Quantcast
Luigi's Mansion 3 thread: Impressions and Reviews

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Luigi's Mansion 3 thread: Impressions and Reviews

Man,

Spoiler!
Polterkitty is such a tedium. What an annoying drag in a game with great pacing so far.


Around the Network
Lonely_Dolphin said:
Chrkeller said:
I like the game thus far but wtf Nintendo with the "x" button? Wildly uncomfortable when using the right analog. Should have been mapped to R or L. Very odd decison.

Stop complaining, just enjoy product and get excited for next product.

I switched to turn while poltergusting just for this reason, makes scanning an area with the darklight much smoother.

The easiest solution is to use L and R at the same time.  My complaint is fixed.  



curl-6 said:

This game is a great example of why I think it's vitally important for Nintendo to secure external studios; despite a game using a Nintendo property it really has its own distinctive style and charm unique from EAD's games.

Baddman said:
Play about an hour last night. I plan to play more this weekend with the kids. I like it so far but I wish I could change how I could invert the controls.

If you mean aiming up/down, maybe using the gyro might work better, have you tried that?

I'm not a fan of motion controls. I don't understand how they could overlook something as basic as inverted controller options. as is I'm aiming all over the place as I'm not used to this



Chrkeller said:
Lonely_Dolphin said:

Stop complaining, just enjoy product and get excited for next product.

I switched to turn while poltergusting just for this reason, makes scanning an area with the darklight much smoother.

The easiest solution is to use L and R at the same time.  My complaint is fixed.  

Isn't L and R at the same the blast/jump move?

EDIT: Ah, I see. I hadn't even tried the bumpers yet despite playing for 3 hours haha

Last edited by curl-6 - on 02 November 2019

ZL and ZR is boost jump.



Around the Network
curl-6 said:
Lonely_Dolphin said:

Stop complaining, just enjoy product and get excited for next product.

I switched to turn while poltergusting just for this reason, makes scanning an area with the darklight much smoother.

I second this. I would recommend (except to those who hate any kind of motion controls) the following settings:

Turn while poltergustering: On

R stick aiming: Horizontal only

Gyro sensitivity: 3

I just changed my settings to these and the improvement to control is revelatory.

I'm actually shocked that the first setting in particular isn't set this way by default.

Thank You!

The default controls were unbearable for me. Played 2 hours at launch, and was not enjoying it at all due to the controls. I just set it up with what your suggestions, and it is actually playable now. Just put in another hour with these controls, and I'm really enjoying it.

Everything else is top notch so far. I just can't believe the default controls are so horrible.



Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

KBG29 said:
curl-6 said:

I second this. I would recommend (except to those who hate any kind of motion controls) the following settings:

Turn while poltergustering: On

R stick aiming: Horizontal only

Gyro sensitivity: 3

I just changed my settings to these and the improvement to control is revelatory.

I'm actually shocked that the first setting in particular isn't set this way by default.

Thank You!

The default controls were unbearable for me. Played 2 hours at launch, and was not enjoying it at all due to the controls. I just set it up with what your suggestions, and it is actually playable now. Just put in another hour with these controls, and I'm really enjoying it.

Everything else is top notch so far. I just can't believe the default controls are so horrible.

No worries, glad to have helped. :)

And yeah, like i said, it blows my mind that the controls are set as they are by default when the alternative is so much better. Not sure what they were thinking.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 02 November 2019

I love it. One of my favourite games in 2019 and my top Switch game next to BOTW.



Okay, the game is overall excellent, I have come across my first significant reservation.

I just beat the Piano ghost boss, and he was really, really fucking annoying. He wasn't hard per se, as he dropped enough health that I never died to him, but the process of beating him was just extremely irritating and just plain not fun.

First off, he does one of the worst video game boss tropes; that thing where he can only be  damaged in a very small window and in between those windows there's painfully long stretches where you have to dodge his attacks and wait for the next one. This really strained my patience and just felt like my time was being wasted.

Secondly, any fight that involve having to suck up an object then shoot it at the boss is an exercise in pure frustration, because the aiming for this is absolute garbage. Without an over-the-shoulder view or any adequate indication of where you're aiming, just trying to line up a shot is a nightmare. To makes matters worse, the stick sensitivity is way too high; the slightest nudge of the right stick had Luigi turning like 60 degrees when all I was trying to do was aim slightly to the left. 

I hope future fights don't focus on this mechanic so much, because it's a huge flaw in what is otherwise a superb game. I'm genuinely worried now that I may not finish the game, if a future boss fight is even worse than this I might genuinely give up on the whole game. Which would be a real shame.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 04 November 2019

Finished the game last night. Easily GotY 2019 for me. Loved the coop and creativity. Only minor complaint I had was the last boss was kind of a PITA.