Quantcast
I see now what Nintendo's plan was when they entered Switch mid console cycle for PS4XBONE

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - I see now what Nintendo's plan was when they entered Switch mid console cycle for PS4XBONE

RolStoppable said:
An absolutely awful original post, but I think that might have been intended.

There's nothing unusual about the timing of Switch because the 3DS launched in early 2011 and was due for a successor after six years. There's also nothing unusual about a failed console (in this case the Wii U) getting a successor after only four to five years (Saturn, Gamecube, Xbox). Anyone who believes that Nintendo was somehow obligated to drag out the 3DS for eight years and the Wii U for six years has no clue whatsoever. Due to Switch being the successor to both the Wii U and 3DS, it was always bound to be that the Wii U and 3DS would have different lengths for their respective lifespans. The odd one out is Microsoft whose Xbox One has no business to have seven years before its successor is out and it really shows in its weekly global sales more than one year before Scarlett is supposed to launch. Nintendo started the next gen when it was due based on historical standards, Microsoft was oblivious to their situation. If Microsoft had made appropriate moves for the console business, they would have forced Sony's hand and then the generation Switch, Scarlett and PS5 would have launched closer to each other than it will actually do.

You spend time talking about a Switch Pro when Sony and Microsoft will have their hands full with competing with Switch as it is. Nintendo won't be hiding any hardware sales. Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 is a Nintendo game.

As for what Nintendo's plans were... the return to #1 in the console business. Nintendo sold the most consoles during the fiscal year ending March 2018, the one after that, they'll be #1 in the current fiscal year too and there's a very high chance that that streak will last beyond that. One additional year is a given anyway.

Pretty much this. In FY16, 3DS+Wii U had only shipped 10 million units of hardware and 75 million units of software and things were only going to get worse if Nintendo waited a few more years to release new hardware to coincide with the next PS/XB consoles. We would be looking at Nintendo hardware/software shipments withering away to nothing while suffering huge losses.



When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
thismeintiel said:
RolStoppable said:
You spend time talking about a Switch Pro when Sony and Microsoft will have their hands full with competing with Switch as it is. Nintendo won't be hiding any hardware sales. Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 is a Nintendo game.

As for what Nintendo's plans were... the return to #1 in the console business. Nintendo sold the most consoles during the fiscal year ending March 2018, the one after that, they'll be #1 in the current fiscal year too and there's a very high chance that that streak will last beyond that. One additional year is a given anyway.

Except they really aren't competing. Xbox's sales problem has to do with failing to appeal to consumer's with HW and SW, not because of the Switch. PS4's are still pretty damn good for a console that's been $299 for the last 2 1/2+ years, and will improve once it gets a price cut this year. That has nothing to do with the Switch. On the same token, those consoles don't seem to be harming the Switch when they have sales/price cuts.

You might want to look up those numbers, again, cause the PS4 outsold the Switch by ~4M units in that FY. This past FY it also outsold it by 850K units. In terms of sales and profits, they are hardly #1. Well, unless you're speaking of globally in Japan.

He said Nintendo, not Switch.



When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Poliwrathlord said:
Chrkeller said:
Switch 2, meh. I hope the next switch is Super Switch.

Personally I hope the next console is called Nintendo Switch Advance. That would be a really cool throw back.

Nintendo Switch Super Advance?



Chrkeller said:
Poliwrathlord said:

Personally I hope the next console is called Nintendo Switch Advance. That would be a really cool throw back.

Nintendo Switch Super Advance?

New Nintendo Super Switch Advance. If they name it that then 100 M. + consoles sold are guaranteed. 



Predictions for global hardware sales by end of 2017: PS4 - 70M. Xbone - 33M. Switch - 7M. 

"There is a need for parents to touch children first." - Tatsumi Kimishima, 2017

Mar1217 said:
Chrkeller said:
Switch 2, meh. I hope the next switch is Super Switch.

Yes plz, I don't want them to go the boring way of the Playstation (sorry but it's true).

But do you want them to launch a new console, and consumers "not understanding" that its actually a new product?

Super Switch, runs into the issue of people mistakeing it for a "new 3ds" like situtation, or a WiiU situation.
Not understanding that it means "its time to upgrade to play new things", which results in sales going away.

Keep it Simple, Stupid (KISS).

Basically dont do anything that can confuse consumers of any kinde...... ESP if your product is a hit amoung casuals.

Super Switch --> potential WiiU nameing mishap waiting to happend.

Chrkeller said:
Poliwrathlord said:

Personally I hope the next console is called Nintendo Switch Advance. That would be a really cool throw back.

Nintendo Switch Super Advance?

Or just keep it simple? Do you really need to brand name + 2 buzz words + actual console name in it? And would people actually "understand" that it means a new console generation (eps if you dont actually change the console name)?
because "Nintendo Switch Super Advance" sounds like a trap, instead of a new console gen.

This sounds just like the Wii -> WiiU to me.



Around the Network
Poliwrathlord said:
Chrkeller said:

Nintendo Switch Super Advance?

New Nintendo Super Switch Advance. If they name it that then 100 M. + consoles sold are guaranteed. 

Your already confused :)  (or I am?)

the "new" nintendo Super Switch Advance is obviously the 3rd gen of Switch's right?
or is it a 2nd gen one with a bigger screen? Not confusing at all.... Im sure that ll be great for consumers.



I wonder how a professional Switch is going to allow users to make money? That they're calling it "professional" says a lot about the console.
Are they opening up a monetization avenue for gamers via streaming and competitive gaming?
Are they providing dev tools to users to make their own games?



I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

JRPGfan said:
Poliwrathlord said:

New Nintendo Super Switch Advance. If they name it that then 100 M. + consoles sold are guaranteed. 

Your already confused :)  (or I am?)

the "new" nintendo Super Switch Advance is obviously the 3rd gen of Switch's right?
or is it a 2nd gen one with a bigger screen? Not confusing at all.... Im sure that ll be great for consumers.

So call it Wii Switch Too U?



thismeintiel said:
RolStoppable said:
You spend time talking about a Switch Pro when Sony and Microsoft will have their hands full with competing with Switch as it is. Nintendo won't be hiding any hardware sales. Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 is a Nintendo game.

As for what Nintendo's plans were... the return to #1 in the console business. Nintendo sold the most consoles during the fiscal year ending March 2018, the one after that, they'll be #1 in the current fiscal year too and there's a very high chance that that streak will last beyond that. One additional year is a given anyway.

Except they really aren't competing. Xbox's sales problem has to do with failing to appeal to consumer's with HW and SW, not because of the Switch. PS4's are still pretty damn good for a console that's been $299 for the last 2 1/2+ years, and will improve once it gets a price cut this year. That has nothing to do with the Switch. On the same token, those consoles don't seem to be harming the Switch when they have sales/price cuts.

You might want to look up those numbers, again, cause the PS4 outsold the Switch by ~4M units in that FY. This past FY it also outsold it by 850K units. In terms of sales and profits, they are hardly #1. Well, unless you're speaking of globally in Japan.

They are competing, it's just that people want to turn a blind eye to anything below the layer of AAA third party support. Sony and Microsoft act quite oblivious to it too, hence why they are going ahead and will launch consoles that will likely cost $499. There are similarities to the seventh gen where Nintendo was written off and then won the generation with ease. The major difference this time around is that Switch is established as a strong console for single-player games, so there won't be a shortage of such content. There's now a lot of overlap in the game releases for Nintendo, PS and Xbox when the entirety of the software market is taken into account. Switch has an advantage due to its hybrid nature as people begin to realize that Switch allows them to finish more of the games they buy.

I wasn't talking about Switch vs. PS4, but overall. Nintendo sold the most consoles during each of the past two fiscal year and will sell the most during each of the following two fiscal years. This means that during the fiscal year ending March 2021 Switch will outdo the PS4 and PS5 combined.



Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Gamers Club

Chrkeller said:
JRPGfan said:

Your already confused :)  (or I am?)

the "new" nintendo Super Switch Advance is obviously the 3rd gen of Switch's right?
or is it a 2nd gen one with a bigger screen? Not confusing at all.... Im sure that ll be great for consumers.

So call it Wii Switch Too U?

Perfection!