Quantcast
Rumor: Secret Email Hints At Huge PS5 Reveal In Feb 2020

Forums - Sony Discussion - Rumor: Secret Email Hints At Huge PS5 Reveal In Feb 2020

CGI-Quality said:
Cerebralbore101 said:
Well, whenever the PS5 is released, I think most people would be best off waiting a couple years. The PS3 took until summer 2008 to really start getting good exclusive games. PS4 didn't have much outside of Bloodborne, and Infamous for the first couple years. Best model of the PS3 came out in 2008. PS4 didn't get a its best model until 2016. Even PS2 had the slim later on.

Anyway, don't get a PS5 at launch. Sony is awesome, but the first couple years of PS consoles have been rough the last couple generations.

Eh, I don't really feel like it's ever been that bad. The first couple of years for the PS3 saw Heavenly Sword, Resistance Fall of Man, Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, and Warhawk (all fantastic games). PS4 saw inFamous: Second Son, Bloodborne, Until Dawn, and LP3 (and this doesn't include time exclusives like OUTLAST and Warframe). In fact, no consoles have the build up that PlayStations do, because even their appetizer titles can be worth own the platform for.  

That said, I expect at least one major title for the PS5's launch window (even launch day). 

I never liked Resistance. The lore was good, but the level design was circa 1999. Never played Heavenly Sword. Uncharted was awesome, and I've heard good things about Warhawk. Until Dawn came out in late August of 2015, and was basically the turning point. That's when PS4 started to really take off in terms of good games. But that's more or less right around the two year mark for the console.

LBP3 was on PS3, so it didn't matter.

Edit: Switch had a bonkers first year. Wii was crazy with good games out of the gate too. Xbox launched with Halo. Dreamcast was stacked with amazing games for the two years that it existed. 360 had Halo 3, Mass Effect, Dead Rising, and Crackdown in the first two years.  So IMO there have been consoles that have done better than Playstation consoles out of the gate. 

Last edited by Cerebralbore101 - 6 days ago

Around the Network
Cerebralbore101 said:
CGI-Quality said:

Eh, I don't really feel like it's ever been that bad. The first couple of years for the PS3 saw Heavenly Sword, Resistance Fall of Man, Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, and Warhawk (all fantastic games). PS4 saw inFamous: Second Son, Bloodborne, Until Dawn, and LP3 (and this doesn't include time exclusives like OUTLAST and Warframe). In fact, no consoles have the build up that PlayStations do, because even their appetizer titles can be worth own the platform for.  

That said, I expect at least one major title for the PS5's launch window (even launch day). 

I never liked Resistance. The lore was good, but the level design was circa 1999. Never played Heavenly Sword. Uncharted was awesome, and I've heard good things about Warhawk. Until Dawn came out in late August of 2015, and was basically the turning point. That's when PS4 started to really take off in terms of good games. But that's more or less right around the two year mark for the console.

LBP3 was on PS3, so it didn't matter.

Edit: Switch had a bonkers first year. Wii was crazy with good games out of the gate too. Xbox launched with Halo. Dreamcast was stacked with amazing games for the two years that it existed. 360 had Halo 3, Mass Effect, Dead Rising, and Crackdown in the first two years.  So IMO there have been consoles that have done better than Playstation consoles out of the gate. 

Well, you not playing (or liking) those games is of no consequence. :P

Point is the games existed and helped things along (LBP3, for example, was better on PS4 and also sold considerably better on it). This is like saying Halo: Infinite won't matter for the Scarlett because of the PC/X1 versions. 

Also, it's irrelevant if other systems do better than PlayStation out of the gate. Historically, they run out of steam before it too, which was my point. One of the reasons people buy PlayStation consoles early is because the brand has a proven track record of consistency with longevity. PS5 should be no different.

Last edited by CGI-Quality - 6 days ago

                                                                                                                                            

CGI-Quality said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

I never liked Resistance. The lore was good, but the level design was circa 1999. Never played Heavenly Sword. Uncharted was awesome, and I've heard good things about Warhawk. Until Dawn came out in late August of 2015, and was basically the turning point. That's when PS4 started to really take off in terms of good games. But that's more or less right around the two year mark for the console.

LBP3 was on PS3, so it didn't matter.

Edit: Switch had a bonkers first year. Wii was crazy with good games out of the gate too. Xbox launched with Halo. Dreamcast was stacked with amazing games for the two years that it existed. 360 had Halo 3, Mass Effect, Dead Rising, and Crackdown in the first two years.  So IMO there have been consoles that have done better than Playstation consoles out of the gate. 

Well, you not playing (or liking) those games is of no consequence. :P

Point is those games existed and helped things along (LBP3, for example, was better on PS4 and also sold better on it ~ unless, of course, you're going to say that Halo: infinite won't matter for the Scarlett). And, it's irrelevant if other systems do better than PlayStation out of the gate. Historically, they also run out of steam before it, which was my point. People buy PlayStation consoles early because it has proven track record of consistency with games. PS5 should be no different.

I would say that Halo Infinite doesn't matter for Scarlet. In fact I would say that none of the XB1's exclusives matter so long as they are playable on PC. 

I agree absolutely with the bolded. PS consoles just keep going, and going, and going, once they gain steam. Sony has the best mix of 3rd party AAA games, and world class first party content. 

I'm just saying some people might want to wait a few years, because Playstation consoles have been slow out of the gate with good exclusives. That and the first model of a PS system has been the model to not get for the past few generations. 



Cerebralbore101 said:
CGI-Quality said:

~ snip

I would say that Halo Infinite doesn't matter for Scarlet. In fact I would say that none of the XB1's exclusives matter so long as they are playable on PC. 

I agree absolutely with the bolded. PS consoles just keep going, and going, and going, once they gain steam. Sony has the best mix of 3rd party AAA games, and world class first party content. 

I'm just saying some people might want to wait a few years, because Playstation consoles have been slow out of the gate with good exclusives. That and the first model of a PS system has been the model to not get for the past few generations. 

I'm unaware of this. Got a first model of both the PS3 and 4 and they were solid machines. 

Still, I'm simply saying that, just because a system is slow out of the gate with good exclusives (which, right now, we don't even know if that will be the case for PS5) doesn't mean the device isn't worth owning early. And, everyone has their own interpretation of a 'good game'. For many, the early PS4 games were a good bunch to buy while they waited for some of the bigger stuff. 



                                                                                                                                            

Just wondering what Sony fans are most excited about when it comes to this reveal:

Specs, Form Factor, Controller Design, User Interface, Tech demos, Game announcements?



Around the Network

super_etecoon said:
Just wondering what Sony fans are most excited about when it comes to this reveal:

Specs - Besides the SSD, I'm not as excited, per se, as I am intrigued

Form Factor - Doesn't matter much to me, but maybe something about the size of the PS4 Slim

Controller Design - Hopefully not much different than the DS4

User Interface - So long as it's at least as fast as the PS4's, then I'm good

Tech demos - Eh, I'm a PC gamer :P

Game announcements - A new Siren, whatever from Naughty Dog/Santa Monica/JP Studio and the acquisition of the Silent Hill franchise from Konami :P

Mine.



                                                                                                                                            

CGI-Quality said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

I would say that Halo Infinite doesn't matter for Scarlet. In fact I would say that none of the XB1's exclusives matter so long as they are playable on PC. 

I agree absolutely with the bolded. PS consoles just keep going, and going, and going, once they gain steam. Sony has the best mix of 3rd party AAA games, and world class first party content. 

I'm just saying some people might want to wait a few years, because Playstation consoles have been slow out of the gate with good exclusives. That and the first model of a PS system has been the model to not get for the past few generations. 

I'm unaware of this. Got a first model of both the PS3 and 4 and they were solid machines. 

Still, I'm simply saying that, just because a system is slow out of the gate with good exclusives (which, right now, we don't even know if that will be the case for PS5) doesn't mean the device isn't worth owning early. And, everyone has their own interpretation of a 'good game'. For many, the early PS4 games were a good bunch to buy while they waited for some of the bigger stuff. 

The 2008 80 GB PS3 model was slimmer, less noisy, and cost $200 less than the 60 GB launch model. 

Both the PS4 and XB1 were kind of underpowered for next gen consoles IMO. MS launched with Kinect for $500, and Sony only had to match that, or slightly beat it for $400. I didn't get a PS4 until late 2015 because I didn't think the price was worth it until then. 

Hopefully PS5 will launch powerful enough so that a Pro version of the PS5 isn't even a thought in Sony's mind. 



Hm, I'm curious what the plans for VR are... From the phrasing it sounds like 2nd gen won't be available on launch.
Will existing PSVR be compatible with PS5? Will PS5 specific VR games actually deliver with new gen around the corner?
What they managed to do with PSVR budget and PS4 performance was impressive, interesting where PSVR2 goes...?



Cerebralbore101 said:
CGI-Quality said:

I'm unaware of this. Got a first model of both the PS3 and 4 and they were solid machines. 

Still, I'm simply saying that, just because a system is slow out of the gate with good exclusives (which, right now, we don't even know if that will be the case for PS5) doesn't mean the device isn't worth owning early. And, everyone has their own interpretation of a 'good game'. For many, the early PS4 games were a good bunch to buy while they waited for some of the bigger stuff. 

The 2008 80 GB PS3 model was slimmer, less noisy, and cost $200 less than the 60 GB launch model. 

I'm aware of that, but from a functional perspective, it was fine. Not an RRoD-esque situation

Both the PS4 and XB1 were kind of underpowered for next gen consoles IMO. MS launched with Kinect for $500, and Sony only had to match that, or slightly beat it for $400. I didn't get a PS4 until late 2015 because I didn't think the price was worth it until then. 

Eh, I think they were appropriate for what the aim was. Any more power would have meant paying more. After the PS3 situation, it made sense, and the device put out visuals that were a big enough jump forward that worked.



Hopefully PS5 will launch powerful enough so that a Pro version of the PS5 isn't even a thought in Sony's mind. 

A Pro version will be there regardless, because from a pure business side, such a device makes sense.

My take.



                                                                                                                                            

super_etecoon said:
Just wondering what Sony fans are most excited about when it comes to this reveal:

Specs, Form Factor, Controller Design, User Interface, Tech demos, Game announcements?

Specs: Give me the best bang for buck $600 console you can make. 

Form Factor: As long as it doesn't look like a George Foreman grill, I'm good. 

Controller: Better battery, and kill the light bar. Thanks. 

UI: I shouldn't have to go through four screens just to watch Crunchyroll. I should be able to customize my homepage, and delete useless apps from the homepage. No ads on the homepage, or other annoying bloat. Just play games, and movies. Stop trying to make Playstation so much like Android, or iOS. Those systems are trash. 

Tech Demos: Don't care. 

Game Announcements: Get at least one big exclusive game a year for the first two years. Horizon 2, and GoW 2 should launch in 2021, and 2022, for example. Have at least two smaller exclusive games a year to go alongside them. This would total 6 good exclusives in the first two years.