Quantcast
Will we ever see another RPG like FFVII?

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Will we ever see another RPG like FFVII?

Haha, you're welcome



Around the Network

I agree with the OP, not on his opinion about how great FFVII is, but on his opinion that this is a bad time for JRPGs.

It is like this year, I hear people saying "Lost Odyssey is one of the best JRPG ever" or "Lost Odyssey is the most emotional JRPG period" and all I think to myself is "Wow! Some people wouldn't know a good JRPG if it kicked them in the face", but hey, what do I know? For me JRPGs in general have been on a decline since the mid-late PS2 days, of course with a few gems here and there, but overall it is nothing close to what we as JRPG fans were given in the days of the SNES and PS1, pure JRPG bliss IMO.

To be honest, my faith in JRPGs went downhill with Final Fantasy XII. Enough with the Western styled shit in every god damn game these days, I wanted to play my JRPG, not a fucking MMO. Give me my fucking menu based turn styled gameplay god damn it!



iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

    

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Kasz216 said:
perpride said:


BY the looks of this the title of this thread should have been: "Give me a list of RPGs you enjoyed more than FFVII":)

Do SRPGs count?  Assuming not... off the top of my head....

FF1

FF4

FF5

FF6

FF8 (Ok FF8 sucked... but Triple Triad was better then 7 and 8's main games put together.)

FF12

Chrono Trigger

Xeno Gears

Robo Trek

7th Saga

Secret of Mana

Secret of Evermore

Terranimiga

Earthbound

Earthbound Zero

Earthbound 3

Fallout

Fallout 2

Morrowind

Dragon Warrior

Destiny of an Emperor

Destiny of an Emperor 2.

Shin Megami Tensei

Shin Megami Tensei 2

Persona 2

Persona 3

Super Mario RPG

Suikoden 4

Ultima Exodus

Ultima Quest of the Avatar

Baldurs Gate

Wild Arms 3

Illusion of Gaia

EVO Search for Eden

Lufia

Lufia 2 Rise of the Sinistrals

Inido Way of the Ninja

Shadowrun


I bought a PS1 for FF7... and it was basically the biggest disappointment in the history of gaming for me.

 

Only highlighted some of this list off the top of my head, once again making me ask. "What happened to the glory days of the SNES and PS1"?

Also, why no Grandia on your list? No Vagrant Story? I know plenty that could be added there, but nice list regardless.

 



iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

    

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Darc Requiem said:
Onyxmeth said:

Is the question whether there will one day be another RPG featuring a blonde, chronically depressed young adult with a giant sword being joined by a rag tag group of heroes and anti-heroes on a quest to stop a villian hell bent on destroying the world rather than doing the rational thing and rule it instead? Nah. That's too unique.

That's about the best brief summation of FFVII I've seen.

I Like this one.. xD

 

 



 

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

NiKKoM said:
Darc Requiem said:
Onyxmeth said:

Is the question whether there will one day be another RPG featuring a blonde, chronically depressed young adult with a giant sword being joined by a rag tag group of heroes and anti-heroes on a quest to stop a villian hell bent on destroying the world rather than doing the rational thing and rule it instead? Nah. That's too unique.

That's about the best brief summation of FFVII I've seen.

I Like this one.. xD

 

 

Pure awesome contained in this post.

This pretty much sums up what I tell to anyone who thinks FFVII is the greatest Final Fantasy ever. I just ask them "Have you not played FFVI? Same damn game."

 I think the main difference betyween the two for me is that Kefka was just pure bad-ass from the start while Sephiroth is just a confused emo who wanted to destroy everything because he found out he was a test-tube child.



iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

    

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Around the Network
Euphoria14 said:
NiKKoM said:
Darc Requiem said:
Onyxmeth said:

Is the question whether there will one day be another RPG featuring a blonde, chronically depressed young adult with a giant sword being joined by a rag tag group of heroes and anti-heroes on a quest to stop a villian hell bent on destroying the world rather than doing the rational thing and rule it instead? Nah. That's too unique.

That's about the best brief summation of FFVII I've seen.

I Like this one.. xD

 

 

Pure awesome contained in this post.

This pretty much sums up what I tell to anyone who thinks FFVII is the greatest Final Fantasy ever. I just ask them "Have you not played FFVI? Same damn game."

 

Nah, FFVII is pale imitiation of FFVI. FFVI was actually a good game.



FFVII is EPIC was thnx to Playstation hardware, FFVI wasn`t epic.
The presentation of FF7 is FAR more impressive and gameplay too.
Played both.



Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.


Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

 

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

chrono trigger 2 hurray



                                                                           

CrazzyMan said:
FFVII is EPIC was thnx to Playstation hardware, FFVI wasn`t epic.
The presentation of FF7 is FAR more impressive and gameplay too.
Played both.

 

 FFVII can't even hold FFVI's jockstrap, what are you smoking?

If FFVII is "EPIC" and is an almost 100% rip-off from FFVI then that makes VI "BEYOND EPIC". FFVI even had much better character development than VII, I think it also had more characters too, not to mention an enemy that actually accomplished what he set out to do instead of some pansie sitting inside a materia with a queer looking wing all while wearing no shirt like he was all that.

One manipulated another pansie ass into doing what he wants while the other just figures "Hey, forget about fucking with their heads, i'll just blow the shit up myself".

One was a bitch and took out the one who pretty much had him created by stabbing him in the back while he sat in his chair, once again not even doing it himself. Fucking loser. 

What did the other guy do? He looked his maker in the eyes and then dropped his ass like a bad habit off the side of the floating continent. YEAH!!!

FFVI WAS EPIC!!

 

@Darc Requiem

I agree to a point. FFVII was still entertaining for me, I loved the Materia system and wouldn't mind seeing it come back, but in terms of overall presentation, gameplay, storyline and character development, yes it is but a pale imitation.

 



iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

    

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Gee, I hope no, we don't.





Current-gen game collection uploaded on the profile, full of win and good games; also most of my PC games. Lucasfilm Games/LucasArts 1982-2008 (Requiescat In Pace).