Quantcast
Locked: Who wants to be a moderator?

Forums - Website Topics - Who wants to be a moderator?

Wii_gamer said: roadkillers said: I mean dont all vote for me at once . You guys just hate me because im a PS3 fan!!!!!!!! Hahaha!! Some good choices so far - sinear seems pretty down to earth, Staticneuron, BenKenobi, ranzchic, roadkillers, stof - in fact most of the people who have replied so far or been mentioned have been considered possibilities... Any more?
Actually, nobody recommended me yet. But interesting that you thought of me anyways. I think you're subconciously yearning for me to bring order to the forums. Thats a good yearning, go with it!



I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

Around the Network

Whoever you end up choosing needs to be someone who is going to take it very, very seriously. If you want the forums to be respected, you need mods that are respected. And take out the vote. This is not a democracy. You take applications. IE: Whoever wants to be/thinks they would be a good mod sends you guys an email describing their experience that would qualify them for such a role, and why they think they would be good at it, and how much time they would have to devote to such a task each day. Also you need to set up an email address with access granted only to mods where users can send information that they believe needs to come to the attention of the mods. (Mods@vgcharts.org) Again, if you want the mods to be respected, they will need a good deal of authority, and that doesn't need to come from a vote. In a democracy, the power comes from below. Mods' power needs to come from above, that's you guys. By the way, you seem to think that a mod's job is to go through every post of every thread. It's not. Once you set up the email address, you make sure that address is posted very plainly all over the boards, and if someone thinks a post or thread needs moderator attention, they email, and mods check it out.



It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. -Mark Twain

2004 Lincoln LSV8 - ~$15,000

K&N Cold Air Intake - $300

Handheld ECU Reprogrammer - $400

The look on a ricer's face when they get their ass beat off the line by a Lincoln - Priceless

Sintinel said: Whoever you end up choosing needs to be someone who is going to take it very, very seriously. If you want the forums to be respected, you need mods that are respected. And take out the vote. This is not a democracy. You take applications. IE: Whoever wants to be/thinks they would be a good mod sends you guys an email describing their experience that would qualify them for such a role, and why they think they would be good at it, and how much time they would have to devote to such a task each day. Also you need to set up an email address with access granted only to mods where users can send information that they believe needs to come to the attention of the mods. (Mods@vgcharts.org)
Some nice suggestions there (with the email etc). As I said, myself and broshnat will have the final say on who we pick, but this first stage of screening we want to be open. Anyone who is seriously thinking about being a mod (it does hold some responsibility and is a key part of us building a respectable forum) then email me admin@vgcharts.org with a mini-resume of why you would be suitable for the job as Sintinel has suggested.



To help prospective mods make that choice, could you give us a list of what you'd be expecting from the mods?



I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

I agree whoever is made a mod, needs to respect this site, as an employee at a buisness. They need to understand that they represent something bigger and more imporant than themselves. Moderators I feel should not be a poster. Even if they are the same person, they should have a diffrent name. Because a moderator can not have an opinion. A moderator's only purpose in existence is to moderate the forums. (as the user name) As I've said a few times before. I have subistantual experience in moderating in the past. I can think of a few good choices. But I'm not going to post my opinion because People will think I am being scarcastic. A level head, and balanced ideals. Means NOTHING as a moderator. A moderator needs to understand that when there is a problem. They can not be biased in ANY way. They have to be hard on everyone. I attack the idiots trolling the PS3 harder than anyone else, because they make what I love look BAD. Becoming a moderator is a job, it is a task. Also, the people that becoem moderators need to be able to be online alot. Or at least check in every few hours. I cant nominate myself, but as a sony fanboy, I am sharp and am more than happy to pick out problems on the Wii, or 360, and point out advantages on the PS3. As a moderator. There is no console war. There is no 'ideal' prospect. A moderator watches the people. NOT if sony is winning the war, or the new Sega superness console is gonna destroy everyone. There need to be forum rules, and they need to be enforced. That is what a moderator does. Enforce the roles. They are a enforcer. EDIT: I hate nominated moderators/admins ETC. I lost my MMUD to a 'nominated' admin. When *HE* broke the rules by giveing out items to his friends that 'nominated him' I reported it. He was given a warning. I woke up the next morning, and the server was gone. I just want to say that... The other reason I wont nominate anyone.



PSN ID: Kwaad


I fly this flag in victory!

Around the Network

Sintinel said: Whoever you end up choosing needs to be someone who is going to take it very, very seriously. If you want the forums to be respected, you need mods that are respected. And take out the vote. This is not a democracy. You take applications. IE: Whoever wants to be/thinks they would be a good mod sends you guys an email describing their experience that would qualify them for such a role, and why they think they would be good at it, and how much time they would have to devote to such a task each day. Also you need to set up an email address with access granted only to mods where users can send information that they believe needs to come to the attention of the mods. (Mods@vgcharts.org) Again, if you want the mods to be respected, they will need a good deal of authority, and that doesn't need to come from a vote. In a democracy, the power comes from below. Mods' power needs to come from above, that's you guys. By the way, you seem to think that a mod's job is to go through every post of every thread. It's not. Once you set up the email address, you make sure that address is posted very plainly all over the boards, and if someone thinks a post or thread needs moderator attention, they email, and mods check it out.
Nah, if that was directed at me. I usally go thru all the posts anyway, just because people have an issue using the report post option, but this site does need a report post button, that makes finding bad posts easier. (I was talking about my tasks at another site)



sieanr (He should be Kwaad's personal Moderator), Stof (For starting the "name one thing you don't like about your console"), and BenKenobi.



Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)

                   

Kwaad said: I agree whoever is made a mod, needs to respect this site, as an employee at a buisness. They need to understand that they represent something bigger and more imporant than themselves. Moderators I feel should not be a poster. Even if they are the same person, they should have a diffrent name. Because a moderator can not have an opinion. A moderator's only purpose in existence is to moderate the forums. (as the user name) As I've said a few times before. I have subistantual experience in moderating in the past. I can think of a few good choices. But I'm not going to post my opinion because People will think I am being scarcastic. A level head, and balanced ideals. Means NOTHING as a moderator. A moderator needs to understand that when there is a problem. They can not be biased in ANY way. They have to be hard on everyone. I attack the idiots trolling the PS3 harder than anyone else, because they make what I love look BAD. Becoming a moderator is a job, it is a task. Also, the people that becoem moderators need to be able to be online alot. Or at least check in every few hours. I cant nominate myself, but as a sony fanboy, I am sharp and am more than happy to pick out problems on the Wii, or 360, and point out advantages on the PS3. As a moderator. There is no console war. There is no 'ideal' prospect. A moderator watches the people. NOT if sony is winning the war, or the new Sega superness console is gonna destroy everyone. There need to be forum rules, and they need to be enforced. That is what a moderator does. Enforce the roles. They are a enforcer.
I agree with everything you just said. You seem to have an excellent grasp on what a mod is all about and It would be an honor to nominate you and Baka as mods.



Sintinel said: Whoever you end up choosing needs to be someone who is going to take it very, very seriously. If you want the forums to be respected, you need mods that are respected. And take out the vote. This is not a democracy. You take applications. IE: Whoever wants to be/thinks they would be a good mod sends you guys an email describing their experience that would qualify them for such a role, and why they think they would be good at it, and how much time they would have to devote to such a task each day. Also you need to set up an email address with access granted only to mods where users can send information that they believe needs to come to the attention of the mods. (Mods@vgcharts.org) Again, if you want the mods to be respected, they will need a good deal of authority, and that doesn't need to come from a vote. In a democracy, the power comes from below. Mods' power needs to come from above, that's you guys. By the way, you seem to think that a mod's job is to go through every post of every thread. It's not. Once you set up the email address, you make sure that address is posted very plainly all over the boards, and if someone thinks a post or thread needs moderator attention, they email, and mods check it out.
Haha. Exactly what I'm saying about who is picked. EDIT:
Death2009 said: I agree with everything you just said. You seem to have an excellent grasp on what a mod is all about and It would be an honor to nominate you and Baka as mods.
Forget what I said. I like nominations. no. I still dont like them. They dont help much. A good screening is most imporant. EDIT2: A good knowledge of the script system would be nice so the mods can edit posts to fix some things as well.



PSN ID: Kwaad


I fly this flag in victory!

Awwww, Kwaad is gunna win the moderator spot hes to popular not to. *Crys* I hope you remember me when you become big!



fgsduilfgasuklwgefidslzfgb4yiogwefhawi4fbielat5gy240bh3e