Quantcast
Next Gen has arrived, PC gamer also need an upgrade. Xbox Series X specs will be the minimum requirement for next 7 years

Forums - PC Discussion - Next Gen has arrived, PC gamer also need an upgrade. Xbox Series X specs will be the minimum requirement for next 7 years

HollyGamer said:
Pemalite said:

Who said there will be stuttering? Storage doesn't start or end with SSD's on the PC, there are other options.

System requirements are just a guideline.
You can most of those games on older hardware. I.E. Whatever the GTX 660 will run the older GTX 580 will run for example.

Heck, hows about we throw a GPU that is 3~ years OLDER than the Xbox One and Playstation 4 (Geforce GTX 480 is now 9~ years old!) and throw The Witcher 3 at it?


This video prove it that stuttering exist on HDD on top of super slow loading time, Alex explained very detailed 

You have an inability to read lately, you really do need to work on that.

I will quote myself so you can't miss it:

Pemalite said:

Storage doesn't start or end with SSD's on the PC, there are other options.

In-fact, SSD's aren't even the fastest type of storage on PC. - Need me to educate you?





--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network
Pemalite said:
HollyGamer said:

This video prove it that stuttering exist on HDD on top of super slow loading time, Alex explained very detailed 

You have an inability to read lately, you really do need to work on that.

I will quote myself so you can't miss it:

Pemalite said:

Storage doesn't start or end with SSD's on the PC, there are other options.

In-fact, SSD's aren't even the fastest type of storage on PC. - Need me to educate you?



Please educate me, a better storage solution then SSD that cost the same with SSD on normal gaming PC not on corporate level ?  



HollyGamer said:
Pemalite said:

You have an inability to read lately, you really do need to work on that.

I will quote myself so you can't miss it:

In-fact, SSD's aren't even the fastest type of storage on PC. - Need me to educate you?



Please educate me, a better storage solution then SSD that cost the same with SSD on normal gaming PC not on corporate level ?  

I never said anything about cost, so don't shift the goal post. - But if you must know... It's a storage solution that can be used on every PC to some extent, so it's essentially free.

And it would be entirely consumer grade.

It's called a "Ram Drive".



https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAM_drive

I will be upgrading to 128GB of Ram in my next rig. And I will be using it as a Ram drive whilst retaining mass storage with mechanical disks, it will absolutely obliterate the SSD in any rig or console for years to come.

There are also expansion cards which allows you to load up a PCI-E card with Ram to do a similar thing if that tickles your fancy.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000EPM9NC/?tag=tec06d-20
And:
https://www.amazon.com/ACARD-ANS-9010BA-Dynamic-Modules-Included/dp/B00VMS9ER4

This is one of the benefits of not being constrained by a consoles tiny amount of Ram.



--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:
HollyGamer said:

Please educate me, a better storage solution then SSD that cost the same with SSD on normal gaming PC not on corporate level ?  

I never said anything about cost, so don't shift the goal post. - But if you must know... It's a storage solution that can be used on every PC to some extent, so it's essentially free.

And it would be entirely consumer grade.

It's called a "Ram Drive".



https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAM_drive

I will be upgrading to 128GB of Ram in my next rig. And I will be using it as a Ram drive whilst retaining mass storage with mechanical disks, it will absolutely obliterate the SSD in any rig or console for years to come.

There are also expansion cards which allows you to load up a PCI-E card with Ram to do a similar thing if that tickles your fancy.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000EPM9NC/?tag=tec06d-20
And:
https://www.amazon.com/ACARD-ANS-9010BA-Dynamic-Modules-Included/dp/B00VMS9ER4

This is one of the benefits of not being constrained by a consoles tiny amount of Ram.

OK then it's great , so you are suggesting PC using RAM drive as requirement now??? OK cool 



Conina said:
goopy20 said:

Ok, fine. AC Unity came out in 2014 and already skipped last gen consoles. It also caused quite a stir among pc gamers because of the "crazy" pc requirements at that time...

Assassin’s Creed Unity’s crazy minimum PC specs: $500 GPU, $200 CPU, 50GB storage

https://www.extremetech.com/gaming/192849-assassins-creed-unitys-crazy-minimum-pc-specs-500-gpu-200-cpu-50gb-storage

It also cause quite a stir among console gamers with slowdowns to 20 fps, 900p resolution on the then new PS4 and Xbox One and many many bugs: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-assassins-creed-unity-performance-analysis

AC Unity is a very bad example... and I'm sure you know that.

Sure, it was a poorly optimized game but that is besides the point. The point is that a year after the ps4/Xone launched, we were already seeing AAA games come out that skipped last gen consoles. And in 2015 almost all major franchises skipped ps3/360 like: Battlefront, Batman AK, Fallout 4, Witcher 3, Bloodborne,  Project Cars, Just Cause 3. Wolfenstein Old Blood, Evolve, Mortal Kombat X etc.

The fact remains that in 2015 people had to upgrade their GTX460 and 560 GPU's (which were still pretty common) if they wanted to play all the major AAA titles at similar graphics settings as the ps4/Xone versions. Like I said, same thing will happen next gen and the only thing we don't know is to what kind of GPU/CPU we will need to upgrade. Personally, a RTX2080 sounds like a bit of a stretch as that's a $1000 gpu and will probably be on par with a RTX3070 or RTX4060. Just like a GTX580 from 2010 is pretty much equal to a GTX1060 that came out 6 years later... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vPgsTldoI0   

Last edited by goopy20 - on 17 December 2019

Around the Network

Eh, I'll be fine. I'm getting a new laptop every 2-3 years anyway. My GTX 1070 should be more than enough to keep me going until laptops with RTX 3000 come out or something. So I'm really not too worried. Plus my RAM laughs about the new consoles. With 32 GB of system memory and 8 Gigs of VRAM, I'm very well prepared for games of the next gen. And I switched to SSD only a year ago already.

I don't think PC gamers with a somewhat recent rig need to upgrade until 2022 or something, unless you really want to always put all the sliders to the far right. But then again, console games never run at max settings, which won't change with next-gen, so there's that.



Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

Also, minimum specs and minimum specs are not always the same stuff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgfPi7hFwwM

At the end of the video, you can see some benches of Rise of the Tomb Raider where it runs at 34FPS on a GTX 460 in Ultra settings... while the minimum requirement states a 650 is needed. The 650 is about as powerful as the 460, which means in turn that the minimum requirement of this game is actually to play the game at Ultra settings with 30FPS in 1080p and not a low preset 720p with 30ish FPS.

Like I said in another thread with the same theme, I managed to run a couple games on my old Radeon HD 5770 which listed an 7770 or even R7 280 as minimum settings. They don't always mean it doesn't run at anything lower, just that you can't run them in the best settings anymore.

Last edited by Bofferbrauer2 - on 17 December 2019

Bofferbrauer2 said:

Also, minimum specs and minimum specs are not always the same stuff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgfPi7hFwwM

At the end of the video, you can see some benches of Rise of the Tomb Raider where it runs at 34FPS on a GTX 460 in Ultra settings... while the minimum requirement states a 650 is needed. The 650 is about as powerful as the 460, which means in turn that the minimum requirement of this game is actually to play the game at Ultra settings with 30FPS in 1080p and not a low preset 720p with 30ish FPS.

Like I said in another thread with the same theme, I managed to run a couple games on my old Radeon HD 5770 which listed an 7770 or even R7 280 as minimum settings. They don't always mean it doesn't run at anything lower, just that you can't run them in the best settings anymore.

True, you can play a lot of games on lower than the recommended settings. Rise of the tombraider also came out on 360, so I can understand that gives it some headroom. Nobody can force anyone to upgrade their pc and it all depends on what games you're into. However, pc gamers usually upgrade when games start coming out that just don't run well anymore. That's why hardly anyone uses anything lower than a GTX660 these days. You might be able to run anything fine until something like GTA6 comes along, that doesn't, and people will be looking to upgrade asap. 

I also believe these next gen consoles will be a disaster for Nvidia who are selling their "mid-range" gpu's way to expensive. When people were upgrading for current gen they could get a GTX660 that costed $199 at launch or even a 750ti for $125. If you look now the RTX2060 is still $399. And if these next gen consoles really are on par with a RTX2080, it means the gpu will probably sit somewhere between a RTX3060 and RTX3070, which will probably cost between $400/600 or more at launch. 



goopy20 said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

Also, minimum specs and minimum specs are not always the same stuff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgfPi7hFwwM

At the end of the video, you can see some benches of Rise of the Tomb Raider where it runs at 34FPS on a GTX 460 in Ultra settings... while the minimum requirement states a 650 is needed. The 650 is about as powerful as the 460, which means in turn that the minimum requirement of this game is actually to play the game at Ultra settings with 30FPS in 1080p and not a low preset 720p with 30ish FPS.

Like I said in another thread with the same theme, I managed to run a couple games on my old Radeon HD 5770 which listed an 7770 or even R7 280 as minimum settings. They don't always mean it doesn't run at anything lower, just that you can't run them in the best settings anymore.

True, you can play a lot of games on lower than the recommended settings. Rise of the tombraider also came out on 360, so I can understand that gives it some headroom. Nobody can force anyone to upgrade their pc and it all depends on what games you're into. However, pc gamers usually upgrade when games start coming out that just don't run well anymore. That's why hardly anyone uses anything lower than a GTX660 these days. You might be able to run anything fine until something like GTA6 comes along, that doesn't, and people will be looking to upgrade asap. 

I also believe these next gen consoles will be a disaster for Nvidia who are selling their "mid-range" gpu's way to expensive. When people were upgrading for current gen they could get a GTX660 that costed $199 at launch or even a 750ti for $125. If you look now the RTX2060 is still $399. And if these next gen consoles really are on par with a RTX2080, it means the gpu will probably sit somewhere between a RTX3060 and RTX3070, which will probably cost between $400/600 or more at launch. 

It's not about the recommended settings (which are higher than the posted ones), this is playing below the minimum settings as they don't always mean much. 



Pemalite said:
ArchangelMadzz said:

Yeah I love having an SSD and I think the SSD will make console load times better than PC load times. Because the file directory will be optimised for SSD's whereas PC versions still need to take HDD's in mind. 

Nah.

Besides. PC's have faster SSD setups than consoles will ever have... Remember there is no cost or size limitations with the PC.

But games have to be optimised for those SSD's. SSD's load faster because of the faster technology.

But the data sizes are large because  certain information is doubled, tripled, quadrupled etc so that Hard drives don't have to search through the entire file directory to load assets. This will still be the case for PC versions of games as you cannot guarantee that a PC user will have an SSD. Unless there is a HDD download version and an SSD version. 

With the new consoles you can guarantee that they will have an SSD so the file directories will be streamlined much more. Basically what I'm saying is that the same exact SSD on console should in theory load games build for next gen, faster than the same SSD in a PC. 



PS4 and PC gaming

 

PC Specs:
AMD Ryzen 9 3900x
Zotac Nvidia RTX 2070 Super
32GB DDR4 Corsair Vengence Ram 3200 mhz
1TB Samsung Qvo SSD
Corsair Spec-Delta Case
Asus ROG B450-F Motherboard