Quantcast
Famitsu Sales: W44, 2019 (Oct 28 - Nov 03)

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu Sales: W44, 2019 (Oct 28 - Nov 03)

So, Ring Fit Adventure is following the trajectory we saw with many casual / mass market games during the Wii/DS era: Relatively slow start but strong sales for weeks afterwards due to word of mouth. According to Iwata back then, the casual games mostly started selling hardware around 6 weeks after their release if I remember correctly. That means Ring Fit Adventure could boost Switch hardware sales during the all-important holiday period.

And, as I've been saying since the Switch launched: Men aged 20 to 30 are not a big enough demographic to target. Nintendo needs children, women and older customers on board. That's why we are seeing Pokémon, Ring Fit, Brain Training and the Switch Lite being pushed by Nintendo so much. Only by catering to the mass market can the Switch sell in abundance of 100m units lifetime. And the Switch has the potential to do DS numbers. Nintendo just needs to play their cards right and make this an attractive device for mass market consumers.



Around the Network
curl-6 said:

PS5 will have its work cut out for it, but I don't think it's predetermined that it will perform poorly in Japan.

It'll still get most of the the big Japanese games to itself regardless of whether it makes sense to do so. Switch could sell 5 times as much as PS5 and devs like Capcom would still favour PS5.

I don't know.  Do you really think the next Monster Hunter will be a PS5 exclusive?  I think it will either be Switch exclusive or a multi-plat with Switch getting a version.  Monster Hunter is still one of the most important franchises to Japan.  I can't see them leaving it off the Switch.



The_Liquid_Laser said:
curl-6 said:

PS5 will have its work cut out for it, but I don't think it's predetermined that it will perform poorly in Japan.

It'll still get most of the the big Japanese games to itself regardless of whether it makes sense to do so. Switch could sell 5 times as much as PS5 and devs like Capcom would still favour PS5.

I don't know.  Do you really think the next Monster Hunter will be a PS5 exclusive?  I think it will either be Switch exclusive or a multi-plat with Switch getting a version.  Monster Hunter is still one of the most important franchises to Japan.  I can't see them leaving it off the Switch.

I am having a harder time believing that because Capcom has shown little to no sign of putting anything on Switch besides ports. Mega Man 11 appears to be one of the very few exceptions. Heck, Ono said to ask Nintendo for more Street Fighter games. Didn't we ask with our wallets when we bought Ultra Street Fighter II and the 30th Anniversary Collection?

Even Konami has released more original games on Switch than Capcom has, even if the latest Contra and Super Bomberman R were not world beaters.

I think Capcom is the most disappointing third party developer on Switch. Sure, they have ported a ton of games. However, some of the ports were not the best of ports as we would have liked/hoped (no IR aiming/motion controls for RE4, a bit of a half-assed first person mode for USFII, etc.). Plus, unlike Square and Sega, I would have thought Capcom would have been more invested on Switch and at least treat it like the 3DS. Small projects like a new Ace Attorney would have been cool.



Replicant said:
SwitchUP said:

Well said. And 100% true. The ps5 will be doa in Japan.

 Not even a blip on the radar. It's all switch, all the time there. Sony can't challenge their dominance there. Now, Nintendo needs to get their ass in gear in the UK to challenge Sony there to make a real run at the title. 

Yup. I actually expect PS5 to be the first console ever to sell negative numbers in Japan. What I'm saying is that I think Japanese gamers will import PS5 from South Korea and return it in Japan just to show Sony how DOA it is.

I'm sorry my comment hurt you that deeply. It was not my intention. 



Just an old man, a family man, and a gamer. My family is more important to me then life itself. 

Agente42 said:
Agente42 said:

Man, DQ 12 not  Sony proprietary. Neither Final Fantasy or Monster Hunter. Sony don't have one real exclusive japanese centric game. Capcom fours years to develop Monster Hunter for consoles. 

DQ 12 will be Switch exclusivity. The worse situation, Switch/Ps4. 

Now, I may be wrong here, but I swear there were people saying that the switch was screwed when monster hunter went to the other consoles. So much for that narrative. 



Just an old man, a family man, and a gamer. My family is more important to me then life itself. 

Around the Network

Just notice on amazon.jp. Toy-Con Variety and Robot resurges to #5 and #10, converting it's aprox $25 and $15 respectively, clearing the stock all the way... $40 for both are a steal!!



Edit: RFA still out of stock!!



SwitchUP said:
Agente42 said:

Man, DQ 12 not  Sony proprietary. Neither Final Fantasy or Monster Hunter. Sony don't have one real exclusive japanese centric game. Capcom fours years to develop Monster Hunter for consoles. 

DQ 12 will be Switch exclusivity. The worse situation, Switch/Ps4. 

Now, I may be wrong here, but I swear there were people saying that the switch was screwed when monster hunter went to the other consoles. So much for that narrative. 

Dragon quest XII, worst-case scenario, multiplatform Switch/Ps4/PC. Usually, Dragon Quest is released on the most successful console in the Japanese market. Dragon Quest XI was the exception because Horii wanted to launch on a desktop console. Then he had to make all this mess of two versions to cover the costs of the game



nero said:

Edit: RFA still out of stock!!

It's pretty insane seeing RFA perform well like this. Its not Wii Fit in terms of sales success, but its impressive considering games like these often do not do as well anymore post-Wii/DS era.



Kai_Mao said:
nero said:

Edit: RFA still out of stock!!

It's pretty insane seeing RFA perform well like this. Its not Wii Fit in terms of sales success, but its impressive considering games like these often do not do as well anymore post-Wii/DS era.

What games like these?