Quantcast
The PS4 has become my favorite system of all time.

Forums - Sony Discussion - The PS4 has become my favorite system of all time.

It's definitely in contention for that spot. I'd have to really think about it, but It's definitely in my top 3 already.



Help put together VGChartz' favourite video game composers list by voting here:  http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241150

My Most Recent Articles:

1. Video Game Music Spotlight #11: Horror and Solitude

2. Live services, Roadmaps and Broken Promises

3. Video Game Music Spotlight #10: Best of the Dreamcast

For my non-video game related writings you can check my blog below.

Latest Post: Disney Canon: Dumbo (1941)

Around the Network

Its great. My favorite Sony system for sure.



xl-klaudkil said:
Vodacixi said:
Funny, despite being the Playstation where I played the most games, I think is the worst console of the four xD

Ps3 whas the worst of the 4

I would say they were close. But backwards compatiblity with PS1 and PS2 (at least the model I have), almost the entire PS1 catalogue on the store and enjoying new and veteran third party games more than their PS4 counterparts make me like PS3 a little more than PS4.



For me as well, thanks to PSVR, SotC remake, GT Sport, Horizon Zero Dawn, God of war, and many other great exclusives.



The_Liquid_Laser said:
xl-klaudkil said:

Ow? Ps3 whas the worst of the 4, why you think ps4 is the worst? Curious about it.

I also think the PS4 is the worst of the 4, and here is why.  I've been gaming a really, really long time.  The main reasons I play games (in this order) are 1) to have a totally original experience, 2) to have a good challenge and 3) to play local multiplayer with my family.  Playstation tends not to be good with #3, and games in general have gotten easier since the 8/16 bit era.  So, the main thing I look for in a Playstation console (and the most important to me) is to have a totally original experience.  Playstation 4 is the worst at that out of all of the Playstations.

Probably the best was the PS2.  Some new types of games I enjoyed on the PS2 were Kingdom Hearts, Katamari Damacy, Ico & Shadow of the Colossus, and Spider-Man 2.  When I played these games, they were nothing like anything that I had played before.  Also, my favorite franchise used to be Final Fantasy, and each new game in the series tends to be extremely different, so games like FF10, FF12, and Dragon Quest 8 also felt very new to me, even if they were technically just the next iteration in the franchise.  On the other hand the only games I've actually enjoyed on the PS4 were Uncharted 4, Spider-Man, and Dark Souls 3, and even then, these games felt very similar to previous entries in their series.

So, I understand that you are younger, and probably lots of games on the PS4 feel very new to you.  That is fine, because these are extremely fun games if you have never played them before.  And if you look at older consoles, then maybe the graphics look so dated that you wouldn't even consider playing them.  From my perspective, I don't even care about graphics anymore and I am more interested in gameplay and original experiences.  And currently game companies are very reluctant to make new experiences.  My favorite console (of all time) is actually the NES.  Most people probably couldn't appreciate the NES anymore, because the games seem so dated.  But Breath of the Wild uses the design principles of the original NES Zelda.  So when Breath of the Wild comes out a lot of people declare, "Wow, this is the greatest game ever made."  But I don't think that.  I think it's a great game, but only because they went back and made a game like they used to.

So, top studios today mostly do not try to innovate or take risks, and PS4 games are the epitome of that.  Instead they, at best, make modest improvements on what has come before.  But if you haven't played these games before, then I bet they are awesome.  I liked a lot of these games the first time I played them too.  But after a while the same types of games over and over seems stale.

Have you not tried PSVR? It's chock full of new ideas and originality.

Where can you still find good local multiplayer nowadays? Still stuck on Minecraft, Terraria and Mario Kart :/



Around the Network
SvennoJ said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

I also think the PS4 is the worst of the 4, and here is why.  I've been gaming a really, really long time.  The main reasons I play games (in this order) are 1) to have a totally original experience, 2) to have a good challenge and 3) to play local multiplayer with my family.  Playstation tends not to be good with #3, and games in general have gotten easier since the 8/16 bit era.  So, the main thing I look for in a Playstation console (and the most important to me) is to have a totally original experience.  Playstation 4 is the worst at that out of all of the Playstations.

Probably the best was the PS2.  Some new types of games I enjoyed on the PS2 were Kingdom Hearts, Katamari Damacy, Ico & Shadow of the Colossus, and Spider-Man 2.  When I played these games, they were nothing like anything that I had played before.  Also, my favorite franchise used to be Final Fantasy, and each new game in the series tends to be extremely different, so games like FF10, FF12, and Dragon Quest 8 also felt very new to me, even if they were technically just the next iteration in the franchise.  On the other hand the only games I've actually enjoyed on the PS4 were Uncharted 4, Spider-Man, and Dark Souls 3, and even then, these games felt very similar to previous entries in their series.

So, I understand that you are younger, and probably lots of games on the PS4 feel very new to you.  That is fine, because these are extremely fun games if you have never played them before.  And if you look at older consoles, then maybe the graphics look so dated that you wouldn't even consider playing them.  From my perspective, I don't even care about graphics anymore and I am more interested in gameplay and original experiences.  And currently game companies are very reluctant to make new experiences.  My favorite console (of all time) is actually the NES.  Most people probably couldn't appreciate the NES anymore, because the games seem so dated.  But Breath of the Wild uses the design principles of the original NES Zelda.  So when Breath of the Wild comes out a lot of people declare, "Wow, this is the greatest game ever made."  But I don't think that.  I think it's a great game, but only because they went back and made a game like they used to.

So, top studios today mostly do not try to innovate or take risks, and PS4 games are the epitome of that.  Instead they, at best, make modest improvements on what has come before.  But if you haven't played these games before, then I bet they are awesome.  I liked a lot of these games the first time I played them too.  But after a while the same types of games over and over seems stale.

Have you not tried PSVR? It's chock full of new ideas and originality.

Where can you still find good local multiplayer nowadays? Still stuck on Minecraft, Terraria and Mario Kart :/

Switch is great for local multiplayer.  My favorite local multiplayer is Puyo Puyo Tetris, but we also play a lot of Smash Ultimate, Mario Party and yes, Mario Kart.

I am not too big into VR overall.  I have seen plenty of attempts over the years, and the only game I ever liked was an Aladdin Magic Carpet game at Disney Quest.  It was cool mostly in that I could look over wife and what she was doing in RL ended up in the game.  We were both in the game at the same time.  I am not ready to shell out money for multiple headsets at this point, even assuming any of the PSVR games are as good as Disney Quest (doubtful).  Either the costs need to come down or the games need to get better.

For originality, I am more into indie games.  But 95% of the indie games I play have physical copies, and I prefer to get them on Switch. (carts + portability FTW!)



3DS was my favourite for a long time and today I'd say that PS4 is almost beating it.

If everything many say about PS5 is true, I think PS5 is gonna be the best of all time for me.



My Total Sales prediction for PS4 by the end of 2021: 110m+

When PS4 will hit 100m consoles sold: Before Christmas 2019

There were three ravens sat on a tree / They were as blacke as they might be / The one of them said to his mate, Where shall we our breakfast take?


The_Liquid_Laser said:

Switch is great for local multiplayer.  My favorite local multiplayer is Puyo Puyo Tetris, but we also play a lot of Smash Ultimate, Mario Party and yes, Mario Kart.

I am not too big into VR overall.  I have seen plenty of attempts over the years, and the only game I ever liked was an Aladdin Magic Carpet game at Disney Quest.  It was cool mostly in that I could look over wife and what she was doing in RL ended up in the game.  We were both in the game at the same time.  I am not ready to shell out money for multiple headsets at this point, even assuming any of the PSVR games are as good as Disney Quest (doubtful).  Either the costs need to come down or the games need to get better.

For originality, I am more into indie games.  But 95% of the indie games I play have physical copies, and I prefer to get them on Switch. (carts + portability FTW!)

You are missing out on a lot, but it's very possible the best ones will either be ported or backwards compatible next gen. Super hot, Beat Saber, Astrobot, Moss, Statik, that's where the innovation is. The games are better and the costs have come down. Last year BF deal was CAD 200 for PSVR + camera + Astrobot + Moss. I bought a second one so now we can play together in VR. Still haven't done that though, playing Beat saber side by side is about the extent of it. It has no multiplayer just scoreboards, but at least we don't have to wait to take turns!

I don't really like the Switch that much. Left stick is broken, screen is tiny, controllers are very uncomfortable to use. I haven't bought the pro controller though, that might be good, but not willing to sink more money into the Switch atm. Move controllers suck as well, you're not missing much there. They're fine in Super hot and Beat saber but as soon as a game involves movement or using the tiny face buttons you'll start cursing them.

Anyway, I've played so many games on PSVR for so many hours that the lining at the back of first headset has mostly worn off!



0D0 said:
3DS was my favourite for a long time and today I'd say that PS4 is almost beating it.

If everything many say about PS5 is true, I think PS5 is gonna be the best of all time for me.

I read 3DO and was ready to curse you.



duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

For me the top four consoles (handhelds not included) are..

1. Switch

The console isn't even three years old yet, and the library easily rivals what the PS4 had by 2016. Once Switch makes it to six years old the library should be just as good or even better than the PS4's library is now.

2. PS4

This is the console where Sony exclusives entered Nintendo levels of quality and just stayed there. Combine that with the ability to get virtually any 3rd party game released to it, and you have a very strong library.

3. PS2

A lot of developers just focused on PS2 and ignored Nintendo/Microsoft. The result is that the PS2 has a library that dwarfs its competitors. 3D gaming finally came into its own during this gen. If you can stomach 480p resolution PS2 is still a great system to own.

4. SNES

The best of the 2D consoles. Secret of Mana, Kirby's Dreamland 3, Super Mario World, Super Mario RPG, Ninja Gaiden Trilogy, Yoshi's Island, aLttP, Final Fantasy VI, and Super Metroid all hold up wonderfully. Throw in a few repro carts of games from Japan like Secret of Mana 2, Terranigma, a few Fire Emblems, and an SMT game. Finally there's games like Castlevania IV, and Contra 3 which are fairly good to this day.



The sentence below is false. 
The sentence above is true.