Quantcast
Kwaad's back. With PSP.

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Kwaad's back. With PSP.

I covered this (in depth) in another forum, so I won't bother doing it again here. But in short - I played a PSP for about 10minutes. Looks great, nice screen, etc... Then I got bored of it. Its just a cut-down PS2, and that's all it will ever be. Never picked one up again, and never will. Most of the good games will eventually come out on the PS2 anyway. Most of the games I love on the DS are simply not possible on a PSP (or a console). Its different, and the games are different. And that's why the DS outsells the PSP by 5:1 every week in Japan.



Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Around the Network

hmm power stone and metal gear huh that gets me thigking and i forgot about killzone and gt. well i have a tough desition to make 360 or psp and animal crossing lol



shams said: Most of the games I love on the DS are simply not possible on a PSP (or a console). Its different, and the games are different. And that's why the DS outsells the PSP by 5:1 every week in Japan.
Totally agreed. Try EBA on the PSP! However, to be fair, the DS is absolute shite for racing games (apart from Mario Kart, that is). And I do mean mega crapola, a la mobile phone.



your mother said: shams said: Most of the games I love on the DS are simply not possible on a PSP (or a console). Its different, and the games are different. And that's why the DS outsells the PSP by 5:1 every week in Japan. Totally agreed. Try EBA on the PSP! However, to be fair, the DS is absolute shite for racing games (apart from Mario Kart, that is). And I do mean mega crapola, a la mobile phone.
Actually, my company makes some pretty kick-arse mobile racing games - to the point where they are starting to get close to PSP level ;) But yeah - I do agree. Racers on the DS (in fact, most "3d" games) suck - as its simply not designed for that. But then I'd argue that they suck on the PSP as well - esp. compared to even the PS2 (and definitely compared to PGR3, etc). (I should note that I pretty much hate racers - even though I own GT3/GT4 - and Im completely over FPS/3rd-person shooters, etc. Even GOW didn't hold my interest). Give me EBA, Nintendogs, Brain Training, NSMB anyday etc (sorry, digressing again :P).



Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

shams said: I covered this (in depth) in another forum, so I won't bother doing it again here. But in short - I played a PSP for about 10minutes. Looks great, nice screen, etc... Then I got bored of it. Its just a cut-down PS2, and that's all it will ever be. Never picked one up again, and never will. Most of the good games will eventually come out on the PS2 anyway. Most of the games I love on the DS are simply not possible on a PSP (or a console). Its different, and the games are different. And that's why the DS outsells the PSP by 5:1 every week in Japan.
your mother said: windbane said: I also think that many people have the impression that the PSP is a portable PS2, and if you already have a PS2, then why buy another?
well "your mother," you certainly nailed that one. Vice city stories has yet to be ported to PS2, I don't think portable ops will be, lumines, size matters...a bunch of others...will not be ported to the PS2. who wants to play a PS2 port of a PORTABLE console? the only thing the DS can do that the PSP can't is touchscreen. i'd like to know how many games use that really well (I honestly don't know and would like to if someone wants to tell me). but the PSP can also emulate old games (atari to PS1 and everything inbetween), and for free. as for load times, playing the games on the memory stick improves that greatly and I'm able to do that for any game. it can also use other software such as a radio player. So, the DS has a touchscreen, which is certainly unique for a game system, but the psp has a lot more capabilities that the DS doesn't have: video, music, better graphics, wifi connection to ps3 (soon from anywhere), pictures, radio and other free aps, and soon skype (phone capabilities using software and internet), etc... besides the unique DS games (and again, the PSP has its own), the biggest advantage the DS has is price. so, just with the PS3, the price comes down to all you want to do with it. I think the PSP is worth the extra $70 to be able to do all of the above I mentioned. b



Around the Network

shams said: your mother said: shams said: Most of the games I love on the DS are simply not possible on a PSP (or a console). Its different, and the games are different. And that's why the DS outsells the PSP by 5:1 every week in Japan. Totally agreed. Try EBA on the PSP! However, to be fair, the DS is absolute shite for racing games (apart from Mario Kart, that is). And I do mean mega crapola, a la mobile phone. Actually, my company makes some pretty kick-arse mobile racing games - to the point where they are starting to get close to PSP level ;) But yeah - I do agree. Racers on the DS (in fact, most "3d" games) suck - as its simply not designed for that. But then I'd argue that they suck on the PSP as well - esp. compared to even the PS2 (and definitely compared to PGR3, etc).
Ah, unfair to compare the PSP to the 360, and while I do think RR on the PSP sucks (don't like "drifters"), the graphics are pretty damn sweet for a portable platform. But anyhow... However, what mobile racing games are you and/or your company developing? I'd love to see some decent racing on a mobile phone for a change!



oh, I forgot to mention the internet browser that kwaad was bragging about. it's nice being able to check e-mail, sports scores, and movie times with to psp (which is all i'd likely do if i had pda...although i can also do it on my phone for $5 a month or so, the browser is better on the psp and continues to get better with firmware upgrades). hard to remember all of the features



@windbane: I understand that developers may not port a PSP game to a PS2, (then again, look at the VC, Xbox arcade and PSN) but my point was not really that: It has to do with public perception of the PSP as being a portable PS2. For touchscreen games, there are a few, including EBA/Ouendan, Meteos (which can technically be played with a mouse as well as d-pad and buttons, but the latter makes for clumsy and slower gameplay), Kirby Canvas Curse, and Brain Age, among others. You are right, however - there aren't that many games that are designed around the stylus that would interest me, at least. The DS can emulate older games as well. Have Doom running on it just for kicks. And while we're at it, it can also run homebrew - of course not to the extent of the PSP, but it can. Also, you can use the DS as a wireless gamepad for your PC, and use the stylus for analog input - pretty cool, if you ask me. Those aren't the main issues, however. You and I both are game and tech savvy, and are willing to spend the time to figure out how to work homebrew into our portables, run linux, ad infinitum. Most people, however, don't and won't spend that effort to delve into the underbellies of these machines. And about extra capability, I am sure many enjoy having the multimedia capabilites of the PSP (the DS can, via homebrew, but even then, the results are less than stellar), but personally (and the same reason why I don't have a fancy multimedia-capable mobile phone) I have 1/2 hour commute via ferry to and back from work, and during that time I have one thing in mind: GAMES! Couldn't care less about being able to play movies or music - just want to GAME! I completely see your point, however. The PSP (like those fancy multifunction 3G phones) just isn't my cup of tea. It is the cup of tea for millions of PSP owners though!



When the PSP first launched this comparison to the PS2 was valid. I was mad at the PSP and turned off by the idiotic expensive UMD movies. But things have turned for the better. People here who say these games are ports have not really played these games and are just listening to other people. Games like gitaroo man has longer songs and different moves. The powerstone collection has different gameplay to take advantage of the PSP's controls. MGS portable ops, the acid series, dark mirror, acecompat X not only plays differently from any PS2 counterpart they have different stories and looks and change the experience. People who say that the PSP does not offer anything different than the PS2 is just regurgitating tired and lame opinions. If you have played the PSP only when it came out, or on one game, or for a limited period of time, maybe you shouldn't be so absolute in your judgemental opinions. I play both the DS and the PSP and by far the PSP is a lot better passage of time than the DS is. It's understandable for the distrust because the PSP had a bad start ,only good games IMO was lumines and acid, but for thier first entry ever into the handheld market it is forgivable. People were under the mistaken impression that because the specs seemed similar to the PS2 that devs were going to hop all over the PSP. The truth is the PSP is different and devs see the handheld market as quick cash so why not go after the people who have been dominating the handheld market for the past15 years or so.



Games make me happy! PSN ID: Staticneuron Gamertag: Staticneuron Wii Code: Static Wii - 3055 0871 5802 1723

staticneuron said: People who say that the PSP does not offer anything different than the PS2 is just regurgitating tired and lame opinions. If you have played the PSP only when it came out, or on one game, or for a limited period of time, maybe you shouldn't be so absolute in your judgemental opinions.
Correct for your first statement. But we, who probably spend far too much time on gaming forums for our sanity's sake, eat, pee and shit games. Most people on earth don't. Lucrative and growing as the gaming industry is, it's not nearly as mass-market as listening to music or watching movies (just give it a generation or two, though). The majority of those who don't comprise the 20-odd members of this forum couldn't care less whether the PSP has better hardware or can interface with the PS3 via WiFi or that it can soon, via a special interactive Bluetooth dongle, wipe your ass with three-ply tissue. Not everyone is "hardcore" - frequently, even people who buy technology (LCD TVs, PCs, and so on) are blissfully ignorant of what the hell they are buying. They aren't well-versed in jargon such as HDMI, 1080p/1080i/720p/480p/480i, don't know how to turn on their computers let alone troubleshoot them, and frankly, couldn't care less. As for your second quote, I think that may also be a big consumer-related problem: Many people have already passed judgement. You know what they say about first impressions. And I'm willing to wager that loads of them don't see the PSP as anything else but a portable PS2. So what do they do? They spread the "PSP = PS2" spiel to other non-"hardcore gamer" consumers. Inadvertently, but they do. This limits PSP adoption as well dy driving away potential buyers. Sad but true. (You should as a gamer "ambassador" go and preach the gaming gospel and show them the light. I know I try all the time, and you'd be amazed at the stuff you hear.) Some PSP games are truly great. The technology is quite impressive as well (albeit somewhat fragile) and touch/dual screen aside, the PSP smokes the DS in the horsepower department. But, how does the rest of the world that don't name their offspring after videogame characters view the PSP? Versus the DS? They both are portable consoles, why the almost 2:1 difference?