. Kramer confirmed to us.

"Sony and Microsoft have complete control over this segment of the market with many upcoming blockbusters this fall, while on the other hand it isn't even known how the Wii audience would react to games with more substance. Our data has shown that Wii owners are actually only buying games that they want, instead of doing their bit to bring more hardcore games to the Wii. This doesn't bode well for the recently released The Conduit."

Historically Nintendo consoles always had problems to move third party software and the Wii isn't an exception to this rule. "People buy Nintendo systems to play Nintendo games and the few successful third party games are usually casual offerings. The demographics of the Wii are sending a clear message to the publishers that they don't want complex games on the system. It's no surprise that real gamers see the Wii as kind of an amateur console."

So what can and will Nintendo do? "They are probably already working on the WiiHD to get it ready for launch as soon as possible. Nintendo did bet on the wrong horse when they decided to aim for the casual market and abandoned the more profitable hardcore gamers. It may have worked for them in the short term, but casuals have no sense for loyality. Now Nintendo is in a situation where they have to play catch up in order to survive."

What do you think, dear readers? Has the Wii already peaked and is Nintendo doomed? Leave comments in the space below.

*NTH (Now that's hardcore) is a fictive market research firm that collects its data primarily from internet message boards.

 

 

Superb article, totally agree!

I don't even pay for my wii games yet still don't see anything worth playing at this time (or wasting a disc for), looking forward to wii sports resort though but that really is it for the wii at the moment! says a lot when someone who get's their games for nothing still can't find anything worth playing on the wii, hmm......



Around the Network
Final-Fan said:
Shanobi said:
salaminizer said:

I agree with the analyst, I think the fad is coming to an end, soccer moms are now tired of waving their arms around holding a remote and are ready for the next step: waving their arms around without a controller and eliminating the controller barrier. annedoctal evidence suggests that Wii owners are finishing their studies and ready to graduate to the HD machines, so the WiiHD will also be useless and Nintendo will become a software-only company. there's also the issue of japanese Wii owners selling their consoles after the rumor of a Monster Hunter 3 port to the Xbox 360, so Nintendo is doomed in America, Europe and Japan too.

So you agree with him that the reason the future is brighter for the other companies, is because they have motion controls of their own coming out.

Sorry, but you're crazy on all accounts within your post.

And dear god, it's been a while since the "nintendo will be a software only company" argument got bandied about. Yeah, that'll happen after all the years of profitable hardware. (Remember, even when they were third with the Gamecube, they were the company that made the most money.)

It's so sad that I have to read posts like this.

I see another "you got me" edit in your future. 

Nope. No "you got me" edit. Only a what the hell are you talking about?



 

http://www.shanepeters.com/

http://shanepeters.deviantart.com/

Achievement is its own reward, pride only obscures.

HATING OPHELIA- Coming soon from Markosia Comics!

I realize that the Wii isn't in the best of times, but as of right now the Wii constantly outsells the 360 and PS3. So if the Wii is doing poor, then the PS3 and 360 must be doing god-awful. I think they're all doing fine considering we are in a recession.



Shanobi said:
Final-Fan said:
Shanobi said:
salaminizer said:
I agree with the analyst, I think the fad is coming to an end, soccer moms are now tired of waving their arms around holding a remote and are ready for the next step: waving their arms around without a controller and eliminating the controller barrier. annedoctal evidence suggests that Wii owners are finishing their studies and ready to graduate to the HD machines, so the WiiHD will also be useless and Nintendo will become a software-only company. there's also the issue of japanese Wii owners selling their consoles after the rumor of a Monster Hunter 3 port to the Xbox 360, so Nintendo is doomed in America, Europe and Japan too.
So you agree with him that the reason the future is brighter for the other companies, is because they have motion controls of their own coming out.

Sorry, but you're crazy on all accounts within your post.

And dear god, it's been a while since the "nintendo will be a software only company" argument got bandied about. Yeah, that'll happen after all the years of profitable hardware. (Remember, even when they were third with the Gamecube, they were the company that made the most money.)

It's so sad that I have to read posts like this.
I see another "you got me" edit in your future.
Nope. No "you got me" edit. Only a what the hell are you talking about?

After that post that you responded to:

RolStoppable said:
Dazkarieh said:
Rol... you're the best user on any boards in the whole world!

L.C.E.C., salaminizer and perpride, thanks for making me realize that.
I can't say for sure if L.C.E.C. was really being serious, but it's obvious that the other two were being sarcastic.

And

salaminizer said:
yes, I tried my best to follow the Wii Bingo model, obviously I'm far from Rol's level (hey, maybe not that far if you are already confused if it's serious or not!), but I'll keep improving, I'm sure.

So salaminizer "got you" just as much as Rol did.



Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

obviously it's not going to sell as much as it did a year ago



Final-Fan said:
L.C.E.C., I have to say, I may not have approved of your post, but the results it got are unquestionable.

hahaha, necro-fishing, FTW!



PLEASE HELP ME WITH THIS THREAD:
http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=50550&page=1
"
So if you hate me for pirating, then you hate Jesus. Have fun with that."
Proud Member of the Sonic Support Squad!

CHECK MY CODES!
Send me a PM if you add me on anythingper Smash Bros. Brawl, and THE CONDUIT!