Quantcast
Let's talk about Metroid ( New Poll Added: Super Metroid vs Metroid Prime)

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Let's talk about Metroid ( New Poll Added: Super Metroid vs Metroid Prime)

Which one is your favorite?

Super Metroid (SNES) 15 46.88%
 
Metroid Prime (GC) 17 53.13%
 
Total:32

Ok folks, so let's put those Metroidvania nominations in two categories:

Major Studios
1)
2)
3)
4)
5)


Independent Studios
1)
2)
3)
4)
5)

These won't be weighted any differently, so don't worry about necesarily putting them in order. Just looking for as many nominations as possible to see what rises to the top. Top 10 make it into the poll...if we don't end up with 10 I'll have to pad the list with my personal favorites.

Go!



Around the Network

Major studios
1. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night

Independent studios
1. Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night
2. Ori and the Blind Forest
3. Hollow Knight
4. AM2R



Doing the indies first because that has a much richer catalog of games to choose from so it's easier

Independent Studios:
1. Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night
2. AM2R
3. Guacamelee
4. Cave Story
5. Steamworld Dig

Okay, gotta do the AAAs without naming Metroid. Hmm...you know what? I'm gonna be controversial, just because I can, and not name any Castlevanias either, and really stretch the definition. The following games are, I would argue, effectively Metroidvanias:
Major Studios:
1. Banjo-Tooie (It was more non-linear than the first game, lots of unlockable moves needed to continue to progress, the levels sometimes interconnect)
2. Kirby & The Amazing Mirror (You explore a giant interconnected world, in whatever order you want, only major difference is that you can lose and gain the powerups needed for progress as needed, completely different from the other Kirby games in its nonlinearity)
3. Wario Land 3 (I mean did you ever play it? There's a lot you can't do until you unlock the right move, lot of obvious areas you know you'll need to backtrack to later once you do, levels aren't interconnected but don't have a set end point like your typical platformer)
4. Shantae (the Capcom published one for the Game Boy Color, that counts as AAA, right?)
5. Ys VIII (yes it's an ARPG, but with strong Metroidvania elements, you gradually unlock more of an island by unlocking various tools like the ability to climb walls, double jump, etc., and you have to find shipwreck survivors to unlock certain areas and certain features of you shipwreck survivor village)

You know, there aren't actually a lot of AAA Metroidvanias not called Metroid or Castlevania...



Indie
1) Steamworld Dig 2
2) Guacamelee
3) Hollow Knight
4) Axiom Verge
5) Fluidity

I really need to play more of this genre. There's quite a lot of new ones that I've been hoping to grab, but then something happens. Looking forward to seeing more recommendations and nominations to help me pick my next adventure.

Also, I'm kind of considering not doing a major studio Metroidvania poll, considering that the offerings aren't as deep. I'll still take nominations, but I'm not sure we'll end up with a strong poll from the choices.



Indie:

1) Axiom Verge
2) Hollow Knight
3) uuuhhhmmmm... I haven't played that many, I guess



Gameplay > Graphics

Substance > Style

Art Direction > Realism

Around the Network

Has anyone played The Messenger? It's pretty cool. Starts off as a Ninja Gaiden clone but turns out it's more like Super Metroid actually. I can recommend that one.



Gameplay > Graphics

Substance > Style

Art Direction > Realism

GoOnKid said:

Has anyone played The Messenger? It's pretty cool. Starts off as a Ninja Gaiden clone but turns out it's more like Super Metroid actually. I can recommend that one.

That's one of the new ones I definitely need to try.  Along with Dead Cells.  They just cost so much that I'm dreading buying them and finding out they're not my style.  



super_etecoon said:
Indie
1) Steamworld Dig 2
2) Guacamelee
3) Hollow Knight
4) Axiom Verge
5) Fluidity

I really need to play more of this genre. There's quite a lot of new ones that I've been hoping to grab, but then something happens. Looking forward to seeing more recommendations and nominations to help me pick my next adventure.

Also, I'm kind of considering not doing a major studio Metroidvania poll, considering that the offerings aren't as deep. I'll still take nominations, but I'm not sure we'll end up with a strong poll from the choices.

Yeah, that's what I realized as I was trying to make nominations. I tried to only nominate serious, explicit examples of the genre that weren't part of the genre's namesake, but there's literally nothing from major studios outside of Metroid and Castlevania that has explicitly tried a take on this genre, save for a handful of shovelware, and I'd argue the first Shantae, but Shantae is more known by its indie titles now.

I'd suggest maybe instead of a major studios poll, we try something else, like a "if you like Metroidvanias, you might also like" kind of thing, doesn't have to be a poll, could just be a topic for the thread.

As for indies, I could easily name 10, if not 20 Metroidvanias worth playing. It seems upon reflection that it wasn't until the onset of the era of indies that the genre expanded beyond the series that inspired the name.



HylianSwordsman said:
super_etecoon said:
Indie
1) Steamworld Dig 2
2) Guacamelee
3) Hollow Knight
4) Axiom Verge
5) Fluidity

I really need to play more of this genre. There's quite a lot of new ones that I've been hoping to grab, but then something happens. Looking forward to seeing more recommendations and nominations to help me pick my next adventure.

Also, I'm kind of considering not doing a major studio Metroidvania poll, considering that the offerings aren't as deep. I'll still take nominations, but I'm not sure we'll end up with a strong poll from the choices.

Yeah, that's what I realized as I was trying to make nominations. I tried to only nominate serious, explicit examples of the genre that weren't part of the genre's namesake, but there's literally nothing from major studios outside of Metroid and Castlevania that has explicitly tried a take on this genre, save for a handful of shovelware, and I'd argue the first Shantae, but Shantae is more known by its indie titles now.

I'd suggest maybe instead of a major studios poll, we try something else, like a "if you like Metroidvanias, you might also like" kind of thing, doesn't have to be a poll, could just be a topic for the thread.

As for indies, I could easily name 10, if not 20 Metroidvanias worth playing. It seems upon reflection that it wasn't until the onset of the era of indies that the genre expanded beyond the series that inspired the name.

I wouldn't be surprised if there isn't already a Metroidvania thread.  I wouldn't be surprised if I made it, either.  Haha.  I'll have to look.  But yes, indie developers have given us this Metroidvania Renaissance.  It's kind of a shame, too, because it's obviously a powerful genre that gets people excited.  We can only imagine what a fully funded, major budget go at the genre would produce.  Of course, I'm not sure they'd be able to compete with what's already been released.  Maybe they're afraid to be shown up by their "lesser" counterparts.



super_etecoon said:
Indie
1) Steamworld Dig 2
2) Guacamelee
3) Hollow Knight
4) Axiom Verge
5) Fluidity

I really need to play more of this genre. There's quite a lot of new ones that I've been hoping to grab, but then something happens. Looking forward to seeing more recommendations and nominations to help me pick my next adventure.

Also, I'm kind of considering not doing a major studio Metroidvania poll, considering that the offerings aren't as deep. I'll still take nominations, but I'm not sure we'll end up with a strong poll from the choices.

Oh man, I love Fluidity.  I think of it more as a puzzle platformer than a Metroidvania, but there are a handful of power ups, so I guess it counts.  Any time that game can get some love, I will support it.



NNID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing/Backlog:
Wii U - Currently Gaming Like It's 2014 (Hyrule Warriors) - 11 games in backlog
3DS - Currently Gaming Like It's 2013 (Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon) - 7 games in backlog
PC - Currently Gaming Like It's 2009 (Borderlands) - 9 games in backlog
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links