Quantcast
Locked: "Sony risks falling out of console battle"

Forums - Gaming Discussion - "Sony risks falling out of console battle"

washimul said: shams said: 5) BLUE_RAY is pounding HD_DVD camp all over. BLUE-RAY has major support from most of the big companies. ALready AUSTRALIAn stores have stopped selling HD_DVD drive.
PSP World Aug 31, 2005 "At the Entertainment Media Expo in Hollywood, Sony executives touted the success of their UMD format. The company said it has already sold 9 million games on UMD and 8.2 million movies. Sony is currently producing 200,000 UMDs a day and future capacity is expected to be 500,000 per day. Sony expects videos to account for more than 60 percent of all UMD sales in the a few years, with an expected 130 million UMDs being sold in 2008." http://www.pspworld.com/sony-psp/umd-movies/umd-sales-strong-sony-to-boost-production-001384.php UMD seemed to be selling amazingly well on the PSP for the first few months after it launched ... Next Generation Thursday, 30 March 2006 "Reuters reports Hollywood sources saying that Wal-Mart is pulling out of UMD. The reports adds that UMD sections at retail are shrinking fast." "One unnamed president of a major studio is quoted as saying, 'No one's watching movies on PSP. It's a game player, period.'" http://www.vgcharts.org/forum/reply.php?thread=414&quote=4160 It took less than a year for everyone to go from praising how successful the UMD format was to it being pulled from the shelves of most stores.
washimul said: 6) ps3 is projected to dominate Europe and US come MARCH . With GUNDAM MUSOU releasing on MARCH 1st you would ofcourse expect the hardware sales double for some weeks atleast.
Projected? By who? The PS3 will (probably) be the best selling platform in Europe in the month of March because it is just launching there; it will not be as large of a margin as you (probably) anticipate being that the PS3 is launching late in the month and will probably only sell it's initial shipment in that time. After that expect sales paterns like are being demonstrated in North America and Japan. Remember most Europeans make far less than Americans and the PS3 is more expensive than it is in North America; much like Canada vs. the US the PS3 could potentially end up performing far worse in Europe than it has been performing in the United States.
washimul said: 7) The software sales for ps3 has improved with time and ofcourse would reach 5:1 after march no doubt.
So ... In Japan PS3 owners are (on average) going to buy 4 new games in March with the average new PS3 purchase including 5 games? Do you know how insane that sounds?



Around the Network

your mother said: narj said: kwaad me tenes las pelotas llenas . deja de romper las pelotas por favor. LOL that was some spanish*don`t try totranslate it on google translate*. rofl sos argentino! te voy a escribir de tal manera que el "traductor kwaadiano" no pueda (creo) entender - ahi va: segunel"chupamazos"dekwaadelnotieneuntraductorenlinea loquetieneesuntraductorinstaladoensucompu no vayas a ofenderle a kwaad, al hijo de la valientisima puta que lame la verga de ken kutaragi para postre - de lo contrario vas a tener que aguantar otra estupida retorica de ese cabron.
Creo que este tipo de post ,tan maleducados e imbeciles ,sobran en este foro .Que pena ,cuando nadie conocia este sitio estaba mucho mejor .Pocos ,pero bien avenidos y respetuosos .Se ve que ahora que es mas famoso entrais todos los fanboys a decir bobadas .



mejor tomate un calmante. el man es el mismo que arma bochinche y pasa insultando a otros. no se de vos pero el que no respeta no merece ser respetado. cual es tu razon para respetarle? si la onda no es con vos man... fanboy mi huevo izquierdo.



jajajsabia q habia gente q hablaba español. che diomedes espero qno me estes hablando a mi porq yo no insulte a kwaad, solo le dije q no hinche las pelotas



 

 

People who claim Sony is dieing or out of the console battle are really out of touch with reality. Think about who really decides the console war. Is it the hardcore fanbase who buys consoles in the first year of a system's launch? Well if that was true the N64 would have beat the PS1. The fact is the console race is a marathon not a sprint. I'm saying this as an unbiased analysis, the 360 has at least as much to be worried about as the PS3. Sony's brand name in video games is still far more healthy than Microsofts, as can be seen when the PS2 still outselling the 360. Who really decides this race? It's the casual gamer that makes up a bigger share of the market than the real hardcore, who almost exclusively went to the PS2 last gen, and who don't start buying consoles until a few years into the generation. The 360 will have a hard time with that casual market. It's a system built almost exclusively for the hardcore. Right now the PS3 is not a great system for the casual gamer, but once Blue Ray gets more interest and maybe the price comes down a bit in a couple of years it will definetly pick up steam.



Around the Network

Christopher_G2 said: People who claim Sony is dieing or out of the console battle are really out of touch with reality. Think about who really decides the console war. Is it the hardcore fanbase who buys consoles in the first year of a system's launch? Well if that was true the N64 would have beat the PS1. The fact is the console race is a marathon not a sprint. I'm saying this as an unbiased analysis, the 360 has at least as much to be worried about as the PS3. Sony's brand name in video games is still far more healthy than Microsofts, as can be seen when the PS2 still outselling the 360. Who really decides this race? It's the casual gamer that makes up a bigger share of the market than the real hardcore, who almost exclusively went to the PS2 last gen, and who don't start buying consoles until a few years into the generation. The 360 will have a hard time with that casual market. It's a system built almost exclusively for the hardcore. Right now the PS3 is not a great system for the casual gamer, but once Blue Ray gets more interest and maybe the price comes down a bit in a couple of years it will definetly pick up steam.
You're correct in saying that the causal gamers decide the outcome of the "Console War" but, I hate to break it to you, the console war is a sprint to reach critical mass before your competition. One of the main reasons Sony was successful with the Playstation and Playstation 2 was that they had a dramatic headstart on Nintendo's platforms (both: 81 weeks in Japan, 13 Months in North America) which gave them a strong sales lead; when you combine this with some of Nintendo's Mistakes, the "war" was over before it even began.



HappySqurriel said: washimul said: shams said: 5) BLUE_RAY is pounding HD_DVD camp all over. BLUE-RAY has major support from most of the big companies. ALready AUSTRALIAn stores have stopped selling HD_DVD drive. PSP World Aug 31, 2005 "At the Entertainment Media Expo in Hollywood, Sony executives touted the success of their UMD format. The company said it has already sold 9 million games on UMD and 8.2 million movies. Sony is currently producing 200,000 UMDs a day and future capacity is expected to be 500,000 per day. Sony expects videos to account for more than 60 percent of all UMD sales in the a few years, with an expected 130 million UMDs being sold in 2008." http://www.pspworld.com/sony-psp/umd-movies/umd-sales-strong-sony-to-boost-production-001384.php UMD seemed to be selling amazingly well on the PSP for the first few months after it launched ... Next Generation Thursday, 30 March 2006 "Reuters reports Hollywood sources saying that Wal-Mart is pulling out of UMD. The reports adds that UMD sections at retail are shrinking fast." "One unnamed president of a major studio is quoted as saying, 'No one's watching movies on PSP. It's a game player, period.'" http://www.vgcharts.org/forum/reply.php?thread=414"e=4160 It took less than a year for everyone to go from praising how successful the UMD format was to it being pulled from the shelves of most stores. washimul said: 6) ps3 is projected to dominate Europe and US come MARCH . With GUNDAM MUSOU releasing on MARCH 1st you would ofcourse expect the hardware sales double for some weeks atleast. Projected? By who? The PS3 will (probably) be the best selling platform in Europe in the month of March because it is just launching there; it will not be as large of a margin as you (probably) anticipate being that the PS3 is launching late in the month and will probably only sell it's initial shipment in that time. After that expect sales paterns like are being demonstrated in North America and Japan. Remember most Europeans make far less than Americans and the PS3 is more expensive than it is in North America; much like Canada vs. the US the PS3 could potentially end up performing far worse in Europe than it has been performing in the United States. washimul said: 7) The software sales for ps3 has improved with time and ofcourse would reach 5:1 after march no doubt. So ... In Japan PS3 owners are (on average) going to buy 4 new games in March with the average new PS3 purchase including 5 games? Do you know how insane that sounds?
at CES except Universal no other studios had any form of announcements for HD-DVD. no HD and BD are not based off the same tech. HD -DVD uses upgraded dvd features and is bound by the same disk surface. BD has better protection, more interactive features and dont forget the 200gig BD disk is due this fall. at present BD is beating HD _DVD by a margin of 3:1 which would increase to 10: 1 i guess by the end of this. We will soon see the what happens at European launch 200gig BD----- http://digg.com/tech_news/200_gig_Blu_ray_on_the_way hd-dvd is atbest expandable to 60gig ...........but atpresent u have just 15gig around. blue-ray menace in Australia http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=120 Blue ray has passed HD_DVD in terms of sales http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=117 no BLUE_RAY and HD-DVD are not based off the same tech http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=122 Uk domination starts with Casino Royale http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=119 MS !!! you are next!!!!! http://www.engadget.com/2007/01/08/sonys-1-000-000-1-contrast-ratio-27-inch-oled-hdtv/ 1000 000 :1 contast ratio being diplayed by the most sophisticated OLED tv at CES Toshiba /Samsung with SED maxes at 100 000:1 ...........................competitors has no response to OLED tech. just like the CELL which is a minimum of 10x powerful as any processor in the market.........including the 113 million dollar massively watered down XENON. FUTURE LOOKS BRIGHT ONLY IF THERE IS SONY!!!!!!!!!!!



washimul, did you even understand what I was getting at with my Blu-Ray to UMD comparison? After 3 months people said that UMD was a great success because of how well it sold and it failed ... Blu-Ray has existed for (about) 3 months ... This time next year, if Blu-Ray is still dominant, you can claim that HD-DVD is dead; until then there is so much that can happen that HD-DVD can still come out on top.

just like the CELL which is a minimum of 10x powerful as any processor in the market.........including the 113 million dollar massively watered down XENON.
How much does Sony pay you for this BS? A rough way to look at processor performance is that a processor that two processors built to meet similar requirements, using the same process, will have similar performance. The Cell may be more powerful than the Xenon, but it is unlikely that it is more than twice as powerful. At the same time, I'm positive that the newest Quad-Core Intel and AMD processors are more powerful than the Cell (and much easier to develop for)



@washimul Do you even answer the questions people like me raise about your bold statement. Two persons in this thread has asked about two things: 1, Who as projected a ps3 dominance in marsch 2, How is the attach ratio of the PS3 reach 5 when in Japan it is around 1? Is every user going to buy 4 copies of Gundam? I think HappySqurriel made the best statment, so here i comes again: - How much does sony pay you for this BS?



 

 

Buy it and pray to the gods of Sigs: Naznatips!

I can't remember where I saw it - it might have even been a link from this forum, but haven't a few analysts dismissed the claims that Blu-Ray is pulling ahead? Supposedly the numbers used by those making the claims were skewed by the fact that the PS3 contains coupons for 20 or 30% off a Blu-Ray movie. It was surmised that once the launch coupons have all been used (in Dec or Jan), that the Blu-Ray number will come back in-line with HD. I will not pretend to not be a Nintendo fanboy (or fan-old-man), in that I am hoping that they do re-claim their rightful place at number one from a loyalty perspective. But ultimately, as long as they exist and I can play new versions of Mario I do not care. I am too old and busy to spend every waking moment worrying about who is number one. That said, anyone who thinks that Sony is guaranteed to maintain the number one spot just because they are Sony has obviously not been around, or at an age to notice the fall of Atari or the decline of Nintendo. I can assure you that none of us who spent years glued in front of our old console televisions back in the late 70's or early 80's playing 2600 games would have ever envisioned that Atari would be a non-player in the console market. It does not matter if the graphics are better, or who's name is on the box - nothing is guaranteed no matter how bad you want it.