Quantcast
Wii game budgets 1/4 of HD budgets according to EA

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii game budgets 1/4 of HD budgets according to EA

So why aren't Wii games 1/4 of the price?



Xbox Gamertag: BrapRedHarvest PSN ID: Brap123

Around the Network

God, people let it go already. Wii is cheaper to develop for. D'OH!
Why is this thread still raging? :s



Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

 

Cheebee said:
God, people let it go already. Wii is cheaper to develop for. D'OH!
Why is this thread still raging? :s

 

Because there's nothing interesting to discuss in that statement you just made.  Its meaningless outside of the context of profit.



And marketing costs nothing. People like to think that games like wii fit were as cheap as it gets but I see adverts for it on TV all the time. I think wii fit has cost nintendo more than Killzone 2 will cost sony but it's a secret guys.



"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

Pristine20 said:
And marketing costs nothing. People like to think that games like wii fit were as cheap as it gets but I see adverts for it on TV all the time. I think wii fit has cost nintendo more than Killzone 2 will cost sony but it's a secret guys.

...Considering that the Wii Fit is on its way to making something like 2 billion in revenue, I think that it gets a pass on that front. I'm sure it's profitable. I cannot imagine how it might not be.



Around the Network
Khuutra said:
Pristine20 said:
And marketing costs nothing. People like to think that games like wii fit were as cheap as it gets but I see adverts for it on TV all the time. I think wii fit has cost nintendo more than Killzone 2 will cost sony but it's a secret guys.

...Considering that the Wii Fit is on its way to making something like 2 billion in revenue, I think that it gets a pass on that front. I'm sure it's profitable. I cannot imagine how it might not be.

Exactly my point.  If publishers invest in the Wii, rather than skimping (as EA clearly does from these statements), look what happens.

 



It's no secret that Wii Fit has a $40 million marketing budget. By far the largest ever by Nintendo. This budget is ballooned because it has market potential year round well post launch. If it were just a launch budget campaign, it would have been far smaller. 1 month versus 12 or more.

Besides, I don't think anyone claimed the marketing costs were 1/4 on Wii. Granted they usually are smaller campaigns because marketing typically scales with the development budget. Big development, big marketing. Little development, little marketing (right Capcom? Okami says hello. Market the game, dumbasses and it might sell a few copies).



The rEVOLution is not being televised

Groucho said:
Khuutra said:
Pristine20 said:
And marketing costs nothing. People like to think that games like wii fit were as cheap as it gets but I see adverts for it on TV all the time. I think wii fit has cost nintendo more than Killzone 2 will cost sony but it's a secret guys.

...Considering that the Wii Fit is on its way to making something like 2 billion in revenue, I think that it gets a pass on that front. I'm sure it's profitable. I cannot imagine how it might not be.

Exactly my point.  If publishers invest in the Wii, rather than skimping (as EA clearly does from these statements), look what happens.

I tend to agree, especially concerning marketing.



Groucho said:
Khuutra said:
Pristine20 said:
And marketing costs nothing. People like to think that games like wii fit were as cheap as it gets but I see adverts for it on TV all the time. I think wii fit has cost nintendo more than Killzone 2 will cost sony but it's a secret guys.

...Considering that the Wii Fit is on its way to making something like 2 billion in revenue, I think that it gets a pass on that front. I'm sure it's profitable. I cannot imagine how it might not be.

Exactly my point.  If publishers invest in the Wii, rather than skimping (as EA clearly does from these statements), look what happens.

 

Spending more money on development doesn't necessarily translate into better games, and a lot of what EA has done on the Wii has been appropriate investment levels on development for the risk associated with the title. Where EA has failed with several of these titles (Boom Blox comes to mind) is supporting the title with an appropriate level of marketing to ensure that people who would be interested in the title know it exists.

 



The amount spent on marketing is determined by how much revenue the publisher expects the title to bring in. By marketing time, development costs are sunk, so no, ad costs do not scale with dev budget.

Groucho, its only February. No need to make your "Ass of the Year" push so early.

I love how you got caught with your pants down saying that Galaxy was based on the Sunshine engine, and so tried to turn it around to say that Nintendo must be stupid not to reuse engines. Of COURSE Galaxy has its own engine. At the least, they totally reworked the engine to add the gravity system. (D'uh.) Nintendo always wants to go back to the drawing board and rethink things, and they would especially after Sunshine underperformed at retail.

And even if there's some source somewhere that says Galaxy cost 16-17m bucks... Is that really the highest dev budget you can find listed for a Wii game? Well under the $20m mark, for the highest-rated game on Wii, which is loaded to the brim with content, and was expected to sell many millions of copies, is supposed to prove that dev costs scale more with ambition than with amount of art assets? Even if $10m is the low end for a large scale HD game, we still know that games regularly reach the $20m mark, and these games are expected to sell 1-3m generally.

And what on earth was that "indie movie" example about? Indie movies have tiny investments, but are they "shovelware"? Devs/pubs make a higher investment when they have a reasonable expectation for higher revenue, but this is not connected to the quality of the product. A lot of shovelware with 10-20 man teams, the cost of a popular license, and a retail push, probably has a higher investment than indie games with a 1-5 man team, no licensing and no retail push.



"[Our former customers] are unable to find software which they WANT to play."
"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President. Only slightly paraphrased.