Quantcast
Tell us something we didn't know about you

Forums - General Discussion - Tell us something we didn't know about you

The Fury said:
I have £45k in the bank. I have no life.

Why would you ever want to have a life for? If you had one, you wouldn't have 45K in your bank account cause your life would cost you a lot.

Having a life is a totally overrated high maintenance chore.

Last edited by CrazyGamer2017 - on 28 August 2019

.

I'm in the zone, don't bother me!

Around the Network

Another one, i've never had a cigarette and i am fine with that



Switch friend-code: 6700-1526-7903

PSN: melbye82

melbye said:
Another one, i've never had a cigarette and i am fine with that

Good.



RaptorChrist said:
zealen said:
I'm a Pediatric cardiologist

Super cool.

I'm too old to be a patient of yours then, but last month I made an appointment and got referred to see a cardiologist because I have been getting this sensation in my chest when I sleep at night. Right as I start to fall asleep, I oftentimes get jolted back awake and I become hyper-aware of my heart-beat and an intense sensation fills my chest. I find myself gasping for air at the same time.

I wore an event monitor for the last 30 days (finished it up on Sunday) where I had to submit symptoms when I felt them. It was basically an EKG monitor that was always present so that when my episodes occurred, they could see what was happening with my heart.

I've never had heart problems before, and I almost never go to the doctor, as most problems seem to fix themselves, but this particular problem has persisted and even gotten worse over the last six months, and for years before that I've been getting chest pain at times.

My self-diagnosis before having gone to the doctor was sleep apnea, or something with my heart, as I would notice shortness of breath when this happens, but my cardiologist believes that it is a case of anxiety, although she hasn't fully reviewed everything yet and I am going back in on the 9th of next month to follow-up with her. I just couldn't wait that long so I called to ask if they had found anything yet.

Figured I'd share, as I had never understood that anxiety caused things like that. In my naive mind, anxiety was synonymous with stress, but I had no idea it caused the body to feel odd sensations like that.

Well, if its a congenital disease (something you're born with) the Pediatric cardiologist's still your doctor. We see a lot of adults with congenital heart diseases, some of them didn't know and some who've been our patients for a long time.

But I hope you don't need one and your exams turn out good. And don't underestimate anxiety...It can bring you a lot of problems. Hope it doesn't go that way!



CrazyGamer2017 said:
Lonely_Dolphin said:

How are ya able to live like this, to escape the raw deal of working til you die? Please teach me your ways! Atm I don't have to do anything, but that wont last forever, my parents will eventually kick me out or die.

Spoiler!

This could be a very long post, but I'll try to make it as short as possible.

Ultimately fate/destiny/luck (call it whatever you want) may change from person to person but there is common ground here that does apply to everyone.

The first thing you need to know is that you are a SLAVE to the system. And by you, I mean everybody (Myself included at first but not anymore). The system wants you to spend every dollar you have, through advertisement and peer pressure and also through brainwashing from birth. We are all taught from the beginning that we must go to school for at least 12 years (from 6 to 18) often more, then find a job, do what our boss tells us to do, go there for most of our life till we are 65 and then retire.

We are also told to marry, have kids and have a social life. All that brainwashing I explained plus this here, is a deadly combo that pretty much ensures you will be a slave for the rest of your life.

So the second thing you need to realize is what is objectively valuable in your life. If your answer is, marrying, having kids, a job and a social life then don't bother reading any further cause your happiness is to be a slave to the system and there is nothing in this post that can help change your life in a way that will matter to you.

If like me, you come to the realization that what matters is your TIME and FREEDOM then perhaps this post can help. In this capitalistic world we are all competing for 2 things. The first one is obviously MONEY and most people know this but the second thing, most people don't even realize they are competing for it and therefore don't really try and as a result, are poor of that thing, and I'm talking about TIME. Even people with lots of money don't realize this and what they do is work even more to make even more money and those people become addicted to simply making more money and therefore end up slaves to their addiction. No time for them to enjoy what they have cause they must work hard, impress people, go to high society parties to meet important people, spend (waste) lots of money in expensive clothes cause you wanna look rich to impress important people. Important people that at the end of the day don't give a damn about you...

Me I value time and I am very rich of it. Literally the 24 hours of the day are mine which I really love and appreciate. I don't want to HAVE to do stuff, have to work, have to take care of kids after school, have to pick up the wife at her job cause it's the end of the day and she's done working, have to go to places to go to appointments etc... Anything that is an obligation, I hate.

So I managed to organize my life in such a way that I don't have to do stuff anymore. So the first thing (and you must realize this is not for everybody, I mean most people couldn't stand this) is to NOT have a wife, NOT have kids, NOT have a job, NOT have social obligations of any sort etc.

To be clear I used to have a job cause I had no money when I was 18 and if you are starting in life, unless your parents give you a substantial amount of money, you will have to find a job to make money. But the difference with the rest of the world is that you will save every last penny of it. Doesn't matter how, stay at your parents to save on rent, don't go out on week-ends, don't go on vacations, don't go have a drink with your buddies etc. Cause all that stuff will cost you money and the more money you spend, the more dependent on the system you are and the less free you are.

Most people live paycheck to paycheck, are incapable of saving a single dollar and actually live in debt up to their necks, those people are total slaves to the system, they MUST work, no choice here, all their lives.

Me, to be clear I'm not rich, but I spent almost nothing and saved everything, month after month. 20 years later I got my own place that I own, zero debt, and passive income that is enough for me. I never tried to become rich, to make lots of money cause I don't think I have the talent to get there so I brought my spending to the bare minimum. No kids, no wife, no social life that makes me waste money, no car cause I live in a city so everything is easily accessible by foot, no wasted money in gym clubs cause by walking everywhere I exercise for free etc...

Most people don't realize the ton of money they can save by NOT following the standard model that society brainwashes them with (wife, kids, family, social life etc) So here i am, in my early 40's and completely free, lazy and spending my time between Netflix, Youtube, video games, forums like this one, walks outside when the weather is nice and so on.

I'm free, I have ZERO obligations and most importantly I love being free.

Ah so you basically retired super early at the cost of having more limited life experiences. I don't mind being considered a slave or not, my only concern is being happy, so that plan wouldn't work for me especially since it still requires working. However that is a good plan in general and it's great that it worked out for ya, thanks for sharing it.



Around the Network
Lonely_Dolphin said:

Ah so you basically retired super early at the cost of having more limited life experiences. I don't mind being considered a slave or not, my only concern is being happy, so that plan wouldn't work for me especially since it still requires working. However that is a good plan in general and it's great that it worked out for ya, thanks for sharing it.

Everything has a cost. the idea here is to know which cost you can take and which you can't. While most people I guess can't take the cost of "less limited life experiences" I am one that cannot take the cost of not having time for myself and thus literally having the full 24 hours/day to myself is my personal definition of "successful". I don't have to work, I don't have to be at some place tomorrow, I don't have to do this or do that, I don't have to do anything. I'm literally as free as a human can be. But it comes to a cost yes, like anything else in life.

Most people define their "success" by how much money they have, I however define mine by how independent from the system I am. I'm not saying it's bad to define success thru how much money you have, I'm just saying it's not something for me. Also to me success is a situation in which you come on top of and control. Most people that are financially successful end up being controlled by their greed. What's the difference between me and Warren Buffet? I am super broke compared to him, but he's a slave to his money and social position. I have all the time a human can have to myself whereas he's too busy doing business to really do anything of his time. You could argue he could stop working any time and have all his time to lazy around freely with all his billions of dollars and you'd be right, but the reality is he won't stop working cause he's a slave to always making more money, but why? He's a billionaire, why does he need to make more money? He does not, he simply can't stop doing what he's done all his life. He's a slave to his own success and he's controlled by it whether he admits it or not.

I did say at some point that this isn't for everybody, remember?



.

I'm in the zone, don't bother me!

CrazyGamer2017 said:
Lonely_Dolphin said:

Ah so you basically retired super early at the cost of having more limited life experiences. I don't mind being considered a slave or not, my only concern is being happy, so that plan wouldn't work for me especially since it still requires working. However that is a good plan in general and it's great that it worked out for ya, thanks for sharing it.

Everything has a cost. the idea here is to know which cost you can take and which you can't. While most people I guess can't take the cost of "less limited life experiences" I am one that cannot take the cost of not having time for myself and thus literally having the full 24 hours/day to myself is my personal definition of "successful". I don't have to work, I don't have to be at some place tomorrow, I don't have to do this or do that, I don't have to do anything. I'm literally as free as a human can be. But it comes to a cost yes, like anything else in life.

Most people define their "success" by how much money they have, I however define mine by how independent from the system I am. I'm not saying it's bad to define success thru how much money you have, I'm just saying it's not something for me. Also to me success is a situation in which you come on top of and control. Most people that are financially successful end up being controlled by their greed. What's the difference between me and Warren Buffet? I am super broke compared to him, but he's a slave to his money and social position. I have all the time a human can have to myself whereas he's too busy doing business to really do anything of his time. You could argue he could stop working any time and have all his time to lazy around freely with all his billions of dollars and you'd be right, but the reality is he won't stop working cause he's a slave to always making more money, but why? He's a billionaire, why does he need to make more money? He does not, he simply can't stop doing what he's done all his life. He's a slave to his own success and he's controlled by it whether he admits it or not.

I did say at some point that this isn't for everybody, remember?

Yes everything has cost, I never said otherwise, but here's a thought. Just as you say this Warren Buffet guy (idk who he is) is a slave to money, it could also be said that you're a slave to your idea of freedom. Rather than love and money you desire solitude and unemployment instead, different but still a desire all the same. Nothing wrong with that, but there's also nothing wrong wanting the aforementioned. Your use of the word slave seems to imply that's bad somehow.



I was a teacher... and that really worked out poorly. So I enrolled in law school. Which doesn't pay anything. So I just had to give up my apartment and move back home, which makes me feel like a miserable failure. Because being self sufficient was the only real success I felt I had in life. For the past few days, when I'm not at school or doing reading for school, I've basically either been crying or sleeping.



zealen said:
RaptorChrist said:

Super cool.

Figured I'd share, as I had never understood that anxiety caused things like that. In my naive mind, anxiety was synonymous with stress, but I had no idea it caused the body to feel odd sensations like that.

Well, if its a congenital disease (something you're born with) the Pediatric cardiologist's still your doctor. We see a lot of adults with congenital heart diseases, some of them didn't know and some who've been our patients for a long time.

But I hope you don't need one and your exams turn out good. And don't underestimate anxiety...It can bring you a lot of problems. Hope it doesn't go that way!

Oh, that's something I didn't know. But yeah, there's still a chance I find out bad news about my heart, but I think that chance is fairly slim, at least based on what I've been told thus far.

But here's an interesting thing that happened... About midway through my event monitoring trial I missed a phone call from the cardiologist one night at about 9:30 pm. I didn't notice the missed call until the next morning while at work. They tried calling again while I was in the middle of a fairly important conference call with a client, so I had just dismissed the call, figuring it could wait.

I immediately noticed the missed call from the night before, as well as the notification that I had a new voicemail. I tabbed over and read the transcribed version of the voicemail and it said something to the affect of "Hi, this is so-and-so calling from the cardiology office, and it's very important that you call us back." I'm trying to keep myself composed because at the same time I'm holding a conversation with a client, but my mind was racing and all I could think was that the monitor must have recorded some alarming patterns with my heart. Why else would they call me so late at night when I don't even think they stay open that late?

I remember the client I was speaking with was talking a lot, and I was waiting for a good moment to get a word in and tell him I need to call him back. I did, and then I raced outside to find someplace quiet where I could have what could potentially be a life-changing conversation.

I call them back and after they verify who they are speaking with, they then proceed to ask me if I lost consciousness the night before.

"What!? No! When did this happen?" Clearly the EKG monitor must have recorded patterns that lead them to this conclusion, I assumed.

"Did you faint or pass out?"

"I don't think so, but maybe during my sleep? What time was this recorded?"

I remember my boss's wife had just arrived at the office with her kids and was walking inside, and I had done my best to say hello without making it obvious that I was getting bad news...

But I wasn't getting bad news. As it turns out, a symptom of "syncope" was submitted via the heart monitor... meaning that while in my pocket, the touch panel must have activated and conveniently selected "syncope" the previous evening. I'd submitted many symptoms over the previous couple of weeks, but never that one. Not intentionally. That specific symptom must be a red flag and it alerts someone to make contact with the individual to make sure they are okay.

So yeah, just a false alarm.

Sorry, that could have been a one paragraph story lol



You actually all know way too much about me so I'm having a hard time to come up with something.

What you probably don't know is that I'm currently in the process of quitting my job and starting a new job this year. It's a big step in both salary and challenge so I'm hoping I'm doing the right thing.



If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.