Quantcast
Google Chrome flopped pretty bad, didn't it?

Forums - Sales Discussion - Google Chrome flopped pretty bad, didn't it?

Firefox should be at a 100% market share.



Around the Network

opera is best it even wins every acid 3 test with me



N64 is the ONLY console of the fifth generation!

bet with *no one yet* that the combined first week of Monster Hunter 3 in america and europe will be 600k or more! winner changes looser sig and avatar for two months!

I use Chrome and I love it. Give it time.



Procrastinato said:

Chrome rocks. It's like a trackstar, compared to peg-legged IE and couch potato Firefox, when it comes to performance.

It's a RAM hungry and slow beast compared to Opera.

 



I don't think it flopped. On the contrary, it did something very good and important for Google: Javascript speed.

An interesting sequence of events

1) Google relies on web apps. Faster javascript is a must if they want to build more complex things;
2) They release a browser that is blazing fast with javascript
3) All other competitors focus on better js performance, increasing it significantly
4) Chrome has 1% of the market share but because of it, the other 99% will get the js speed boost that google needs in order for users to runs its apps faster

Chrome's mission is a success. Google got what they wanted and I bet they will used it again in the future to heat up competition and push the development of a feature of the browsers.



Around the Network

Which browser is best really depends on what you're using it for. I find IE tends to run the fastest of the four major ones (FF, IE, Opera, Chrome), whereas Firefox tends to run the slowest and is a major memory hog.

If, like me you're a web developer however, Firebug and the Error Console are what really sets Firefox apart from the crowd. IE on the other hand is a terrible browser for web development since it's the worst of the browsers in terms of the acid test and javascript support.

If all you do is browse websites casually, then really no browser is any better then the next imo.



The only teeth strong enough to eat other teeth.

I might try out Chrome some time. In the mean time, I'm using Firefox and only use Internet Explorer if I have to (ex - on a campus PC).



On a related note, has anyone ever found anything comparable to Firebug or Firefox's Error console for any of the other browsers? Because I'd love to have some other good options.



The only teeth strong enough to eat other teeth.

For statistics of browser usage in the general academic community, I work at a major medical university. For the month of February the university had 203,624 unique visitors, the download bandwidth was 395 GB. Of this traffic: .edu 40%, .net 30%, ip (unknown) 20%, .com 8%.  Other top visitors <1% in order of usage: .org, .gov, .de, .us, .mil. In other words the largest group of visitors was from the academic world; people that you would expect to be fairly computer literate.

Top 10 browser by %:
IE 81.9%, FF 9.7%, Unknown 3.9%, Safari 3.3%, Mozilla .7%.
Other top 10 < .25% in order of usage: Opera, Netscape, Wget, LibWWW, UP Browser (phone)

There is no separate listing for Chrome so it is most likely part of the 3.9% unknown. I tried to estimate Chrome by comparing Unknown to February of last year but that was 3% so the best that can be said is that Chrome represented something less that 3.9% and most likely closer to 1%.



SuperDave said:
Which browser is best really depends on what you're using it for. I find IE tends to run the fastest of the four major ones (FF, IE, Opera, Chrome), whereas Firefox tends to run the slowest and is a major memory hog.

If, like me you're a web developer however, Firebug and the Error Console are what really sets Firefox apart from the crowd. IE on the other hand is a terrible browser for web development since it's the worst of the browsers in terms of the acid test and javascript support.

If all you do is browse websites casually, then really no browser is any better then the next imo.
I develop and maintain websites for a University and I basically agree with you about the disadvantages of IE for web development but I use it anyway because I know from tracking our monthly web stats that 82-85% of all visitors will be using IE so it has to work optimally in IE. Then I usually test the site in Firefox since a little less than 10% will be uisng it. I mostly use Dreamweaver so I haven't had any big issues between browsers.