Quantcast
Sony aquires "Insomniac Games"

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony aquires "Insomniac Games"

Xxain said:
This is not even slightly Interesting. Why buy a studio that by choice, would only develop for your consoles anways?

I think the general view point was that Insomniac was always a first party studio of Sony.  But now I guess it's official.  I always thought it was for the longest time until I heard about Sunset Overdrive.



Lube Me Up

Around the Network
twintail said:
HollyGamer said:

that's why it's more reasonable for Sony to acquire them now,  before they getting to big, before they getting more expensive or acquire by more bigger company. Let say the situation on gaming Industry is uncertain as well.  

Anything is possible. Your comparison to NT is still not that strong.

Insomniac has seen their continued success with Sony, something NT had with no one. 

Money isn't the only factor in play here. 

Tarsier is someone Sony used to help with projects rather than mainline them, so maybe not that lucrative a move from Sony's POV. 

Housemarquee seems to be working with Sony on a new game. But their games are low sellers. Still it would be a great buy if HM can move up to higher budget titles.

From is never happening. The already belong to a very successful multi media company. 

I am just saying what the expert saying, also i am already wrote this back on my previous thread http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=240190&page=1



HollyGamer said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Don't get me wrong, I think Insomniac is a great studio. However, they aren't better than Playground games, Ninja Theory and Obsidian combined.

It has been a very significant studio for PlayStation exclusives, this makes sense. But I'm not gonna pretend their games have been industry defining.

By Fact alone this studios are equal to Naughty Dog + Multi Platform developer + Triple A VR Developer.  Not include how they have a long history since PS1 era Even Naughty Dog is worth 5 studios compared to Xbox Games Studios.  

Is "fact" a word we dont use literally anynore?

I think Biden said truth matters more than facts.



Recently Completed
Crackdown 3
for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Mr Puggsly said:
HollyGamer said:

By Fact alone this studios are equal to Naughty Dog + Multi Platform developer + Triple A VR Developer.  Not include how they have a long history since PS1 era Even Naughty Dog is worth 5 studios compared to Xbox Games Studios.  

Is "fact" a word we dont use literally anynore?

I think Biden said truth matters more than facts.

By fact means on historical sales figures, brand recognition  and big company like Microsoft appraisal and Facebook is alone make this already refutable fact not include metacritic and all score critique even before meta critique exist. Boooom 



Chris Hu said:
Replicant said:

Google
Owlchemy Labs (Job Simulator)
Slide (SuperPoke)
Niantic (Pokémon Go) – Spun off in 2015
In talks to acquire more game studios (link)

Amazon
Double Helix Games (Killer Instinct)
Reflexive Entertainment (Lucky's Escape)

Epic
Psyonix (Rocket League)
Cloudgine (Crackdown 3)
Chair Entertainment (Shadow Complex)
People Can Fly (Gears of War: Judgment, Bulletstorm) – Sold in 2015

However besides Microsoft, THQ Nordic (and to a lesser degree Bigben) has been the one on a crazy buying spree these past few years.

THQ Nordic
Black Forest Games (Destroy All Humans!)
Bugbear Entertainment (FlatOut)
Dambuster Studios (Dead Island 2)
Deep Silver (publisher of Saints Row, Dead Island, etc.)
Experiment 101 (Biomutant)
Grimlore Games (SpellForce 3)
Gunfire Games (Darksiders 3)
Pieces Interactive (Magicka 2)
Piranha Bytes (Gothic, Risen, ELEX)
Rainbow Studios (MX vs. ATV)
Volition (Saints Row)
Warhorse Studios (Kingdom Come: Deliverance)
Together with a huge bunch of IP (link)

Bigben Interactive
Cyanide (Styx, Call of Cthulhu, Werewolf)
Kylotonn (WRC 8, V-Rally 4)
Spiders (The Technomancer, Greedfall)

Crackdown 3 was developed by Sumo Digital.  Cloudgine only had a minor role in its development.

Yup, I know.

It's just to show what they're known for. Not saying that they were the sole developer.



Around the Network
HollyGamer said:
twintail said:

Anything is possible. Your comparison to NT is still not that strong.

Insomniac has seen their continued success with Sony, something NT had with no one. 

Money isn't the only factor in play here. 

Tarsier is someone Sony used to help with projects rather than mainline them, so maybe not that lucrative a move from Sony's POV. 

Housemarquee seems to be working with Sony on a new game. But their games are low sellers. Still it would be a great buy if HM can move up to higher budget titles.

From is never happening. The already belong to a very successful multi media company. 

I am just saying what the expert saying, also i am already wrote this back on my previous thread http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=240190&page=1

I'm not denying that Sony will buy more studios if it is possible.

I do think that there are candidates that ppl want which aren't as likely as they seem. From Software is an example of this. 

I also don't think Sony are just going to buy studios for smaller scale games; that is something they can easily partner up for instead.



Lafiel said:
zealen said:
So, who's next?

I would say Blue Point and Housemarque are likely targets. Ready at Dawn expressed interest in going first party, but I think Oculus could be in a better position to acquire them. Oculus might also have tried to buy Insomniac, as the studio made a few games for them.

@bolded

This is really interesting. Do you have a link? I would love if Sony picked them up. They have an excellent base; they just need fine-tuned—and Sony I feel could hell take them to the next level. Unfortunately, it seemed like there was some bad blood between them after The Order didn’t perform as expected. 

Also, I would LOVE if Sony bought Housemarque. That would be a great pickup to diversify Sony’s game profile, esp for people who like coop games. 



DonFerrari said:
pitzy272 said:

I really hope so. I’ve felt for years that Remedy, if guided some by a company like Sony, could go from a good developer to a stellar one. Their creativity and imagination is awesome, but they just have some weaknesses. Still to this day I have a strong urge to play Quantum Break, but then I think about having to watch through the TV stuff and it discourages me. :( I’m super hyped for Control tho!

On the same topic, I truly believe Insomniac will go from a good to a top notch studio under Sony. There is a strong pattern—esp in this ps4 gen—of Sony’s good studios transitioning to the next level of quality (e.g. GG, SSM, and I predict Sucker Punch will be next to prove this). Insomniac has been fairly stagnant in their quality for a long time imo, but I think that even by the release of Spider-Man 2, we’ll see a definitive, blatant difference. In 5-10y? I think they’ll be on the current level of SSM or ND. 

Spiderman 1 was already on the stelar level. So they have already step up. Sony being with them will make it constant.

I personally disagree. Spider-Man 1 was undoubtedly a good game, but IMO it was not on the level of “stellar” or “amazing.” I think the fact that it’s a Spider-Man game created a tendency for people to like it more and give it more passes for its shortcomings.

HollyGamer said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Is "fact" a word we dont use literally anynore?

I think Biden said truth matters more than facts.

By fact means on historical sales figures, brand recognition  and big company like Microsoft appraisal and Facebook is alone make this already refutable fact not include metacritic and all score critique even before meta critique exist. Boooom 

I’m a PlayStation fan, but come on, do you have to bash the competition to celebrate the good news for PS?



pitzy272 said:
DonFerrari said:

Spiderman 1 was already on the stelar level. So they have already step up. Sony being with them will make it constant.

I personally disagree. Spider-Man 1 was undoubtedly a good game, but IMO it was not on the level of “stellar” or “amazing.” I think the fact that it’s a Spider-Man game created a tendency for people to like it more and give it more passes for its shortcomings.

HollyGamer said:

By fact means on historical sales figures, brand recognition  and big company like Microsoft appraisal and Facebook is alone make this already refutable fact not include metacritic and all score critique even before meta critique exist. Boooom 

I’m a PlayStation fan, but come on, do you have to bash the competition to celebrate the good news for PS?

My personal opinion and the critical acclaim put it on the same level of stellar games. But we don't need to discuss that. I agree there is potential to improve now that they are first party.



duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Xxain said:
This is not even slightly Interesting. Why buy a studio that by choice, would only develop for your consoles anways?

Insomniac developed Sunset Overdrive. Exclusively for Xbox. The aquisition prevents any future exceptions. Remedy also made Xbox exclusivity deals. With Microsoft going on a shopping spree, it wouldn't be surprising if Sony wants to contain them by doing some shopping on their own. 



Hunting Season is done...