Quantcast
Why Did Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn get bad reviews?

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why Did Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn get bad reviews?

I've played the four to come to NA and Radiant Dawn is my second favorite of the bunch after the FE 7.

Fire Emblem, like all RPG's, is not going to get consistently good reviews because the RPG genre is a very hardcore genre, 'hardcore' here meaning having a relatively small, niche following. This is why FFVII, which is considered by many to be one of the greatest games ever made, has an average ranking of only 92ish, and all FF games in general don't get the massive review scores:

http://www.gamerankings.com/itemrankings/itemsearch.asp?itemname=final&extsearch=0&pagenum=1



Around the Network
Broncos724 said:
I've played the four to come to NA and Radiant Dawn is my second favorite of the bunch after the FE 7.

Fire Emblem, like all RPG's, is not going to get consistently good reviews because the RPG genre is a very hardcore genre, 'hardcore' here meaning having a relatively small, niche following. This is why FFVII, which is considered by many to be one of the greatest games ever made, has an average ranking of only 92ish, and all FF games in general don't get the massive review scores:

http://www.gamerankings.com/itemrankings/itemsearch.asp?itemname=final&extsearch=0&pagenum=1

You do realize 92 is considered AAA, right?

 



No innovation, very bad story. Difficulty level was very good, I found it a tad easy until the very end, and that was only because I leveld about 20 guys instaed of the 11 you have to take into the end... and 5-6 of those guys are basically pre-selected! LAME! Make sure to only level a few powerhouses. Also the story is "meh" than "nostalgic meh" then it gets lame, and falls apart at the end. In fact, I quit about 3 missions from the end after a character I really like died for pretty much no reason and with no revelations of any kind coming with their death. Also, the graphics and characters wern't that great.



Kasz216 said:

I'd guess

Reviewers hate SRPGs

It's HARD, likely the hardest game this generation (That's any good... lookin at you stealth vampire)

Every Fire Emblem game is very similar... right down to the characters personalities.

It's a direct sequel.

 

I honestly thought it was easy. Then again, I didn't play on hard mode becuase you have to beat the game first. Also, the risk of having ro restart just seems stupid... why purposely make the game less fun?



Hawkeye said:
No innovation, very bad story. Difficulty level was very good, I found it a tad easy until the very end, and that was only because I leveld about 20 guys instaed of the 11 you have to take into the end... and 5-6 of those guys are basically pre-selected! LAME! Make sure to only level a few powerhouses. Also the story is "meh" than "nostalgic meh" then it gets lame, and falls apart at the end. In fact, I quit about 3 missions from the end after a character I really like died for pretty much no reason and with no revelations of any kind coming with their death. Also, the graphics and characters wern't that great.

Never played RD but still sucks that the story is lame.  Especially since it is a direct sequel to PoR, whose story is considered to be one of the best in the series

 



Around the Network
bigjon said:
Reviewers Are Dumb.

It was for the Wii. If it were a PS360 game (With graphics to meet the console expectations) it would be sitting on a 85-90 Meta score.

Well, the problem with that comparison is that Radiant Dawn didn't have good graphics for a Wii game. (although, most SRPG do look terrible)

From what I gather, it didn't seem like a big advancement from PoR. And since when is a 79 bad?!

That's a good score.

 



outlawauron said:
bigjon said:
Reviewers Are Dumb.

It was for the Wii. If it were a PS360 game (With graphics to meet the console expectations) it would be sitting on a 85-90 Meta score.

Well, the problem with that comparison is that Radiant Dawn didn't have good graphics for a Wii game. (although, most SRPG do look terrible)

From what I gather, it didn't seem like a big advancement from PoR. And since when is a 79 bad?!

That's a good score.

 

Gamerankings averages aren't very good indications of the actual quality of a game.  Especially if the scores are of wide range. i.e. Lost Odyssey: Lowest:2.5/5, High Score: 96/100

 



Why do some people hate the story so much? I actually like it a lot.



Never argue with an idiot.  They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Brawl FC: 0473-7449-8088

ugg1020 said:
Why do some people hate the story so much? I actually like it a lot.

It's very generic from what I can tell

 



Hawkeye said:
No innovation, very bad story. Difficulty level was very good, I found it a tad easy until the very end, and that was only because I leveld about 20 guys instaed of the 11 you have to take into the end... and 5-6 of those guys are basically pre-selected! LAME! Make sure to only level a few powerhouses. Also the story is "meh" than "nostalgic meh" then it gets lame, and falls apart at the end. In fact, I quit about 3 missions from the end after a character I really like died for pretty much no reason and with no revelations of any kind coming with their death. Also, the graphics and characters wern't that great.

Let's take this apart.  It'll be fun.

"No innovation"

-> Fixed level-ups for BEXP.  The fact that you always get +1 to 3 stats pretty much redefined how BEXP was used.

-> Authority bonuses for hanging around the leaders of their units.  I found this very helpful as I preferred the Ike/Mist support so Mist got yet another boost for hanging around Ike.

-> Skills became transferable.  Need some experience on unit XYZ?  Now I can move the Paragon skill onto it.  Need some weapon experience?  How about I move Discipline over to the unit?  Oh this unit is too slow, but hey I have a Celerity skill I can give it, problem solved!

-> 3rd Tier.  Let's take the original villager promotion type from Gaiden and the recruit promotion type we tried out in the gba games and standardize it for everyone.

-> You get to fight your own team.  Probably one of the coolest things IMO was getting to fight one of the other groups I controlled with another.  I don't know if that's innovative in the series, but I certainly hadn't seen it done in a previous Fire Emblem.

I'm sorry they chose not to rewrite the entire system for your benefit, but they made some pretty awesome additions to it.


"very bad story"

I'm sorry they peed in your Cheerios, but I quite liked the story.  I was very pleased to see how they tied the 3 separate plots together.   My only complaint was that it felt rushed at the end.  I really would have liked more explanation of the motives of the final enemies.  A lot of that is explained on the side, but I'd have preferred it to be shown up front.


"5-6 of those guys are basically pre-selected"

I'm not sure how to approach this one.  On the one hand, I could make fun of you for being unable to level most all your units.  Having had finishing runs where most everyone on my team was 20/20/20 or around there just going into the Finals, I can't see leveling being an issue unless you only use certain units all the time.  Of course, if you do that you deserve to be slapped in the face by the game as hard as possible.  I learned that in the very first Fire Emblem I played.  Spread the experience or you get into trouble later.  ^_^

On the other hand, I could also point out that those units were pretty obviously going to be there.  What were you thinking anyway?  "Derrr the story revolves around these units but I'm gonna ignore 'em."  Well gee wiz, did you think ignoring the plot centric characters would end happily?  It's kind of like sticking your hand into a hot toaster.  At some point you should going to realize it's going to hurt... preferably before you do it.

"graphics and characters wern't that great."

You're playing an SRPG on the Wii.   Do you understand exactly what that means?  If you had said "I didn't like the character models" or "I liked XYZ's look in PoR more than RD," those I could sympathize with.  However a blanket complaint about "graphics and characters" in an SRPG on the Wii is idiotic.