Quantcast
gamrConnect Presents: Their 1130 Greatest Games, as of 2019

Forums - Gaming Discussion - gamrConnect Presents: Their 1130 Greatest Games, as of 2019

Amazing thread Mzuz! Really well done.




Around the Network

I always take a look for a few games, to see where they landed.

I'd like to see Deus Ex at #171, Tomb Raider (1996) at #269, and Psychonauts at #328 do much better in 2020.

Demon's Souls moved up from #141 to #85. Glad to see it getting more love :)

Final Fantasy VII extended its lead over Final Fantasy VI. Seems like these two are always super close in the rankings. I'm rooting for FFVI to top its younger brother :P



Thanks for everything, not only the hard work but the fact I got to reveal a game every day for 50 days to end the decade. It was a cathartic and rewarding experience.
I dip my lid to you good sir well played!



Veknoid_Outcast said:
I always take a look for a few games, to see where they landed.

I'd like to see Deus Ex at #171, Tomb Raider (1996) at #269, and Psychonauts at #328 do much better in 2020.

Demon's Souls moved up from #141 to #85. Glad to see it getting more love :)

Final Fantasy VII extended its lead over Final Fantasy VI. Seems like these two are always super close in the rankings. I'm rooting for FFVI to top its younger brother :P

Also, did you see how high Hollow Knight is?  

Spoiler!
Play it already!


Signature goes here!

Mnementh said:

Nice list. Thanks mZuzek for the hard work. Disheartening that so many of my games have only one vote: mine. At least my #1 isn't dying alone with only one vote.

But there are funny coincidences: I have Monkey Island on #19, that put it at #621 in the result. But at the same place also turns up Monkey Island 2, a similarly great game. Also onnly one vote, so someone else had it in the same place as I, #19. I don't know who, it doesn't show in the official thread, so it must be in a list sent directly to mZuzek.

Rol is the only one beside me having Pandora's Tower on the list, so treat yourself y'all, it is a great game.

Both Dark Souls and Demon's Souls ended up tied at 85.  I found that interesting. I know I had Dark Souls high on my list, but I didn't put any other Souls games on it, because I feel they are too similar to get multiple entries on my list.

RolStoppable said:
Mnementh said:

Nice rant, but you are wrong with your assumption that players are stuck in a Nintendo bubble. The reason Nintendo games end up on top is that they are fewer, but of constant quality. What I mean with fewer: many people here had Final Fantasies on their lists. But there are 15 or so Final Fantasies, which is splitting the votes. Yet there are few Nintendo games all are agreeing are great.

I mean look at the separate lists from the people: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241290

Can you see so much Nintendo dominance in the single lists? I guess not. Sure, there are a few that have lists consisting mostly of Nintendo games, but at the same time you have others that have only or mostly PS in their platform column. That the end result is different is because everyone mostly agrees on the Nintendo games while from other devs and on other platforms very different games are picked.

Reality has a Nintendo bias and VGC's list reflects that.

Another point of view is the simple question which game publishers could carry a console on their own. With the only reasonable answer being Nintendo - as they are the only company that a large enough number of people would buy a console for - it makes sense that Nintendo occupies so many of the top spots while other game makers are more scattered across the list.

According to our top 20, Square Enix could, in theory, carry a console on their own.  And they played a very major role in the PS1's success, so there is some reason to believe that they could at least during generations 4, 5, and 6.  In reality though Sega actually did carry a console on their own that was very competitive with Nintendo, but only for one generation.  Sega also had more hits in the arcade than Nintendo did, but this list barely has any arcade games on it.  So Sega's game output was very comparable to Nintendo, but only for a certain period of time, which was a long time ago.

And that is really why Nintendo has so many games on the list, especially near the top.  They have been putting out high quality games for a very long time.  I have to half agree with you and half agree with Mnementh on this.  It is true that Nintendo makes games good enough to support a console, but more importantly, they have been doing it for a very long time.  If you look at mZuzek's best games by year list, 1981 is the first time a Nintendo game appears with Donkey Kong, and this year the best game was Fire Emblem: Three Houses, another Nintendo game.  There are many years where a non-Nintendo game is the best of the year, but Nintendo has just been making games for a very long time.  When you make a list of "greatest games of all time" there are going to be a lot of Nintendo games as potential candidates.  They have been at this for almost 40 years.  What other big publisher can say that?



Around the Network

Im very glad at these results, most of my favorite games did well and Hollow Knight is in the top50 right where it belongs.
The only think that stroke me as weird is Suikoden II not breaking into the top100, which is telling that more people should play it for it is one of the greatest RPGs ever, but most the important FFs did make it to the top 50, which is another thing im glad for. All in all the top 100 in full of amazing games.
I appreciat the effort @mZuzek I had no idea of the presentation of the analysis/results and time involved in this (its my first time doing it) had I known I wouldnt have taken too long to update my list.



Mnementh said:

But there are funny coincidences: I have Monkey Island on #19, that put it at #621 in the result. But at the same place also turns up Monkey Island 2, a similarly great game. Also onnly one vote, so someone else had it in the same place as I, #19. I don't know who, it doesn't show in the official thread, so it must be in a list sent directly to mZuzek.

That was Bofferbrauer2, by the way.

It's funny these little things keep popping up, and I keep thinking there must be some mistake on my end, then I go check the spreadsheet and it's all good. It just turned out to be a very different ranking this year, and I can't help but think I must've done something wrong at some point, but apparently it's just how things went. Guess it might be down to your promotion of the event early on

Jpcc86 said:
Im very glad at these results, most of my favorite games did well and Hollow Knight is in the top50 right where it belongs.
The only think that stroke me as weird is Suikoden II not breaking into the top100, which is telling that more people should play it for it is one of the greatest RPGs ever, but most the important FFs did make it to the top 50, which is another thing im glad for. All in all the top 100 in full of amazing games.
I appreciat the effort @mZuzek I had no idea of the presentation of the analysis/results and time involved in this (its my first time doing it) had I known I wouldnt have taken too long to update my list.

Don't worry about it. If I had been doing things when I was supposed to, I'd also have reminded you to finish your list way earlier. Hopefully you'll be around here for many more years to come!

I was a bit surprised to see Suikoden II outside of the top 100 too, given that it had very high-ranking votes going for it, but in the end I guess there just weren't enough of them. Still, it only missed out by 12 points, so it's not like it did too bad - it actually never made top 100 before, so this ain't too bad.



wow holy shit you included all the votes. I'm coming back to this thread this weekend after I get back from visiting my parents. Right now I'd be late to work if I tried to read all 1130 votes.  I bet I was only one to vote Ice Hockey (NES) without looking at list.



mZuzek said:
TruckOSaurus said:
While I'm super happy my #1 Chrono Trigger is a #4 (all-time high?) the games I'm really glad made it in the Top 100 are Celeste and Hollow Knight, two incredible indie games.

Chrono Trigger got #2 and #3 in the first two years, but since the highest had been #8, so, yeah. Actually, JRPGs in general went way up this year, what with all the Final Fantasy games near the top and what not.

I was really pleased for Hollow Knight too - it came agonizingly close last year (#101), but this time it didn't just break in, it smashed its way all the way through to the top 50. Celeste also went way up, having missed out on the top 200 last year.

You can probably thank me for that. I put Hollow Knight in my top six after a single playthrough, because I loved it so much. :D 

LimaBean01 said:
massive respect and thanks for all the hard work!!!

absolutely stoked at celeste appearing so high, my personal #2 - almost gave it first over BotW. also thoroughly impressed with FE: three houses, not only did it place highly, but it won GOTY!

my main disappointment is that astral chain and bayonetta are so damn low. cmon guys, show platinum some love :(

I'll  play Astral Chain sometime this year. Bayonetta games have never managed to beat DMC3, Ninja Gaiden Sigma or God of War (PS4) as far as hack n' slashes go for me. 

Mnementh said:

Nice list. Thanks mZuzek for the hard work. Disheartening that so many of my games have only one vote: mine. At least my #1 isn't dying alone with only one vote.

But there are funny coincidences: I have Monkey Island on #19, that put it at #621 in the result. But at the same place also turns up Monkey Island 2, a similarly great game. Also onnly one vote, so someone else had it in the same place as I, #19. I don't know who, it doesn't show in the official thread, so it must be in a list sent directly to mZuzek.

Rol is the only one beside me having Pandora's Tower on the list, so treat yourself y'all, it is a great game.

Well, if you would just accept that EO4 is better than EO Untold we'd manage to get EO to break into the top #100! ;)

RolStoppable said:
Brave Dungeon got robbed.

Also disappointing to see only 13 Nintendo games in the top 20, because games from Squaresoft/Square-Enix are being given way too much credit. People should really check out other JRPGs, that will make them reconsider how good Square games really are.

Note to myself: Make next year's list have at least 5 Atelier games in the top 10.

1992-1996 Square is the best. Every Squaresoft game after that is just a little worse than the last. As far as Square-Enix goes they only have games make my list because Level 5, and Yoko Taro happened to have worked for them at some point in their careers. IMO the best traditional RPG Square did this decade was DQ11, but that's just a retread of DQ8. A glorious retread mind you, but a retread nonetheless. 

Random_Matt said:
An embarrasing list to be honest, to many gamers stuck inside the Nintendo bubble. Respect all peoples opinions, but VGChartz in a nutshell.

Do you play Nintendo games? What games do you play? 

Farsala said:
RolStoppable said:

Reality has a Nintendo bias and VGC's list reflects that.

Another point of view is the simple question which game publishers could carry a console on their own. With the only reasonable answer being Nintendo - as they are the only company that a large enough number of people would buy a console for - it makes sense that Nintendo occupies so many of the top spots while other game makers are more scattered across the list.

Reality is more people probably have a bias for games like League of Legends, but VGC users only gives it 2 votes. I am quite surprised someone else voted for it.

Yeah, tons of people focused on PC centric titles, or western games. If anything there's a western bubble that a lot of gamers never break free from. 

Jpcc86 said:
Im very glad at these results, most of my favorite games did well and Hollow Knight is in the top50 right where it belongs.
The only think that stroke me as weird is Suikoden II not breaking into the top100, which is telling that more people should play it for it is one of the greatest RPGs ever, but most the important FFs did make it to the top 50, which is another thing im glad for. All in all the top 100 in full of amazing games.
I appreciat the effort @mZuzek I had no idea of the presentation of the analysis/results and time involved in this (its my first time doing it) had I known I wouldnt have taken too long to update my list.

Suikoden II comes so close to making my list. There's just too many good games, and specifically too many good JRPGs out there. I might give it a second playthrough this year though. 



The sentence below is false. 
The sentence above is true. 

I would like to know what happened to Dark Souls? Skyrim somehow beat it in the rankings, but Skyrim has aged badly.



The sentence below is false. 
The sentence above is true.