Quantcast
Xbox Empire - New Thread, New Gen, New Year, New Decade

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox Empire - New Thread, New Gen, New Year, New Decade

What Japanese IP Do You Most Want to See Ported Next?

Persona 7 41.18%
 
Dragon Quest 2 11.76%
 
Ni no Kuni 1 5.88%
 
Nioh 3 17.65%
 
Ys 0 0.00%
 
Disgaea 0 0.00%
 
The King of Fighters 2 11.76%
 
Danganronpa 0 0.00%
 
Other 2 11.76%
 
Total:17

I told you already how the horrible CPU of XBO will stop devs to do some stuff the next years on Series X because the CPU really changes possible game design decisions.

But at least DF does say that as well now so that some more people will realize how bad this situation really is. Sony's devs can design their games around something much better even If the GPU will be weaker.

Just horrible for Series X.

They went from XBO which was too weak for many to "we understood that so that we will have a super powerful next gen console but the games on it will be designed to also work with Jaguar which stopped devs this gen already to do a lot of stuff". 

Gamepass is nice and all but it won't help MS when they are behind again next gen. This time not with resolution but with physics, AI and so on...

Last edited by crissindahouse - on 14 January 2020

Around the Network




crissindahouse said:

I told you already how the horrible CPU of XBO will stop devs to do some stuff the next years on Series X because the CPU really changes possible game design decisions.

But at least DF does say that as well now so that some more people will realize how bad this situation really is. Sony's devs can design their games around something much better even If the GPU will be weaker.

Just horrible for Series X.

They went from XBO which was too weak for many to "we understood that so that we will have a super powerful next gen console but the games on it will be designed to also work with Jaguar which stopped devs this gen already to do a lot of stuff". 

Gamepass is nice and all but it won't help MS when they are behind again next gen. This time not with resolution but with physics, AI and so on...

I know I should've commented closer to when I voted in the previous poll, but criss has been echoing most of my thoughts here.  Aside from the VR-apathetic comment in 2019, virtually everything about Series X was on the right track imo.  There was virtually no chance of a XOne-level release fumble here.  I really do think this qualifies as one.  

Just think of how restraining this comes across for all of the new teams you've acquired.  The 8th-gen tech that was kinda underwhelming (even at launch) is still being put on life support rather than having a clean break and hopping into new territory that's quickly becoming the norm on the PC side.  You're effectively locked behind last-gen tech thinking when considering how to do x or y task.  It's an echo of the beginning of 8th-gen, where it felt more like 2010 PC tech baked into 7th-gen-like experiences.  

I can understand for the likes of Halo (as it's been in development before specs were likely finalized) and understand that unifying ideal for some 1st-party games soon after release.  But locking a studio down for potentially 2 years?  Absolutely dumb and I hope several of MS' internal teams speak to Booty about these ramifications.

Aside for trying to all-in on VR, this is the other critical idea they need to reconsider before the console's release.  It can have staggering implications of the Series X's early health imo.

Last edited by coolbeans - on 14 January 2020

January VGChartz Articles:

http://www.vgchartz.com/article/441948/most-anticipated-game-of-2020/ (Article - Most Anticipated Game of 2020)

http://www.vgchartz.com/article/442015/ancestors-the-humankind-odyssey-xone/ (Ancestors: The Humankind Odyssey Review -  4/10)

http://www.vgchartz.com/article/442086/weakless-xone/ (Weakless Review - 5/10)

Silver living I suppose is that he did say in the first 1-2 years so it doesn't necessarily mean 2 years, support for Xbox One could be dropped after 1 year but now I'm kinda hoping even sooner, Idc about the launch titles, we always knew Infinite would be cross-gen and I can't see Everwild or Hellblade II releasing in Early 2021, nor any of the AAA RPGs they have in development which I'd be most concerned about cause I want them to utilise every bit of power they can.

I did also see a comment from Digital Foundry on Era IIRC which said that developers dislike working on Xbox One cause it's hard so hopefully Xbox's 15+ XGS can convince leadership to drop support for Xbox One earlier than planned, just say that they'll come at a later date via XCloud.



Around the Network


Ryuu96 said:
Silver living I suppose is that he did say in the first 1-2 years so it doesn't necessarily mean 2 years, support for Xbox One could be dropped after 1 year but now I'm kinda hoping even sooner, Idc about the launch titles, we always knew Infinite would be cross-gen and I can't see Everwild or Hellblade II releasing in Early 2021, nor any of the AAA RPGs they have in development which I'd be most concerned about cause I want them to utilise every bit of power they can.

I did also see a comment from Digital Foundry on Era IIRC which said that developers dislike working on Xbox One cause it's hard so hopefully Xbox's 15+ XGS can convince leadership to drop support for Xbox One earlier than planned, just say that they'll come at a later date via XCloud.

At launch being cross gen makes sense, as well as through the first half of 2021. Holiday 2021 should have one big exclusive. Gears 6 or Fable 4. 



VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo

I stream on Twitch and have my own Youtube

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features

I also post daily news on the Video Game Industry.

If you want to contact me, send me a PM on here or tweet me @TrunksWD

trunkswd said:
Ryuu96 said:
Silver living I suppose is that he did say in the first 1-2 years so it doesn't necessarily mean 2 years, support for Xbox One could be dropped after 1 year but now I'm kinda hoping even sooner, Idc about the launch titles, we always knew Infinite would be cross-gen and I can't see Everwild or Hellblade II releasing in Early 2021, nor any of the AAA RPGs they have in development which I'd be most concerned about cause I want them to utilise every bit of power they can.

I did also see a comment from Digital Foundry on Era IIRC which said that developers dislike working on Xbox One cause it's hard so hopefully Xbox's 15+ XGS can convince leadership to drop support for Xbox One earlier than planned, just say that they'll come at a later date via XCloud.

At launch being cross gen makes sense, as well as through the first half of 2021. Holiday 2021 should have one big exclusive. Gears 6 or Fable 4. 

Yeah I'm thinking that too, cross-gen for launch - Early 2021 and then drop support for Xbox One past E3 2021.

Though I can't see Fable IV releasing until Holiday 2022 at the earliest and IIRC Morgoth stated that most of The Coalition is still on Gears 5, with 2 small concept teams on Gears 6 and Perfect Dark? I hope The Coalition gets 3 years of development this time around for Gears cause I believe Gears 5 while 3 years after was still only 2 years of development.

I'm curious what their big titles will be for Holiday 2021.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 14 January 2020

Ryuu96 said:
trunkswd said:

At launch being cross gen makes sense, as well as through the first half of 2021. Holiday 2021 should have one big exclusive. Gears 6 or Fable 4. 

Yeah I'm thinking that too, cross-gen for launch - Early 2021 and then drop support for Xbox One past E3 2021.

Though I can't see Fable IV releasing until Holiday 2022 at the earliest and IIRC Morgoth stated that most of The Coalition is still on Gears 5, with 2 small concept teams on Gears 6 and Perfect Dark? I hope The Coalition gets 3 years of development this time around for Gears cause I believe Gears 5 while 3 years after was still only 2 years of development.

I'm curious what their big titles will be for Holiday 2021.

It could also be a new IP as the big title. 360 had Gears 1 in 2006, a year after launch. 

I do agree the extra year if development for Gears 6 would be a good idea. I'm not sure I'd care for a new Perfect Dark game. I didn't enjoy the original or Zero. 

With 15 developers and 30+ teams working on games, Microsoft should be able to keep up releasing 6+ games per year. 



VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo

I stream on Twitch and have my own Youtube

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features

I also post daily news on the Video Game Industry.

If you want to contact me, send me a PM on here or tweet me @TrunksWD

trunkswd said:
Ryuu96 said:

Yeah I'm thinking that too, cross-gen for launch - Early 2021 and then drop support for Xbox One past E3 2021.

Though I can't see Fable IV releasing until Holiday 2022 at the earliest and IIRC Morgoth stated that most of The Coalition is still on Gears 5, with 2 small concept teams on Gears 6 and Perfect Dark? I hope The Coalition gets 3 years of development this time around for Gears cause I believe Gears 5 while 3 years after was still only 2 years of development.

I'm curious what their big titles will be for Holiday 2021.

It could also be a new IP as the big title. 360 had Gears 1 in 2006, a year after launch. 

I do agree the extra year if development for Gears 6 would be a good idea. I'm not sure I'd care for a new Perfect Dark game. I didn't enjoy the original or Zero. 

With 15 developers and 30+ teams working on games, Microsoft should be able to keep up releasing 6+ games per year. 

Maybe Obsidian's RPG? Phil mentioned in an interview with Major Nelson about what "the rest of Obsidian" is working on, we know 70ish are on Outer Worlds (Though that number might be lower with it released now) and 15ish on Grounded which leaves 115 employees working on something else, which is very likely their AAA 'Skyrim/Pillars' RPG which was leaked back in 2018.

It might be a bit tight but Obsidian are a really efficient studio and RPGs are their thing so who knows.