Quantcast
Global Hardware 27 July 2019

Forums - Latest Charts - Global Hardware 27 July 2019

Isn't PS4 undertracked?



Around the Network
Pinkie_pie said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

Corrected and added the context you failed to mention or acknowledge.

Given the context, it looks like you really don't. After all, the Switch was selling about 40-50k more each week until the announcement of Switch lite and upgraded base model already, but everybody who is saying that the PS4 is dominating is treating the Switch like those sub 200k are normal sales for the console while they really aren't. And even then, it still stays on top.

In other words, the PS4 couldn't even beat a supply-constrained console which is getting two replacements about 1 and two months from that date. That's not domination, that's clearly showing it's age and that it's way past it's zenith.

On the other hand, for a six year old console, it's truly doing great - it just can't keep up with the Switch anymore under normal conditions.

Edit: Whoops, didn't see the thread warning, sorry!

There was no supply constraint. Ps4 even outselling the switch this year before the two successors announcement. Total domination for a console in its 6th year. A 6 year old nintendo system had never and will never sell as well as the ps4 in its 6th year

Going by the very chart supplied on this page, the DS sold over 20m in 2010...



DON'T WIN ME CHIBI BUDDY DON'T WIN ME.

ANIMAL CROSSING NEW LEAF FRIEND CODE:- 5129 1175 1029. MESSAGE ME.
ANDY MURRAY:- GRAND SLAM WINNER!

In my opinion the N64 was not just the best console of the 5th gen but, to this day the best console ever created!

peachbuggy said:
Pinkie_pie said:

There was no supply constraint. Ps4 even outselling the switch this year before the two successors announcement. Total domination for a console in its 6th year. A 6 year old nintendo system had never and will never sell as well as the ps4 in its 6th year

Going by the very chart supplied on this page, the DS sold over 20m in 2010...

I stand corrected. That must be a record if true. No console will ever sell 20m in its 6th year or beyond ever again



Pinkie_pie said:
peachbuggy said:

Going by the very chart supplied on this page, the DS sold over 20m in 2010...

I stand corrected. That must be a record if true. No console will ever sell 20m in its 6th year or beyond ever again

You just wait! When the Dreamcast 3 launches in 2045, you're gonna eat your words...



Pinkie_pie said:
peachbuggy said:

Going by the very chart supplied on this page, the DS sold over 20m in 2010...

I stand corrected. That must be a record if true. No console will ever sell 20m in its 6th year or beyond ever again

Gameboy released in April 1989 and shipped over 36 million from April 1999-March 2001. That's ~18 million/year a decade after launch.



When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
Pinkie_pie said:

Total domination for a console in its 6th year. A 6 year old nintendo system had never and will never sell as well as the ps4 in its 6th year

6th year sales (from time on market, not 6th calendar year.)

DS - 20.62m
PS2 - 16.22m
360 - 13.81m
PS3 - 12.15m
PS1 - 9.31m
PSP - 9.24m
3DS - 7.48m
Wii - 4.41m
Vita - 0.74m
WiiU - 0m

So yeah as has always been pointed out the DS wins, but then for the second best we go all the way down to 7.48m for the 3DS. DS really was very different in terms of it's sales curve compared to other Nintendo Consoles.

Here's a table showing how many of a systems total sales came from it's first 4 years on market:

First 4 Years
WiiU 99.10%
Wii 83.20%
Vita 81.10%
3DS 68.00%
DS 60.40%
PSP 57.40%
PS1 53.20%
PS3 53.20%
PS2 46.00%
X360 43.40%

So Nintendo consoles are definitely much more front loaded than others, with DS being the one with the longest sales curve. So for the most part Nintendo consoles sell fast for a shorter time, while PS/MS systems last longer.

zorg1000 said:

Gameboy released in April 1989 and shipped over 36 million from April 1999-March 2001. That's ~18 million/year a decade after launch.

Personally I don't count GBC sales towards the original Gameboy, it's a system with 480 exclusive retail games, and it came out 9 years after the original. I find it weird to not view it as a successor but I know most people don't.

I mean it's sales curve clearly show it's not normal.

Also Gameboy is classed as 4th generation and GBC as 5th generation so it's weird to view them as the same. I think the main reason is just because Nintendo grouped the sales.

Last edited by Barkley - on 14 August 2019

LTD Sales Predictions: PS4 - 130m, Switch - 110m, XBO - 52m
2019 Sales : PS4 - 15m, Switch - 18.8m, XBO - 4.8m
2020 Sales: Switch - 22m (Peak Year)

zorg1000 said:
Pinkie_pie said:

I stand corrected. That must be a record if true. No console will ever sell 20m in its 6th year or beyond ever again

Gameboy released in April 1989 and shipped over 36 million from April 1999-March 2001. That's ~18 million/year a decade after launch.

 Gameboy color is like the successor to the gameboy. Nearly everyone who owned a gameboy owned a gameboy color



Barkley said:
Pinkie_pie said:

Total domination for a console in its 6th year. A 6 year old nintendo system had never and will never sell as well as the ps4 in its 6th year

6th year sales (from time on market, not 6th calendar year.)

DS - 20.62m
PS2 - 16.22m
360 - 13.81m
PS3 - 12.15m
PS1 - 9.31m
PSP - 9.24m
3DS - 7.48m
Wii - 4.41m
Vita - 0.74m
WiiU - 0m

So yeah as has always been pointed out the DS wins, but then for the second best we go all the way down to 7.48m for the 3DS. DS really was very different in terms of it's sales curve compared to other Nintendo Consoles.

Here's a table showing how many of a systems total sales came from it's first 4 years on market:

First 4 Years
WiiU 99.10%
Wii 83.20%
Vita 81.10%
3DS 68.00%
DS 60.40%
PSP 57.40%
PS1 53.20%
PS3 53.20%
PS2 46.00%
X360 43.40%

So Nintendo consoles are definitely much more front loaded than others, with DS being the one with the longest sales curve. So for the most part Nintendo consoles sell fast for a shorter time, while PS/MS systems last longer.

Yeah i thought all nintendo consoles were front loaded and thats why i didnt think any nintendo console would sell 15m in its 6th year. The original ds was big ugly so that helped. 



Pinkie_pie said:
peachbuggy said:

Going by the very chart supplied on this page, the DS sold over 20m in 2010...

I stand corrected. That must be a record if true. No console will ever sell 20m in its 6th year or beyond ever again

Careful with such declarations. They tend to backfire quite a bit.

Who knows, maybe the Switch or one of the next gen consoles will already manage that feat. I wouldn't rule it out so quickly just yet. Sure, it won't be anywhere near easy, but certainly not impossible.



Pinkie_pie said:
peachbuggy said:

Going by the very chart supplied on this page, the DS sold over 20m in 2010...

I stand corrected. That must be a record if true. No console will ever sell 20m in its 6th year or beyond ever again

Never say never but I agree it is a possibility.



DON'T WIN ME CHIBI BUDDY DON'T WIN ME.

ANIMAL CROSSING NEW LEAF FRIEND CODE:- 5129 1175 1029. MESSAGE ME.
ANDY MURRAY:- GRAND SLAM WINNER!

In my opinion the N64 was not just the best console of the 5th gen but, to this day the best console ever created!