Quantcast
Ps4 @100mill shipped!

Forums - Sony Discussion - Ps4 @100mill shipped!

Azuren said:
So when are we going to start preparing the Crow Dinners for everyone who said PS4 wouldn't pass Wii?



Around the Network
chakkra said:
JRPGfan said:

and then....  lifetime sales probably play out like:

PS4 ~130m+
XB1 ~50m+
NSW ~90m+

Compaired to last gen, things are much the same, right?
Not sure why every console gen has to be pronounced as the last one.

This is the one that bugs me the most tbh.

Ehhh... I hate to be that guy but things are not actually quite the same..

7th GEN
Wii=101.6
PS3=87.4
360=85.8
DS=154.0
PSP=80.8
Total 590.6

8th GEN
PS4=130
X1 = 55
NS = 100
3DS = 78
Vita=16.5
WiiU=13.6
Total 393.6

I mean, it is easy to get caught up on PS4 and Switch's apparent success, but people tend to forget that the handheld segment from Sony dissapeared, while Nintendo had to merge its two segments into one, and yet, even counting NS, 3DS and Wii U as part of the same generation, the numbers don't come even close.

And I´m not saying this shrinkage will continue as we don´t really know. But the shrinkage happened. There is no way around it.

All that really shows i as you mention, the handheld market died off. 7th gen had 230M sales for handhelds alone for crying out loud. But what's funny is that that market actually expanded, it just expanded into an area we don't track... smart devices phones and tablets. Like which kid doesn't have a $50 amazon tablet these days that does way more for them than a handheld device ever could.

If you look at the home console in the 8th gen, however, you will notice that the home console market has actually grown from the 7th gen to the 8th gen, 276M to 298M,  and that growth is likely to happen in a shorter period of time too.



Intrinsic said:
chakkra said:

Ehhh... I hate to be that guy but things are not actually quite the same..

7th GEN
Wii=101.6
PS3=87.4
360=85.8
DS=154.0
PSP=80.8
Total 590.6

8th GEN
PS4=130
X1 = 55
NS = 100
3DS = 78
Vita=16.5
WiiU=13.6
Total 393.6

I mean, it is easy to get caught up on PS4 and Switch's apparent success, but people tend to forget that the handheld segment from Sony dissapeared, while Nintendo had to merge its two segments into one, and yet, even counting NS, 3DS and Wii U as part of the same generation, the numbers don't come even close.

And I´m not saying this shrinkage will continue as we don´t really know. But the shrinkage happened. There is no way around it.

All that really shows i as you mention, the handheld market died off. 7th gen had 230M sales for handhelds alone for crying out loud. But what's funny is that that market actually expanded, it just expanded into an area we don't track... smart devices phones and tablets. Like which kid doesn't have a $50 amazon tablet these days that does way more for them than a handheld device ever could.

If you look at the home console in the 8th gen, however, you will notice that the home console market has actually grown from the 7th gen to the 8th gen, 276M to 298M,  and that growth is likely to happen in a shorter period of time too.

It gets a little tricky comparing 7th to 8th gen home consoles.

PS3+360+Wii=~275m

PS4+XBO+Wii U=~200m

Do we include Switch with 8th gen or will it be 9th gen? Also how do we classify it as solely a home console when its handheld aspect is a huge selling point and has a portable only sku on the horizon?



When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

chakkra said:
JRPGfan said:

and then....  lifetime sales probably play out like:

PS4 ~130m+
XB1 ~50m+
NSW ~90m+

Compaired to last gen, things are much the same, right?
Not sure why every console gen has to be pronounced as the last one.

This is the one that bugs me the most tbh.

Ehhh... I hate to be that guy but things are not actually quite the same..

7th GEN
Wii=101.6
PS3=87.4
360=85.8
DS=154.0
PSP=80.8
Total 590.6

8th GEN
PS4=130
X1 = 55
NS = 100
3DS = 78
Vita=16.5
WiiU=13.6
Total 393.6

I mean, it is easy to get caught up on PS4 and Switch's apparent success, but people tend to forget that the handheld segment from Sony dissapeared, while Nintendo had to merge its two segments into one, and yet, even counting NS, 3DS and Wii U as part of the same generation, the numbers don't come even close.

And I´m not saying this shrinkage will continue as we don´t really know. But the shrinkage happened. There is no way around it.

Or you could pick also gen 5 and 6, compare the last 4 gen... see that gen 7 was the anomaly and a lot of casual buyers that weren't market before or after that gen inflated the number.



duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

zorg1000 said:
Intrinsic said:

All that really shows i as you mention, the handheld market died off. 7th gen had 230M sales for handhelds alone for crying out loud. But what's funny is that that market actually expanded, it just expanded into an area we don't track... smart devices phones and tablets. Like which kid doesn't have a $50 amazon tablet these days that does way more for them than a handheld device ever could.

If you look at the home console in the 8th gen, however, you will notice that the home console market has actually grown from the 7th gen to the 8th gen, 276M to 298M,  and that growth is likely to happen in a shorter period of time too.

It gets a little tricky comparing 7th to 8th gen home consoles.

PS3+360+Wii=~275m

PS4+XBO+Wii U=~200m

Do we include Switch with 8th gen or will it be 9th gen? Also how do we classify it as solely a home console when its handheld aspect is a huge selling point and has a portable only sku on the horizon?

With regards to switch?

  1. It's an 8th gen console. Primarily because it shares its library with other 8th gen consoles. And this will be more evident when the 9th gen comes along and people see that when the PS4/XB1 stop getting 9th gen ports/cross-gen games, so will the Switch. Why compare it to 9th gen consoles if the majority of its multiplat titles are from the 8th gen. 

    I am willing to be pleasantly surprised though and my theory proved wrong if 2+ years into the 9th gen the Switch still gets 9th gen games while the PS4/XB1 stop getting them.

  2. As it has been drummed into our collective skulls, the Switch isn't a home console or a handheld... its both. So we have to count it as both. We either just group it with home consoles, or with handhelds or count it twice for each category. Now personally I always felt it was just a handheld that could be plugged into a TV (and had my head chewed off for suggesting so) and one could argue that Nintendo has kinda confirmed as much with the new dockless SKU being released soon. But I am willing to bet that shortly after that SKU is released Nintendo will make a $60 USB C to HDMI cable available to plug that handheld into a TV too.


Around the Network
Azuren said:
So when are we going to start preparing the Crow Dinners for everyone who said PS4 wouldn't pass Wii?



PortisheadBiscuit said:
Azuren said:
So when are we going to start preparing the Crow Dinners for everyone who said PS4 wouldn't pass Wii?

We had a couple of crazies that said PS4 wouldn't cross 100M when it was between 90-95M.



duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

thismeintiel said:

XBOX

ALL CONSOLES - 154.52M across 3 consoles = 51.51M average

So the PS2 sold more than all the Xbox consoles combined so far?... Damn...



estebxx said:
thismeintiel said:

XBOX

ALL CONSOLES - 154.52M across 3 consoles = 51.51M average

So the PS2 sold more than all the Xbox consoles combined so far?... Damn...

Yep. And it might take the release of a 4th console to actually pass it, depending on how much XBO drops next year.



thismeintiel said:
estebxx said:

So the PS2 sold more than all the Xbox consoles combined so far?... Damn...

Yep. And it might take the release of a 4th console to actually pass it, depending on how much XBO drops next year.

Uh... XBO needs to sell just 3.15m more... so no. 



Predictions (Made July 2019)

LTD: PS4 - 130m, Switch - 110m, XBO - 52m       2019 : PS4 - 15m, Switch - 18.8m, XBO - 4.8m        2020: Switch - 22m (Peak Year)