Quantcast
Finally joined the PC Master Race

Forums - PC Discussion - Finally joined the PC Master Race

BillyBong said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

Welcome to the herd club.

About your future upgrade plans: Ever thought about an AMD CPU instead of a Core i9? Not noticeably slower anymore, but still noticeably cheaper.

I have thought about going AMD.. but I don't know.. last time I went to team red, I had pretty crappy performance with the CPU.. so I've been hesitant since.  Does seem nowadays though, best bang for buck are all AMD CPUs..  will decide later on though when I do decide to upgrade my mobo and CPU.. will be based on performance at the time.  Threadrippers  and the new Ryzen 9 do peak my interest though.. ain't going to lie.

Threadrippers are not really that great for gaming unless you intend to play 10 games at once. AMD has made great strides and they're in the process of overtaking Intel because Intel hugely fucked up in their development line. For now it's the same as always: If you have money go Intel, if you want to save a bit but still have performance go AMD. This might change in the next 2 years depending on if Intel lets it happen.

Just don't try to be blinded by core and GHz numbers or theoretical and app benchmarks. AMD has all of those in the bag, yet they still lag slightly behind in raw gaming performance.

BTW you missed the most important thing. What kind of resolution are you playing on? If you're still on 1080p ditch it asap and go 1440p.



If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network
Snesboy said:
Your rig is pretty dope. Though my Ryzen 1700 is still kicking ass so I'll wait to upgrade.

Handy enough with Ryzen all using socket AM4 you could be able to get yourself an upgrade with only changing the CPU and not needing to chuck out the board/ram this time around, jump from the 1700 > 3600x if you've got a 400/500 series chipset in your mobo and yeah... you'll be right up to date with performance for 200quid

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-Ryzen-7-1700-vs-AMD-Ryzen-5-3600X/3917vs4041

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AMD-Ryzen-3600-Processor-Cache/dp/B07SQBFN2D/ref=sr_1_3?crid=3N7S07BJ20BFP&keywords=3600%2Bryzen&qid=1568782104&s=gateway&sprefix=3600%2Bry%2Caps%2C129&sr=8-3&th=1

very motherboard specific if you got a cheaper older board when you bought your 1700 you'll have to look up compatibility with Zen2 cpus.

@OP Nice build, would be interested to know what monitor (s) you're using with that setup, If you're on 1080p/1440p displays you really wont have much use of an upgrade to the 1080ti for a while imo



Fancy hearing me on an amateur podcast with friends gushing over one of my favourite games? https://youtu.be/1I7JfMMxhf8

Chazore said:

Welcome to the club.

Also, welcome to the 1080ti VIP lounge

I hear he won it from Onionberry!



Fancy hearing me on an amateur podcast with friends gushing over one of my favourite games? https://youtu.be/1I7JfMMxhf8

vivster said:

Threadrippers are not really that great for gaming unless you intend to play 10 games at once. AMD has made great strides and they're in the process of overtaking Intel because Intel hugely fucked up in their development line. For now it's the same as always: If you have money go Intel, if you want to save a bit but still have performance go AMD. This might change in the next 2 years depending on if Intel lets it happen.

Just don't try to be blinded by core and GHz numbers or theoretical and app benchmarks. AMD has all of those in the bag, yet they still lag slightly behind in raw gaming performance.

BTW you missed the most important thing. What kind of resolution are you playing on? If you're still on 1080p ditch it asap and go 1440p.

AMD will of course pull ahead if you are multi-tasking... Like running a Game+Discord+Steam+Dozen other game launchers+Twitch Streaming+Browser loaded with tabs+Playing Music+OS Background tasks... Mostly that is because AMD will sell you more CPU cores at any given price point.

Sadly most benchmarks performed by various outlets are run on a squeaky clean system which doesn't represent such usage scenarios.

But you are right, Threadripper is entirely pointless for gaming right now.




Welcome to the true 4k @ 60FPS side of gaming.



I LOVE ICELAND!

Around the Network

Honestly think this is the wrong move.
Next year there will be machines (consoles) that releaseing were the default will be 4k 60fps, and probably be as powerfull as that PC you built.
However with console code to metal, the advantages will be there. Now with deminishing returns (in visuals) and with how many exclusives consoles get...

PC master race is a thing of the past.
Doesnt make nearly as much sense now, as it did like 10 years or more ago.



KungKras said:
Welcome to the true 4k @ 60FPS side of gaming.

Only 60FPS? Why bother limiting yourself to that when you can have 120,144 or even 240FPS panels?

JRPGfan said:
Honestly think this is the wrong move.
Next year there will be machines (consoles) that releaseing were the default will be 4k 60fps, and probably be as powerfull as that PC you built.
However with console code to metal, the advantages will be there. Now with deminishing returns (in visuals) and with how many exclusives consoles get...

PC master race is a thing of the past.
Doesnt make nearly as much sense now, as it did like 10 years or more ago.

That's bait

Last edited by Bofferbrauer2 - on 18 September 2019

Bofferbrauer2 said:
KungKras said:
Welcome to the true 4k @ 60FPS side of gaming.

Only 60FPS? Why bother limiting yourself to that when you can have 120,144 or even 240FPS panels?

What if I want to run ten games at once? :P



I LOVE ICELAND!

Pemalite said:
vivster said:

Threadrippers are not really that great for gaming unless you intend to play 10 games at once. AMD has made great strides and they're in the process of overtaking Intel because Intel hugely fucked up in their development line. For now it's the same as always: If you have money go Intel, if you want to save a bit but still have performance go AMD. This might change in the next 2 years depending on if Intel lets it happen.

Just don't try to be blinded by core and GHz numbers or theoretical and app benchmarks. AMD has all of those in the bag, yet they still lag slightly behind in raw gaming performance.

BTW you missed the most important thing. What kind of resolution are you playing on? If you're still on 1080p ditch it asap and go 1440p.

AMD will of course pull ahead if you are multi-tasking... Like running a Game+Discord+Steam+Dozen other game launchers+Twitch Streaming+Browser loaded with tabs+Playing Music+OS Background tasks... Mostly that is because AMD will sell you more CPU cores at any given price point.

Sadly most benchmarks performed by various outlets are run on a squeaky clean system which doesn't represent such usage scenarios.

But you are right, Threadripper is entirely pointless for gaming right now.

Which is great because I play my games on a squeaky clean gaming rig. That means I get the full performance out of my Intels. Until AMD maybe overtakes them. Or game developers start to embrace actual multicore builds.



If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

KungKras said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

Only 60FPS? Why bother limiting yourself to that when you can have 120,144 or even 240FPS panels?

What if I want to run ten games at once? :P

Then you run those 10 games at once at 240FPS.



If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.