Quantcast
the download thread will go on till bluray and hd dvd death

Forums - Gaming Discussion - the download thread will go on till bluray and hd dvd death

Game_boy said:
sieanr said:
Game_boy said:
It's illegal, so it doesn't count.


Purchasing HD movies for download is illegal?


 Depends on the place, but purchasing is no guarantee of legality. I could "sell" Transformers the movie (for example) to you for download today but it wouldn't be legal.


 My point is its not illegal



Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

Around the Network

no way will I be downloading HD movies. with file sizes of at least 4GB, it would take me hours to dl them . maybe in 10 years time it will be feasible, but right now I will go with blu-ray.



NightStalker


Message
Add Friend
Posts: 223

(09/09/07, 02:29) no way will I be downloading HD movies. with file sizes of at least 4GB, it would take me hours to dl them . maybe in 10 years time it will be feasible, but right now I will go with blu-ray.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Proud PS3 owner!

Currently Playing: Super Stardust HD, Castlevania: SoftN

Wishlist: Heavenly Sword, Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, Warhawk, Ratchet and Clank Future: ToD, Little Big Planet, Folklore, Half Life 2: The Orange Box, Assassin's Creed, Devil May Cry 4, FFXIII, FFvsXIII, Resident Evil 5, White Knight Story




as i said people wil still buy HD media, but with 2 formats and alot of people around the world already able to download HD movies you will quickly become the minority over next 2 years. look at the music industry it is inevitable.



chuckd said:
This thread brings up the major issue with downloadable content that drives me crazy. Compression sucks. The bandwidth required to download uncompressed files is not readily available. Until the next big revolution in internet connectivity occurs, hi-definition downloadable movies are only for people with great connections or those people who don't mind compressed a/v.

However, when the bandwidth is there, the movie and tv industry is in for a major shake up similar to the music industry. (MP3s also drive me crazy. Paying full price for a compressed song blows.)

I don't know a lot about it but lossless format takes up way more space than DVD... An anime episode about 25 minutes in length that makes up a portion of space in a DVD, in lossless is like 8GB ... (not sure about motion-picture, which could be way higher in filesize).... Compression reduces significant filesize while maintaing close to the source's quality. Bad video quality either with decent filesize either means bad encoder (with bad compression method), or bad source... Also note that all the stuff I just typed are what I picked up from a few people in certain forums. (though I'm pretty sure they are correct).

 With that said though... I wonder if anyone in this forum does video encoding ... I kinda be one...



I'm an ALIEN!!!! - officially identified as by Konnichiwa

Of course... My English is still... horrible - appreciation and thanks to FJ-Warez  

Brawl FC: 0301-9911-8154

It just took me five hours to download a 1.3 gig file off of the PSN. I don't doubt that downloads will be big in the future, but until the internet speeds up, I don't see the HD download market moving as fast as people predict. It is just too inconvenient to wait so long for something I could just as easily drive down the store and get in much less time.



We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

Around the Network

Case and point: Here is the Pirates movie off of a torrent site in 1080p. The file size is 8.95 gigs. Did you see that: 8.95 GIGS. That would take me a WEEK to download. I would almost rather buy the damn thing than wait that long.

http://www.meganova.org/details/542047.html



We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

akuma587 said:
Case and point: Here is the Pirates movie off of a torrent site in 1080p. The file size is 8.95 gigs. Did you see that: 8.95 GIGS. That would take me a WEEK to download. I would almost rather buy the damn thing than wait that long.

http://www.meganova.org/details/542047.html

I takes me about 15min to dl a gig, so that movie would be an hour and a half in the best conditions possible. My point is connection speeds are getting faster and faster while dropping in cost and increasing in availability. 

At some point in the future, probably before HD becomes widespread and there is a real need for a next gen format, most connections will be fast enough for a reasonable dl time on HD films.  

 



Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

sieanr said:
akuma587 said:
Case and point: Here is the Pirates movie off of a torrent site in 1080p. The file size is 8.95 gigs. Did you see that: 8.95 GIGS. That would take me a WEEK to download. I would almost rather buy the damn thing than wait that long.

http://www.meganova.org/details/542047.html

I takes me about 15min to dl a gig, so that movie would be an hour and a half in the best conditions possible. My point is connection speeds are getting faster and faster while dropping in cost and increasing in availability.

At some point in the future, probably before HD becomes widespread and there is a real need for a next gen format, most connections will be fast enough for a reasonable dl time on HD films.

 


You know a large percentage of the country still uses dial-up right? I think your expectations are completely unreasonable. Most people don't understand transfer speeds to begin with, and even more people are unwilling to pay very much for the internet. Internet service providers are just fine with that too, because it means killer profits for them because they can provide something worthless for a price.



We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

akuma587 said:
sieanr said:
akuma587 said:
Case and point: Here is the Pirates movie off of a torrent site in 1080p. The file size is 8.95 gigs. Did you see that: 8.95 GIGS. That would take me a WEEK to download. I would almost rather buy the damn thing than wait that long.

http://www.meganova.org/details/542047.html

I takes me about 15min to dl a gig, so that movie would be an hour and a half in the best conditions possible. My point is connection speeds are getting faster and faster while dropping in cost and increasing in availability.

At some point in the future, probably before HD becomes widespread and there is a real need for a next gen format, most connections will be fast enough for a reasonable dl time on HD films.

 


You know a large percentage of the country still uses dial-up right? I think your expectations are completely unreasonable. Most people don't understand transfer speeds to begin with, and even more people are unwilling to pay very much for the internet. Internet service providers are just fine with that too, because it means killer profits for them because they can provide something worthless for a price.


And most of the country still has  standard deft, and the HD formats are meaningless to them... 



Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

akuma587 said:
sieanr said:
akuma587 said:
Case and point: Here is the Pirates movie off of a torrent site in 1080p. The file size is 8.95 gigs. Did you see that: 8.95 GIGS. That would take me a WEEK to download. I would almost rather buy the damn thing than wait that long.

http://www.meganova.org/details/542047.html

I takes me about 15min to dl a gig, so that movie would be an hour and a half in the best conditions possible. My point is connection speeds are getting faster and faster while dropping in cost and increasing in availability.

At some point in the future, probably before HD becomes widespread and there is a real need for a next gen format, most connections will be fast enough for a reasonable dl time on HD films.

 


You know a large percentage of the country still uses dial-up right? I think your expectations are completely unreasonable. Most people don't understand transfer speeds to begin with, and even more people are unwilling to pay very much for the internet. Internet service providers are just fine with that too, because it means killer profits for them because they can provide something worthless for a price.


I would love to hear how many people who have dial-up have a Blu-Ray player =P  The point is new formats are decided long before the late adopters (which is what a person using dial-up is by definition) starts making any meaningful market impact.

I don't know if DL'ing can kill the formats, but the fact that some people use dial-up is a non-issue here.

@Speed Issue,

I luckily live within about 10 miles of one of the major US backbones, we get 30mb here for $20 a month.  It is still way way slower than EU or Japan speeds but its getting better slowly.  About ever 18 months to 2 years they have been raising it so I think they are in the process of doing incremental upgrades (a bad longterm plan). 



To Each Man, Responsibility