Quantcast
VGChartz Gap Charts October 2019 Discussion Thread

Forums - Sales Discussion - VGChartz Gap Charts October 2019 Discussion Thread

You can read the complete Article #6 and Analysis here:

Switch vs Xbox One – VGChartz Gap Charts – October 2019

Switch Vs. Xbox One Global:

Gap change in latest month: 1,099,911 – Switch

Gap change over last 12 months: 13,546,904 - Switch

Total Lead: 2,899,462 – Xbox One

Switch Total Sales: 40,736,064

Xbox One Total Sales: 43,635,526



VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo

I stream on Twitch and have my own Youtube

Writer of the Gap Charts | VS Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare | USA Preorders Features

I also post daily news on the Video Game Industry.

If you want to contact me, send me a PM on here or tweet me @TrunksWD

Around the Network
trunkswd said:

You can read the complete Article #5 and Analysis here:

Switch vs PS4 – VGChartz Gap Charts – October 2019

Switch Vs. PS4 Global:

Gap change in latest month: 330,761 – Switch

Gap change over last 12 months: 1,794,077 – Switch

Total Lead: 641,721 – PS4

Switch Total Sales: 40,736,064

PS4 Total Sales: 41,377,785

These graphs are very interesting with each of the consoles passing each other as holiday seasons come for each of them. So far at the points where the comparison is the fairest (12 months and 24 months in) the Switch has been ahead and it should continue for 36 months as well.

trunkswd said:

You can read the complete Article #6 and Analysis here:

Switch vs Xbox One – VGChartz Gap Charts – October 2019

Switch Vs. Xbox One Global:

Gap change in latest month: 1,099,911 – Switch

Gap change over last 12 months: 13,546,904 - Switch

Total Lead: 2,899,462 – Xbox One

Switch Total Sales: 40,736,064

Xbox One Total Sales: 43,635,526

Do you do a launch align graph for this one? Or would it be just cruel?



Signature goes here!

TruckOSaurus said:
trunkswd said:

You can read the complete Article #5 and Analysis here:

Switch vs PS4 – VGChartz Gap Charts – October 2019

Switch Vs. PS4 Global:

Gap change in latest month: 330,761 – Switch

Gap change over last 12 months: 1,794,077 – Switch

Total Lead: 641,721 – PS4

Switch Total Sales: 40,736,064

PS4 Total Sales: 41,377,785

These graphs are very interesting with each of the consoles passing each other as holiday seasons come for each of them. So far at the points where the comparison is the fairest (12 months and 24 months in) the Switch has been ahead and it should continue for 36 months as well.

trunkswd said:

You can read the complete Article #6 and Analysis here:

Switch vs Xbox One – VGChartz Gap Charts – October 2019

Switch Vs. Xbox One Global:

Gap change in latest month: 1,099,911 – Switch

Gap change over last 12 months: 13,546,904 - Switch

Total Lead: 2,899,462 – Xbox One

Switch Total Sales: 40,736,064

Xbox One Total Sales: 43,635,526

Do you do a launch align graph for this one? Or would it be just cruel?

No point in doing a launch align for Switch vs Xbox One. Especially with the Switch about to surpass the Xbox One lifetime sales.

Other interesting records are the Switch surpassing the SNES soon and the PS4 about to surpass the PS1.  No way to do graphs with those as we don't have weekly or monthly worldwide sales for them. 



VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo

I stream on Twitch and have my own Youtube

Writer of the Gap Charts | VS Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare | USA Preorders Features

I also post daily news on the Video Game Industry.

If you want to contact me, send me a PM on here or tweet me @TrunksWD

trunkswd said:

You can read the complete Article #6 and Analysis here:

Switch vs Xbox One – VGChartz Gap Charts – October 2019

Switch Vs. Xbox One Global:

Gap change in latest month: 1,099,911 – Switch

Gap change over last 12 months: 13,546,904 - Switch

Total Lead: 2,899,462 – Xbox One

Switch Total Sales: 40,736,064

Xbox One Total Sales: 43,635,526

Whoa @ the gap closing by over a million in October alone.

So unless my maths is off, Xbone has sold about 15 million systems since the Switch launched, during which time Switch has sold 41 million. So almost a 3:1 ratio on average.

And that's despite Xbone having better graphics, all the big AAA multiplats, mutlimedia support, all the things people said that the lack of would cripple the Switch.



curl-6 said:

Whoa @ the gap closing by over a million in October alone.

So unless my maths is off, Xbone has sold about 15 million systems since the Switch launched, during which time Switch has sold 41 million. So almost a 3:1 ratio on average.

And that's despite Xbone having better graphics, all the big AAA multiplats, mutlimedia support, all the things people said that the lack of would cripple the Switch.

That will be the story in the coming years. Switch's predicted outcomes will have moved from the console that will make Nintendo go third party to the console that will become the best-selling one of all time.



Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Gamers Club

Around the Network

You can read the complete Article #7 and Analysis here:

Switch vs 3DS and Wii U – VGChartz Gap Charts – October 2019

Switch Vs. 3DS and Wii U Global:

Gap change in latest month: 497,401 – 3DS and Wii U

Gap change over last 12 months: 2,040,880 – Switch

Total Lead: 3,177,933 – 3DS and Wii U

Switch Total Sales: 40,736,064



VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo

I stream on Twitch and have my own Youtube

Writer of the Gap Charts | VS Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare | USA Preorders Features

I also post daily news on the Video Game Industry.

If you want to contact me, send me a PM on here or tweet me @TrunksWD

trunkswd said:

You can read the complete Article #7 and Analysis here:

Switch vs 3DS and Wii U – VGChartz Gap Charts – October 2019

Switch Vs. 3DS and Wii U Global:

Gap change in latest month: 497,401 – 3DS and Wii U

Gap change over last 12 months: 2,040,880 – Switch

Total Lead: 3,177,933 – 3DS and Wii U

Switch Total Sales: 40,736,064

Switch was actually performing its worst exactly 12 months ago (comparison wise) which was month 20.  Then it gained a lot of ground during months 21 and 22.  Now go back 24 months to month 8.  Switch lost ground 2 years ago going into the holidays (months 9 and 10).

This is because the 3DS was extremely front loaded.  It got a huge price cut in less than a year's time.  So while 3DS + Wii U seems like it's doing better against Switch, it's only because, combined, they shot ahead quickly.  Switch gained ground 12 months ago and it's total should even shoot ahead of 3DS + Wii U after this holiday season.  

In reality Switch has a very different sales curve than 3DS + Wii U, and that is because it is appealing to a much wider audience.  Switch sales are still accelerating, while 3DS + Wii U is decelerating during the corresponding point in time.  12 months from now that Gap Chart is going to look extremely different and this time in Switch's favor.



The_Liquid_Laser said:

Switch was actually performing its worst exactly 12 months ago (comparison wise) which was month 20.  Then it gained a lot of ground during months 21 and 22.  Now go back 24 months to month 8.  Switch lost ground 2 years ago going into the holidays (months 9 and 10).

This is because the 3DS was extremely front loaded.  It got a huge price cut in less than a year's time.  So while 3DS + Wii U seems like it's doing better against Switch, it's only because, combined, they shot ahead quickly.  Switch gained ground 12 months ago and it's total should even shoot ahead of 3DS + Wii U after this holiday season.  

In reality Switch has a very different sales curve than 3DS + Wii U, and that is because it is appealing to a much wider audience.  Switch sales are still accelerating, while 3DS + Wii U is decelerating during the corresponding point in time.  12 months from now that Gap Chart is going to look extremely different and this time in Switch's favor.

I do agree with this. The Switch in November and December is going to take the lead and never look back. The Switch is already roughly at half lifetime sales of the 3DS + Wii U.



VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo

I stream on Twitch and have my own Youtube

Writer of the Gap Charts | VS Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare | USA Preorders Features

I also post daily news on the Video Game Industry.

If you want to contact me, send me a PM on here or tweet me @TrunksWD

Yeah Wii U won't contribute much from this point on, and unless I'm mistaken 3DS is nearing the end of its peak.
These coming holidays should close the gap quite a bit.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 22 November 2019

You can read the complete Article #8 and Analysis here:

PS4 vs Wii – VGChartz Gap Charts – October 2019

PlayStation 4 Vs. Wii Global:

Gap change in latest month: 675,306 – PS4

Gap change over last 12 months: 8,174,122 – PS4

Total Lead: 4,752,845 – PS4

PlayStation 4 Total Sales: 101,342,408

Wii Total Sales: 96,589,563



VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo

I stream on Twitch and have my own Youtube

Writer of the Gap Charts | VS Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare | USA Preorders Features

I also post daily news on the Video Game Industry.

If you want to contact me, send me a PM on here or tweet me @TrunksWD