Quantcast
SNES Games are LIVE on the Nintendo Switch Online Service

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - SNES Games are LIVE on the Nintendo Switch Online Service

Hell yeahh, now THIS is why I paid for this service! (Plus basically to play Smash Online). 

Definitely intend to revisit Yoshi's Island. I sort of cooled to it after initially getting into it as a child (was always far more a DKC fan) - sort of begun to see it more as a chore than a fun game w/the annoying Baby Mario crying and all the collectibles. But in hindsight after replaying it it really is a great game. And it's neat to play it in all its colorful glory on the relatively big handheld screen of Switch.

Also never played much F-Zero so I intend to burn through more of that -  only beat maybe 2 or 3 of the GP cups before.

Definitely want to play some games online with my buddy - we used to play Kirby's Dream Course back in the day so that'd be cool to revisit especially online.

Believe it or not, I never played Super Metroid, so I intend to rectify that. Breath of Fire is an RPG I'd like to try out, heard it was good. 

Beyond that it's mostly waiting for games I WANT to play on it - DKC series, Earthbound, Final Fight, Mario RPG, Uniracers, Sim City, and a ton more that I can't really think of..



Around the Network
Ganoncrotch said:

@Barkley http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9052443 really wondering if there was something else I missed here or were you just in the thread for one post and gone?

Eh I didn't see the need to reply. He only stated height, if when he said maximise he really meant 16:9 it would be weird to only specify the relatively small borders top and bottom instead of the massive black borders left and right. He only stated height, when he said maximise he just meant maximise height.



Predictions (Made July 2019)

LTD: PS4 - 130m, Switch - 110m, XBO - 52m       2019 : PS4 - 15m, Switch - 18.8m, XBO - 4.8m        2020: Switch - 22m (Peak Year)


Man this is awesome. So many people a year ago for some reason thought Nintendo would only have NES games on Switch Online, when it was obvious the subscription model was simply there replacement for the VC model. And I love this model. 20 great SNES games I can play without needing to buy! I am definitely looking forward to playing through Breath of Fire and A Link to the Past.



Barkley said:
Ganoncrotch said:

@Barkley http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9052443 really wondering if there was something else I missed here or were you just in the thread for one post and gone?

Eh I didn't see the need to reply. He only stated height, if when he said maximise he really meant 16:9 it would be weird to only specify the relatively small borders top and bottom instead of the massive black borders left and right. He only stated height, when he said maximise he just meant maximise height.

I think you've just focused on how he mentioned height and not the parts where he mentions wanting to use more of the screen or the separate sentence of "is there a way to maximise the screen" maximise from a literal definition means to use all of the screen.

I know it sounds strange to some people because stretching out the aspect ratio would distort these 4:3 titles but I also know that some people (myself included) would like the option to use the entire screen.

Or maybe he did mean maximise globally in the USA but it would have been a misuse of the word.

@drbunnig no worries at all, I think my vision is turning 16bit after a week lost in SNES glory :D 

@DarthMetalliCube you never played super metroid? :O then for you the 20e yearly sub cost will be covered just by rectifying that asap, one thing I would say is make sure you play it with sound! The audio of super metroid is so atmospheric in places I think it's a game that would suffer to be played without sound.



Fancy hearing me on an amateur podcast with friends gushing over one of my favourite games? https://youtu.be/1I7JfMMxhf8

drbunnig said:
I'm about halfway through Super Mario World and close to halfway through Yoshi's Island. Getting some serious slowdown on a few levels in Mario World, can't recall experiencing that before on the SNES or any emulators. Any had a similar problem?

I'm getting this as well, but only when there's lots of enemies on the screen. The frame rate drops and then after a few seconds it goes back to normal. I didn't test every game, but so far there's only this slowdown in Super Mario World.



Around the Network
RedKingXIII said:
drbunnig said:
I'm about halfway through Super Mario World and close to halfway through Yoshi's Island. Getting some serious slowdown on a few levels in Mario World, can't recall experiencing that before on the SNES or any emulators. Any had a similar problem?

I'm getting this as well, but only when there's lots of enemies on the screen. The frame rate drops and then after a few seconds it goes back to normal. I didn't test every game, but so far there's only this slowdown in Super Mario World.

It's because it's an exact port of the North American version of the game which did have slowdown at parts.

There are similar glitches in the NES titles which also existed on the NES. Nintendo didn't clean the games up; some emulators might, and there were remakes of the games where these things no longer existed.



I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

@DarthMetalliCube you never played super metroid? :O then for you the 20e yearly sub cost will be covered just by rectifying that asap, one thing I would say is make sure you play it with sound! The audio of super metroid is so atmospheric in places I think it's a game that would suffer to be played without sound.

Nah - My gaming options were pretty much what my dad decided them to be up until about post-2000 when I was able to pick/buy my own games. Until then it was pretty limited in scope as it was basically at the whim of his limited knowledge of gaming - so basically Mario (and Mario related stuff like Yoshi and Donkey Kong), Tetris, and some other random games, namely stuff based off movies and TV shows at the time like Ren and Stimpy XD. And once the 2000s rolled around I was fairly caught up in snagging a lot of new game releases for the Cube, Dreamcast, PC, etc and didn't really look back.. Luckily my good friend had a lot of older Nintendo stuff I'd play at his place but his selection was fairly limited too.

Even Zelda I had to jump fairly late onto the bandwagon, playing WW as my first Zelda game in 2001 and only playing Link to the Past for the first time on GBA a few years later. First Metroid game was Prime 1. So I'm still largely playing catch-up and retracing my gaming history steps whilst still trying to keep up with some of the new stuff. 

Will be sure to play Metroid with that sound bar cranked up!

Last edited by DarthMetalliCube - on 10 September 2019

Now that they finally released SNES just have to wait a year for N64 games so those people stop begging. You will then have to wait till 2021 for the GC people to stop begging.



Ganoncrotch said:
Valdney said:
Now give us joycons with dpads (without analog sticks,please). These games are perfect for handheld mode.

Would love the option of a symmetrical joycon, all it would take is to release a left one with the stick at the lower half to make a PlayStation feeling setup. Would make a few games ported to the switch really good.

I took my wife to a store the other day and while waiting in the car, I tried to play some Snes games on my Switch. It's cool to have a NES and a Snes on the go, but with the current joycon set up, it's unplayable. Such a damn shame.



Valdney said:
Ganoncrotch said:

Would love the option of a symmetrical joycon, all it would take is to release a left one with the stick at the lower half to make a PlayStation feeling setup. Would make a few games ported to the switch really good.

I took my wife to a store the other day and while waiting in the car, I tried to play some Snes games on my Switch. It's cool to have a NES and a Snes on the go, but with the current joycon set up, it's unplayable. Such a damn shame.

Harder than it needs to be... but definitely not unplayable, you should at least take a look at that Hori left joycon that I link here every chance I get, that thing is awesome for 2d games, I finished the majority of Celeste using it recently... dear lord btw that is one rock hard game, would have fit perfectly on the NES/Snes days, I died over 1100 times in my 7 hour playthrough, I worked it out as being a death every 20 seconds lol.



Fancy hearing me on an amateur podcast with friends gushing over one of my favourite games? https://youtu.be/1I7JfMMxhf8