Quantcast
Traditional Fighters VS Non-traditional Fighters

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Traditional Fighters VS Non-traditional Fighters

Non-traditional is stuff like SSBB, Naruto UNS.

The Street Fighter is very similar to Melty Blood and Arcana hearts, so wouldn't that make Street Fighter a non-traditional fighter according to your definition?



Around the Network
iclim4 said:
Xxain said:
Why is melty blood and arcana hearts not traditional...SSBB, power stone, are my examples of non traditional fighters

It's a semi-arbitrary category.
But yeah, Act cadenza feels like a traditional fighter, even tag matches where you have 2 characters similar to Marvel vs Capcom. It's just less mainstream.

Originally I was going to title this thread "mainstream" vs "non-mainstream" but the fighting genre itself isn't "mainstream" so I settled for "traditional" and "non-traditional." 

It's hard to categorize the difference with just one term though.  It's easier to see how different the fights are if you compare the Street Fighter IV video to the Arcana Hearts 2 video.  That's why I put videos up there.  You can visually see how one set plays compared to the other.



Words Of Wisdom said:
iclim4 said:
Xxain said:
Why is melty blood and arcana hearts not traditional...SSBB, power stone, are my examples of non traditional fighters

It's a semi-arbitrary category.
But yeah, Act cadenza feels like a traditional fighter, even tag matches where you have 2 characters similar to Marvel vs Capcom. It's just less mainstream.

Originally I was going to title this thread "mainstream" vs "non-mainstream" but the fighting genre itself isn't "mainstream" so I settled for "traditional" and "non-traditional." 

It's hard to categorize the difference with just one term though.  It's easier to see how different the fights are if you compare the Street Fighter IV video to the Arcana Hearts 2 video.  That's why I put videos up there.  You can visually see how one set plays compared to the other.

They're just visually different though.  Arcana Hearts, Guilty Gear, BlazBlue, Metly Blood, Street Fighter IV, etc, etc, all play very similar technically though.

For me I'd definately choose Traditional fighter since the ones that i consider non-traditional fighters like SSB, Naruto UNS, etc.

 



NFGBlinkAC said:

They're just visually different though.  Arcana Hearts, Guilty Gear, BlazBlue, Metly Blood, Street Fighter IV, etc, etc, all play very similar technically though.

For me I'd definately choose Traditional fighter since the ones that i consider non-traditional fighters like SSB, Naruto UNS, etc.

The whole point of putting them in different categories is to signify that they, in fact, do not play similarly. 

You can say MBAC plays like Arcana Hearts.  This is very easy to do.  If you've played both, you notice that they do in fact feel very similar.

You can say Street Fighter plays similarly to Tekken and while the most hardcore fans of the franchises will die a little inside to hear that, it's more or less true.

You would be very hardpressed to say Street Fighter IV plays like Arcana Hearts 2.  Beyond the basics of button combinations and blocking (things shared by most all technical fighters), their similarities are very tiny and the fights are very different.  I encourage you to have another look at those videos (which I know you didn't bother watching) to understand.



I'll go with non-traditional. it feels less bulky, and watching them on youtube is pleasing to the eyes (the endless combo).



I'm an ALIEN!!!! - officially identified as by Konnichiwa

Of course... My English is still... horrible - appreciation and thanks to FJ-Warez  

Brawl FC: 0301-9911-8154

Around the Network

I don't get it. I watched all those videos, and I can't really tell the difference between what you classify as 'traditional' and 'non-traditional'.

They're all games where two characters on a 2d plane or on a variety of 2d planes arranged into what appears to be a 3d arena fight by using button combinations to pull off special moves. The objective is to reduce the opponent to 0 HPs in a number of rounds, and there may be any of a relatively small number of special features (swapping out characters, special move energy meters, ect.)



Wii has more 20 million sellers than PS3 has 5 million sellers.

Acolyte of Disruption

Traditional Fighters. Non-Traditional fights suck so much ass.



Words Of Wisdom said:
NFGBlinkAC said:

They're just visually different though.  Arcana Hearts, Guilty Gear, BlazBlue, Metly Blood, Street Fighter IV, etc, etc, all play very similar technically though.

For me I'd definately choose Traditional fighter since the ones that i consider non-traditional fighters like SSB, Naruto UNS, etc.

The whole point of putting them in different categories is to signify that they, in fact, do not play similarly. 

You can say MBAC plays like Arcana Hearts.  This is very easy to do.  If you've played both, you notice that they do in fact feel very similar.

You can say Street Fighter plays similarly to Tekken and while the most hardcore fans of the franchises will die a little inside to hear that, it's more or less true.

You would be very hardpressed to say Street Fighter IV plays like Arcana Hearts 2.  Beyond the basics of button combinations and blocking (things shared by most all technical fighters), their similarities are very tiny and the fights are very different.  I encourage you to have another look at those videos (which I know you didn't bother watching) to understand.

They're played on a 2d platform, and are limited to movement.  Most moves in 2d fighters are very similar.  QCF, HCF, f -> d -> d/f, etc.  The combo system may be different like time restricitons for combos to work and the number of hits in a combo.

 

The big difference between Street Fighter and your selected non-traditional fighters are the game speed.  For instance, in Guilty Gear you can run up to your opponent, and do air-dashing.  In Street Fighter, there is only quick dashing.  The games are still 2-d fighters and are played similar.

I don't need to watch the videos you posted since i've played the games and seen videos of them.



Since Tekken and Soul Calibur are both in the traditional category, I'll go with that one




I don't really get why you'd put Street Fighter with 3D fighters when they'd play more similar to the "non-traditional" fighters you have listed.

...

Street Fighter.

...