Everytime the Playstation 3 has a new update I will edit the page to that update,discuss if you like, here's 2.42
Edit: Accidentally hit Enter when I was writing "official" can anyone please change it, if that's possible thanks
The PLAYSTATION®3 system software update may include security patches, new or revised settings and features and other items, which will change your current operating system. We encourage you to check this page from time to time for software updates and to always maintain your system to use the latest version of the system software. An update to the PS3™ system software was released on July 30, 2008. You can use this update to upgrade your system software to version 2.42.
This update corrects a problem that prevented a limited number of PS3™ systems from starting properly after updating to version 2.40. For those users who have updated to version 2.40 and have experienced the problem where the XMB™(XrossMediaBar) screen does not appear, or no images are displayed on the screen, please contact Consumer Services at 1-800-345-7669.
We have confirmed that for those users who have successfully updated to version 2.40 and are able to start the PS3™ system, this problem will not occur on your PS3™ system.
version 2.42 (with 2.41 and 2.40) update includes the following:
Displaying the XMB™ screen during gameplay
You can now access the XMB™ screen while playing PLAYSTATION®3 format software.
Gran Turismo™ / © 2008 Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. Manufacturers, cars, names, brands and associated imagery featured in this game in some cases include trademarks and/or copyrighted materials of their respective owners.
Searching the Internet from the XMB™ screen
You can now perform an Internet search directly from the XMB™ screen.
Other new or revised features in version 2.42 (with 2.41 and 2.40):
- You can now see the system clock on the XMB™ screen. The date and time that were set under [Settings] > [Date and Time] are displayed.
- When using a keyboard, you can now clear the entire text entry field at once.
- The icon is now displayed when you press the PS button for an operation that cannot be performed.
- You can now turn off the PS3™ system from the XMB™ screen using the [Turn Off System] option.
- You can now set the PS3™ system to turn off automatically after updating the system software.
- [Reassign Controllers] and [Controller Vibration Function] have been added as options under [Accessory Settings].
- You can now print images from a playlist.
- You can now sort items that are grouped in a folder by month or year using the
[Film Date ] or [Film Date ] options.
- You can now use a mini-size control panel while playing music.
- You can now play music content encoded in MP3 Surround format.*
* MP3 Surround can only be used when playing music content in Linear PCM format.
- You can now use the [Frame Noise Reduction] and [Block Noise Reduction] settings for video content that is saved on the hard disk or storage media.
- You can now play upscaled video content that is saved on the hard disk or storage media. When the video content is played, it is upscaled automatically to match the screen size.
- Upscaling of Blu-ray Disc (BDAV) video content is now supported.
- For DTS playback on DVD-Video and Blu-ray Disc media, DTS-ES and DTS 96/24 for DVD-Video and DTS-ES Matrix for Blu-ray Discs are now supported.*
* "DTS" is a trademark of DTS Inc.
- New for 2.42: Playability of some PLAYSTATION®3 and PlayStation® format software has been improved.
- The procedure for quitting PLAYSTATION®3 format software has been changed.
- You can now collect trophies in games that support the trophy feature.
[Search] has been added as an option in the browse mode menu of the Internet browser.
- The number of Friends who can be added to a Friends list has been increased from 50 to 100.
- The [Information] screen has been redesigned and renamed as [Profile].
If you want to see any other previous updates just ask and I will deliver.