Quantcast
Famitsu Sales: W44, 2019 (Oct 28 - Nov 03)

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu Sales: W44, 2019 (Oct 28 - Nov 03)

wombat123 said:
curl-6 said:

Have you not seen how ridiculously half-arsed Crapcom's Switch support has been and continues to be? The Switch has already outsold PS4 in Japan, and is selling on par with PS4 (launch aligned) globally, and all they've bothered to release on it is reheated leftovers from last gen.

2020 is do-or-die for major Japanese 3rd party support.  I said 2019 a while back but I'm giving 3rd parties another year.  If Nintendo gets nothing next year then I say Nintendo should just symbolically tell Capcom to fuck off by making their own version of Monster Hunter.  Hell, even if Capcom does make a Switch exclusive Monster Hunter, Nintendo should still make their own Monster Hunter-like franchise due to how absolutely fickle Capcom tends to be.

It's such a weird situation..

I just find it hard to believe that Capcom would commit more to the Switch beyond tests..I mean ports..at this point!

After finding success with the 3DS with Monster Hunter, Resident Evil, Ace Attorney, and even Street Fighter IV (can't you bring that on Switch?), why are we still at a "testing" phase? What are the sales numbers telling Capcom at this time? I don't expect Resident Evil 7 (probably hard to port), Street Fighter V (probably due to the business aspects of the game and Sony being involved), or even Devil May Cry 5 (probably hard to port as well). However, Ace Attorney and Monster Hunter are prime series that can find success on Switch, exclusive or multi-platform.

Hell, even Atlus has been kinda weird when it comes to Switch. Besides SMTV (which we haven't seen much of yet), Persona 5 Scramble, and TMS #FE Encore, they don't seem to be as committed to Switch as they were to 3DS, which received a buttload of SMT games, Etrian Odyssey games, and a couple of Persona Q games.

Last edited by Kai_Mao - on 08 November 2019

Around the Network
Kai_Mao said:
wombat123 said:

2020 is do-or-die for major Japanese 3rd party support.  I said 2019 a while back but I'm giving 3rd parties another year.  If Nintendo gets nothing next year then I say Nintendo should just symbolically tell Capcom to fuck off by making their own version of Monster Hunter.  Hell, even if Capcom does make a Switch exclusive Monster Hunter, Nintendo should still make their own Monster Hunter-like franchise due to how absolutely fickle Capcom tends to be.

It's such a weird situation..

I just find it hard to believe that Capcom would commit more to the Switch beyond tests..I mean ports..at this point!

After finding success with the 3DS with Monster Hunter, Resident Evil, Ace Attorney, and even Street Fighter IV (can't you bring that on Switch?), why are we still at a "testing" phase? What are the sales numbers telling Capcom at this time? I don't expect Resident Evil 7 (probably hard to port), Street Fighter V (probably due to the business aspects of the game and Sony being involved), or even Devil May Cry 5 (probably hard to port as well). However, Ace Attorney and Monster Hunter are prime series that can find success on Switch, exclusive or multi-platform.

Hell, even Atlus has been kinda weird when it comes to Switch. Besides SMTV (which we haven't seen much of yet), Persona 5 Scramble, and TMS #FE Encore, they don't seem to be as committed to Switch as they were to 3DS, which received a buttload of SMT games, Etrian Odyssey games, and a couple of Persona Q games.

That's the thing, it wouldn't even be difficult to bring RE7 over. Switch has already gotten ports of several games more demanding than RE7, and there are multiple studios with experience porting PS4/Xbone games to Switch who could do it for them; Panic Button, QLOC, Viruos, Saber...

Last edited by curl-6 - on 08 November 2019

curl-6 said:
Kai_Mao said:

It's such a weird situation..

I just find it hard to believe that Capcom would commit more to the Switch beyond tests..I mean ports..at this point!

After finding success with the 3DS with Monster Hunter, Resident Evil, Ace Attorney, and even Street Fighter IV (can't you bring that on Switch?), why are we still at a "testing" phase? What are the sales numbers telling Capcom at this time? I don't expect Resident Evil 7 (probably hard to port), Street Fighter V (probably due to the business aspects of the game and Sony being involved), or even Devil May Cry 5 (probably hard to port as well). However, Ace Attorney and Monster Hunter are prime series that can find success on Switch, exclusive or multi-platform.

Hell, even Atlus has been kinda weird when it comes to Switch. Besides SMTV (which we haven't seen much of yet), Persona 5 Scramble, and TMS #FE Encore, they don't seem to be as committed to Switch as they were to 3DS, which received a buttload of SMT games, Etrian Odyssey games, and a couple of Persona Q games.

That's the thing, it wouldn't even be difficult to bring RE7 over. Switch has already gotten ports of several games more demanding than RE7, and there are multiple studios with experience porting PS4/Xbone games to Switch who could do it for them; Panic Button, QLOC, Viruos, Saber...

And Monster Hunter World too. Virtuos said to Capcom.



curl-6 said:
Kai_Mao said:

It's such a weird situation..

I just find it hard to believe that Capcom would commit more to the Switch beyond tests..I mean ports..at this point!

After finding success with the 3DS with Monster Hunter, Resident Evil, Ace Attorney, and even Street Fighter IV (can't you bring that on Switch?), why are we still at a "testing" phase? What are the sales numbers telling Capcom at this time? I don't expect Resident Evil 7 (probably hard to port), Street Fighter V (probably due to the business aspects of the game and Sony being involved), or even Devil May Cry 5 (probably hard to port as well). However, Ace Attorney and Monster Hunter are prime series that can find success on Switch, exclusive or multi-platform.

Hell, even Atlus has been kinda weird when it comes to Switch. Besides SMTV (which we haven't seen much of yet), Persona 5 Scramble, and TMS #FE Encore, they don't seem to be as committed to Switch as they were to 3DS, which received a buttload of SMT games, Etrian Odyssey games, and a couple of Persona Q games.

That's the thing, it wouldn't even be difficult to bring RE7 over. Switch has already gotten ports of several games more demanding than RE7, and there are multiple studios with experience porting PS4/Xbone games to Switch who could do it for them; Panic Button, QLOC, Viruos, Saber...

The thing is RE7 is already on the Switch in Japan.

While it is a cloud version, the game is available and Capcom probably considers their work already done.



German YouTuber and Streamer:
StarCraft and Fallout 4 currently.

Me trying to write reviews:
Octopath Traveler

Amazon thread

curl-6 said:
Kai_Mao said:

It's such a weird situation..

I just find it hard to believe that Capcom would commit more to the Switch beyond tests..I mean ports..at this point!

After finding success with the 3DS with Monster Hunter, Resident Evil, Ace Attorney, and even Street Fighter IV (can't you bring that on Switch?), why are we still at a "testing" phase? What are the sales numbers telling Capcom at this time? I don't expect Resident Evil 7 (probably hard to port), Street Fighter V (probably due to the business aspects of the game and Sony being involved), or even Devil May Cry 5 (probably hard to port as well). However, Ace Attorney and Monster Hunter are prime series that can find success on Switch, exclusive or multi-platform.

Hell, even Atlus has been kinda weird when it comes to Switch. Besides SMTV (which we haven't seen much of yet), Persona 5 Scramble, and TMS #FE Encore, they don't seem to be as committed to Switch as they were to 3DS, which received a buttload of SMT games, Etrian Odyssey games, and a couple of Persona Q games.

That's the thing, it wouldn't even be difficult to bring RE7 over. Switch has already gotten ports of several games more demanding than RE7, and there are multiple studios with experience porting PS4/Xbone games to Switch who could do it for them; Panic Button, QLOC, Viruos, Saber...

Well, getting ports more demanding than RE7 doesn't mean it wasn't necessarily a difficult process. Each publisher needs to decide if it's worth it to them on a game to game basis.
However I do agree that RE7 seems like it would be on the easier end of the spectrum when it comes to porting to Switch, because it is already designed to be played with lower fidelity, in VR mode. Much of the work to make everything function seems to already be done.

I guess they're happy just using it to test the streaming service in Japan for some odd reason.
I'm also surprised there's no new Switch specific Monster Hunter announced yet. They seemed to really drop the ball with that one.

Last edited by Hiku - on 09 November 2019

Around the Network

Persona did really well! But I understand why some fans are upset at Atlus. The game is too expensive for what it is.



youngbr said:
Persona did really well! But I understand why some fans are upset at Atlus. The game is too expensive for what it is.

Yeah, thinking about it, what's with the  8.8K yen  pricetag ?

Wasn't OG Persona 5 cheaper at release too ? Kind of mind-blowing they went for this strategy when it's simply a boosted re-release of the original which isn't that old to begin with ...



Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Hiku said:
curl-6 said:

That's the thing, it wouldn't even be difficult to bring RE7 over. Switch has already gotten ports of several games more demanding than RE7, and there are multiple studios with experience porting PS4/Xbone games to Switch who could do it for them; Panic Button, QLOC, Viruos, Saber...

Well, getting ports more demanding than RE7 doesn't mean it wasn't necessarily a difficult process. Each publisher needs to decide if it's worth it to them on a game to game basis.
However I do agree that RE7 seems like it would be on the easier end of the spectrum when it comes to porting to Switch, because it is already designed to be played with lower fidelity, in VR mode. Much of the work to make everything function seems to already be done.

I guess they're happy just using it to test the streaming service in Japan for some odd reason.
I'm also surprised there's no new Switch specific Monster Hunter announced yet. They seemed to really drop the ball with that one.

Given that the streaming version is only really viable in Japan, it seems a significant missed opportunity not to bring a regular, locally processed port to the entire world. 

And yeah, no bespoke Monster Hunter on Switch is a huge fail; even Generations Ultimate, a late 3DS port, sold over a million on Switch with ease. A proper new MH game on Switch would sell like hotcakes, it's absurd they haven't made one.

Their behaviour towards the Switch in general is just bizarre, they're treating it like it's another Wii U in spite of it selling as fast as PS4 worldwide and having already overtaken it in Japan.

Last edited by curl-6 - 6 days ago